PDA

View Full Version : Identify this Serotta

dynamitedave
10-06-2010, 02:10 PM
I picked this classic up last weekend. I'm having trouble identifying the Model and approximate year it was made.

It has a steel frame, aluminum fork, aluminum Rolf Vector wheels, it's a 16 speed.

Have any idea what it's worth? I don't plan on selling it, I'm just curious.

Thanks for your info.

http://www.dynamitedave.com/dcsportbikes/serotta1.JPG

http://www.dynamitedave.com/dcsportbikes/serotta2.JPG

http://www.dynamitedave.com/dcsportbikes/serotta3.JPG

http://www.dynamitedave.com/dcsportbikes/serotta4.JPG

http://www.dynamitedave.com/dcsportbikes/serotta5.JPG

jeo99
10-06-2010, 02:37 PM
With the top-tube cable routing on the side, lugged frame, seat cluster and seat stays, flaired tubing at the BB, my guess it is an Atlanta? However, in the '99 brochure there is a lugged frame with "C3s" called the Rapid Tour. Also in that catalog is an Atlanta with the exact color scheme.

:beer:

slowgoing
10-06-2010, 02:43 PM
I have an Atlanta with that paint scheme.

Might help to look at the serial number on the bottom of the bottom bracket. If it starts with an AS, it's an Atlanta.

Ken Robb
10-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Hey Smiley, did you do this guy's fit session? :)

dynamitedave
10-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Hmm, the serial number starts with SP. Wonder what SP stands for? Anyone know?

Ken Robb
10-06-2010, 03:24 PM
I never heard of this model but I know Serotta made some frames to be sold exclusively by at least one store in SF and maybe more. The C3 seems to suggest that this bike used the same tubes as the Atlanta as opposed to the C4 tubes of the CSi but I'm guessing about this.

130R
10-06-2010, 03:29 PM
I LOVE DA 7410 :hello:

bigflax925
10-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Nice looking and nicely spec'd.

Is that a computer pickup on the back wheel?

John M
10-06-2010, 03:56 PM
It is worth what you paid for it.

Component group pegs it at mid to late 90s or so.

Kevan
10-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Isn't that the trike Lance used in winning his first tour?

alexstar
10-06-2010, 06:19 PM
I never heard of this model but I know Serotta made some frames to be sold exclusively by at least one store in SF and maybe more. The C3 seems to suggest that this bike used the same tubes as the Atlanta as opposed to the C4 tubes of the CSi but I'm guessing about this.

The model you are thinking of is the "Saratoga". IIRC they were made exclusively for City Cycle of San Francisco. I don't remember if they were branded "Serotta" anywhere on the frame. In any case, this is not one of those bikes.

Jason E
10-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Rotations in the Hamptons had a custom run of Saratoga's as well. Rick had them made up as a Women's Specific-ish run.

Read this CL add:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/1989992316.html

It refers to the bike as an "Atlanta (C3 Corsa-Strada)". Perhaps this helps identify the date a little to around '99-'00?

Jason

dynamitedave
10-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Looks like an Atlanta to me. Thanks guys. Looks like it might be worth a little more than the $20 I paid for it.

I'm going to get some new tires for it and hit the pavement.

Louis
10-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Dave,

I may be all wet on this, but just out of curiosity, how long are the crank arms? It may be my imagination, but in the first picture the left crank arm just seems "long" to my eye. On that frame size I would expect about 172.5, maybe 170, maybe 175, but most likely not 177.5.

I just couldn't help asking. I may be wrong, but my curiosity got the better of me.

Great deal at that price! Enjoy the fall riding season.

Louis

Louis
10-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Is that a computer pickup on the back wheel?

The black rectangular thing on the spokes? Looks identical to my Cateye Micro wheel magnet.

LouDeeter
10-10-2010, 03:01 PM
I would put a value on it of $450-550 if no dents or serious scrapes on the parts.

djg
10-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Looks like an Atlanta to me. Thanks guys. Looks like it might be worth a little more than the $20 I paid for it.

I'm going to get some new tires for it and hit the pavement.

Dude, if it's not broken it's worth way more than the 20 bucks you paid.

Is it actually valuable? No, probably not. Serotta's 2d tier lugged steel frame -- not the fanciest tubes of its day and not the latest-greatest of steel pipes. OTOH, you've got a really nice road bike for a song -- well designed, good butted/swagged pipes, and well made. If it fits, it should give you many thousands of good miles.

kestrel
10-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Don't know about those Vector Comp's, but I've had two sets of Vector Pro's break under my 195 lbs.

victoryfactory
10-10-2010, 07:54 PM
are you sure that's an aluminum fork?
looks like it might be an F1 carbon

vf

Birddog
10-10-2010, 08:28 PM
are you sure that's an aluminum fork?

Looks like an early carbon fork to me too.

Benjamin
10-10-2010, 09:48 PM
yeah, i had an F1 with an 853 steerer that looked just like that, it was a '97 or so.

krazygl00
10-16-2010, 11:40 PM
I bought this bike :)

I would have posted here last week when I bought it but it took a few days for my membership to fully validate.

So I jumped on this deal without doing much research because I figured, if the bike is in good shape and is a Serotta as advertised, it is a smoking deal. When I went to see it, the bike checked out great so I snapped it up. The next day while researching that year and model I came across this thread.

