PDA

View Full Version : Motobecane Fantom 29er

fourflys
10-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Hey all,
So, I've been looking at 29ers and don't want to spend a load of $$$

Anyone have any experience with Bikes Direct/Motobecane mountain bike?

I'm looking at the Fantom PRO29 SL, looks like a killer deal for just under $1K...

Fantom PRO29 SL (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29pro_SL.htm)

thoughts?

Chris

BTW- I'm looking at this price range because I'm not sure about 29ers and I'm mainly a road guy...

kramnnim
10-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Looks like a pretty good deal...

Most of the people I know who own BD bikes are happy with them. Many of those who I have seen complain about BD do not own a BD bike.

fourflys
10-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Looks like a pretty good deal...

Most of the people I know who own BD bikes are happy with them. Many of those who I have seen complain about BD do not own a BD bike.

thanks, that's pretty much what I've seen as well, just thought I'd ask the collective...

anyone else?

gone
10-07-2010, 10:11 PM
I needed a cheap fixed gear a few years back and bought a Kilo TT from BD. The frame & fork were very nice for the price, the components were cheap but serviceable. In my case, I gradually upgraded the components and eventually transferred them to a better frame. The good thing was that I could do it incrementally and the bike got a bit better with each upgrade.

One piece of advice should you buy one is that you disassemble the bike and put it back together. My Kilo came with little to no lube in places and parts that weren't tightly fitted.

dogdriver
10-07-2010, 11:13 PM
If you can use a 25" TT, how about Indyrider's Ventana?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=78541&highlight=Ventana

You could build it very nicely for 1K... I've been trying to convince my neighbor to buy it, but he's having guilt issues related to a 3 week river trip he took earlier this summer...

AndrewS
10-07-2010, 11:36 PM
A lot of small things or chincy on them, particularly cable housing: Frequently it comes apart. When the wheels are unidentifiable, they are usually pretty low.

Ask BD questions, plan on treating it as an unbuilt bike. I think that mountain bikes aren't such a bad place to cheap out on the frame (who needs good "ride"' when you're on 2" tires?), so you could get something decent for the money here without too many negatives.

Or, buy used.

don'TreadOnMe
10-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Buy those Bikesdirect or Motobecanes for the parts.
The build kits are worth more than the complete bike, really.
If you like it, and dig riding the big wheels, then think about getting something nicer frame-wise and swinging the kit over.

RonW87
10-08-2010, 08:34 AM
I bought a Motobecane Fantom CX frameset a while ago. Silly good deal on a more than serviceable alu frame. Upgraded the fork from steel to an easton ec-90, threw on some old campy veloce parts, and I have a great bad weather and cross-bike. Absolutely no complaints here.

R.

jvp
10-08-2010, 08:51 AM
I bought a new '07 steel raleigh XXIX'r singlespeed last year for $400, I love it. I had to switch out the stock seatpost for a longer one, and switched to a higher quality (thicker base) cog, and added some oury grips. So maybe $100 more. But it is a blast to ride, just kind of slow on smooth flat sections.

Dave B
10-08-2010, 08:59 AM
I am sure I have gone way above what you had in mind, but if for soem reason you feel the need...and admittedly you should. Look at the bottom of this page. http://ifbikes.com/Store/Frames&Forks.html

Heck of a deal.

Call Joe and get the 411. Tell him I sent you and if you get it I'll send you some fun stuff.

nahtnoj
10-08-2010, 09:17 AM
That is the rare BD bike that doesn't have total crap for wheels. Everything there is totally usable out of the box. Fork, wheels, and RD alone are 1K.

gdw
10-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Go for it. The Fantom is a great buy at that price. The majority of the major components are outstanding and the ones which are marginal can be replaced. Check the build, make sure everything is tight and lubed, and go for a ride. If you don't like it, part it out on Ebay and make a small profit.

PS- Yo Mr P, how much is Joe paying you to pimp their frames? :banana:

Dave B
10-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Go for it. The Fantom is a great buy at that price. The majority of the major components are outstanding and the ones which are marginal can be replaced. Check the build, make sure everything is tight and lubed, and go for a ride. If you don't like it, part it out on Ebay and make a small profit.

PS- Yo Mr P, how much is Joe paying you to pimp their frames? :banana:

No I just pimp them myself, cause those cats are worth it and the bikes are awesome.

Joe is just a good pal and he usually answers the phone when you call...or Kevin, but Joe is the Man! One thing that has always stood out to me is the efforts they put back into us riders ansd customers.

You can call and talk to anyone. Also if you are like me who call all the time to chit chat and get Gary, joe, Kevin, Jaime...I still cant get Tyler on the phone, but he is effing busy a lot! They are just great guys. They also are incredibly humble.

I knwo Joe for example rides bikes that were made for others or for testing. We just had a discussion about how his corvid was the one used for testing. Things dropped on it, the bike dropped form various heights, impact stuff. Yet that is the one he is riding personally. I think that is cool they they themselves believe in their produict so much as well as the skills of the folks there that they will ride test products.

Voumes man, volumes of character.

Sorry for the thread drift. I get nothing but friendship and thanks from them for being so committed. You mention my name, maybe you get some extra stickers or a dirty t-shirt. I would love to kow that i was able to persuade someone to get an IF...to start them on their own awesome experience. That is my goal. I just have terrible loyality for them and their bikes. They don't do everything there is available, but they do what they do really well.

boy sorry for the long winded version.

Cheers

Prez

fourflys
10-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks all... While I'm sure IF are awesome bikes, the frame is almost twice what the whole Moto bike costs... a lot more than I want to spend right now...

I'm pretty set on the Fantom I think, I just have to wait until Nov. for them to get them back in stock (a good sign I think...)

Chris

fourflys
10-15-2010, 12:09 PM
so, the size I need is sold out and the 2011's will be in next month...

so, anyone else have a reason why these are NOT a killer deal when compared to the big name bikes sold in shops? (Trek/Spec./Giant) I'm not comparing this to any of the smaller builders like IF or Cococino....

Thanks,
Chris

rnhood
10-15-2010, 12:22 PM
so, anyone else have a reason why these are NOT a killer deal when compared to the big name bikes sold in shops? (Trek/Spec./Giant) I'm not comparing this to any of the smaller builders like IF or Cococino....

Thanks,
Chris

If you're not going to be mtb'ing lots a lots, it doesn't make much sense to spend a wheel barrow of money on a mountain bike. The Fantom looks like a killer deal to me. Even their Fly Ti 29'er looks like a deal and a half.