PDA

View Full Version : Cross Tubular Question

alembical
10-08-2010, 12:31 PM
I apologize for asking something that has been asked countless times before, but I need some advice and am going to ask anyway.

I need some new tubular tires for cross. I only have one set of tubular wheels, but countless clincher sets with wide ranging tires mounted, Mud2, Raze, Small block 8, Grifo, etc... I weigh 185 pounds and race in the typically muddy Pacific NW.

I had Grifo in 30 width before on my tubular wheels and wished that I had a little more volume. I am contemplating the Grifo again in either 32 or 34, but also considering the Fango, although have been lately been steered away from the Fango.

Numerous people are recommending the FMB Grippo (especially Molly, but she sells them). I have Rocket Rons and Racing Ralphs on my MTB and have really liked them.

Problem is that money is tight. The FMBs are over $120 a piece. I can get the Challenge tires for $56 each.

I am leaning towards the Grifo in 32, but any thoughts? FMBs worth the money for someone who just races for fun? What about the Fango, worth a closer look? What about 32 vs 34, or different sizes rear and front?

I have always run the Grifo in the arrow pointing forward when looking down at the tire from the bike direction. Do people here like the rear reversed?

Thanks for any thoughts and sorry about all the questions!

Alembical

redir
10-08-2010, 02:53 PM
From what I understand with most manufacturers a size 34 is simply a bigger tire with the same tread as a size 32. If you think about that then that means that the side cornering knobs are a littler higher on the tire profile so you lose some functionality IMO.

I tend to always do the rear reverse tread thing but IDk if it really means any difference. Sometimes you forget and put it on regular then you just play it off like you meant to mount it that way ;)

I used a set of FMB's with the Fango tread on them last year. The tires are definitely nice but the sidewalls are a bit weak. One good scratch against a rock and they tear easily. I didn't care for the Fango tread either, definitely not a mud tread IMO.

I'm sort of partial to Tufo's these days. They don't have a tube inside them in the traditional sense, the tube is actually laminated to the inside of the tire. So you can run really low pressures and not worry about bump flats.

Grifo's are a great bang for the buck but in the PNW mud I think I'd rather have a good mud tread

10-08-2010, 03:45 PM
First, don't go bigger than 32 mm because the UCI has now outlawed tires bigger than 33 mm. You'll get tires that no one will want to race and you may not be able to either.

Second, the PNW is about tire durability. Yes, you can ride FMBs if you buy them wholesale or get them given to you. At full retail, they are a great ride but pretty fragile, and you won't get the benefit you would in other parts of the country. Either buy cheaper, or even consider the newer Tufo designs just for durability. FMBs and Dugasts are great tires but their heavy mud tires are meant more for slop, not for the rocks and tree roots and such that you will have to contend with. Again, they are superb tires, but you wouldn't ride light road tires on logging roads either, right? You have to finish the race to place.

alembical
10-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks everyone. I have learned a lot.

Seems like Challenge, Clement and Schwalbe all have good tubular options coming out here in the near future too.

djg
10-08-2010, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't worry much about the UCI rule, which in the US is only being applied to certain elite races. OTOH, one reason not to go wider than a 32 in a Challenge or Challenge-treaded FMB is that -- at least as I've been told (and this looks right) -- they use the same tread on the two different sized casings (in particualr, the 32 tread on both the 32 and the 34). You might still like the extra volume on bumpy hard courses, but there's that.

The FMB casing is just better IMO (and I've never heard anybody who has tried them disagree). Also, Francois treats the sidewalls, which is nice. Those are super nice tires. At the same time, you get a pretty good tire with pretty good feel out of the Challenge version, at a much lower price. All kinds of people have ridden the Challenge Grifo and Fango, from aging hacks like me to serious national and international level riders.

In your boat, I might get a set of Grifo (or Fango) tubulars as all-around tires, and then maybe think about varying clinchers for more extreme conditions -- maybe something more toothy like a Mud or a Racing Ralph, or some folks like the new Clements, for when it's really sloppy (and even for pit wheels); and maybe a file tread with some extra tooth on the side for really hard and dry conditions (something like the Grifo XS), if you have those.

alembical
10-08-2010, 06:38 PM
damn.. asked the same thing next door, across the hall, or whatever you guys say and I got banned there.

I know the question has been asked before and is kind of stupid and personal, but thanks Serotta Forum members for giving me some comments... and an extra big thanks to the moderators for not banning me :)

.. I would like to thank the people who commented over there as well.... but I can't, I am banned. :rolleyes:

djg
10-08-2010, 07:11 PM
damn.. asked the same thing next door, across the hall, or whatever you guys say and I got banned there.

I know the question has been asked before and is kind of stupid and personal, but thanks Serotta Forum members for giving me some comments... and an extra big thanks to the moderators for not banning me :)

.. I would like to thank the people who commented over there as well.... but I can't, I am banned. :rolleyes:

Pete, can we please get this guy banned for saying "thanks"?

So . . . that's a joke, btw.