Do I feel like I got taken because he paid $20 and I paid $350? Not one bit. Good (great) deal for him, good deal for me. I only wish I knew what barns and garages to look in to find $20 Serottas. :D

And what would I have done if I had known what price he paid? Haggled him down? There were probably a dozen Craigslist bargain hunters waiting in line behind me. Like I said, good deal for him, good deal for me.

He mentioned that the bike was too small for him, but he was no taller than me (5'11) and you can see the saddle height from the pictures...I don't believe he tried to raise it. There is a full-length Easton carbon post under the saddle. Yeah, that bike would feel small if I rode it with the saddle at that height.

This will compliment my 2000 Classique nicely. I was going to put S&S BTCs on the Classique, but now I think I'll put them on this. Interestingly, the bikes are only a year apart in manufacture, but their construction is so different. And the geometry of the two is nearly identical from what I can tell ( although I haven't had a chance to closely compare them). The fork is indeed an F1 carbon and is the same as on my Classique.

I'm definitely a clydesdale so I'll be selling the wheels if anyone wants to make an offer. Dynamitedave threw in a Mavic Cosmic tubular rear wheel with the deal if anyone is interested in that as well.

It will likely be some time before I ride this; next step is to yank the bottom bracket and headset and see what is going on inside the frame, probably apply some frame-saver. Then find some wheels for it and decide if I want to ride it for a while with 8sp or go straight to upgrading everything on it.

aoe
10-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Good on you, mate. Sounds like it worked for both sides.
Cheers

Louis
10-17-2010, 01:37 AM
Have any idea what it's worth? I don't plan on selling it, I'm just curious.

I guess the lure of easy money changed that pretty quickly... :(

jeo99
10-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Don't know about those Vector Comp's, but I've had two sets of Vector Pro's break under my 195 lbs.

Interesting! I am 6'2" 200# and have never needed to trued my Vector Pro's.
And we have some of the worst roads in the U.S.

oliver1850
10-17-2010, 10:20 AM

FlashUNC
10-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Interesting! I am 6'2" 200# and have never needed to trued my Vector Pro's.
And we have some of the worst roads in the U.S.

I had a set of Vector Comps on my Trek 5200 for about 8 years before I sold them to abuddy. I think I trued them maybe once, and I don't think he's needed to touch them since.

Positively bullet proof imo.

bobswire
10-17-2010, 10:39 AM
I bought this bike :)

I would have posted here last week when I bought it but it took a few days for my membership to fully validate.

So I jumped on this deal without doing much research because I figured, if the bike is in good shape and is a Serotta as advertised, it is a smoking deal. When I went to see it, the bike checked out great so I snapped it up. The next day while researching that year and model I came across this thread.

Do I feel like I got taken because he paid $20 and I paid $350? Not one bit. Good (great) deal for him, good deal for me. I only wish I knew what barns and garages to look in to find $20 Serottas. :D

And what would I have done if I had known what price he paid? Haggled him down? There were probably a dozen Craigslist bargain hunters waiting in line behind me. Like I said, good deal for him, good deal for me.

He mentioned that the bike was too small for him, but he was no taller than me (5'11) and you can see the saddle height from the pictures...I don't believe he tried to raise it. There is a full-length Easton carbon post under the saddle. Yeah, that bike would feel small if I rode it with the saddle at that height.

This will compliment my 2000 Classique nicely. I was going to put S&S BTCs on the Classique, but now I think I'll put them on this. Interestingly, the bikes are only a year apart in manufacture, but their construction is so different. And the geometry of the two is nearly identical from what I can tell ( although I haven't had a chance to closely compare them). The fork is indeed an F1 carbon and is the same as on my Classique.

I'm definitely a clydesdale so I'll be selling the wheels if anyone wants to make an offer. Dynamitedave threw in a Mavic Cosmic tubular rear wheel with the deal if anyone is interested in that as well.

It will likely be some time before I ride this; next step is to yank the bottom bracket and headset and see what is going on inside the frame, probably apply some frame-saver. Then find some wheels for it and decide if I want to ride it for a while with 8sp or go straight to upgrading everything on it.

In the S.F.Bay Area that would go anywhere between $450-$600 or so. Good deal at $350 though I'd be suspect of anyone selling it for $20.

Hmmm?
08-17-2012, 05:12 PM
The 1st picture from the OP was part of an ad on craigslist/philly (posted 8/16, but now deleted). Poster claimed it was "left by an ex-roommate who owed him money. First $75 cash takes it." The ad was titled "English Racer Bike". Not gonna speculate on what's going on, but hate to see a quality brand besmirched.

krazygl00
12-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Let me resurrect this thread with some updated info. Hopefully everyone will get a kick out of it. I have pictures that I received recently from Spectrum Powderworks of the bike from this thread, as it is right now.

This shot is linked direct to photobucket and looks good:
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt301/spectrumforum/liquid%20painted/1CD517A1-60D8-43E6-BB24-33BCD52F028D-25269-00002736A0EAF597.jpg

The next two shots I had to download via facebook and are not as good, but they do illustrate the whole "blue from the front, red from the rear" aspect of the scheme:
http://www.cornbread.com/~pedrick/images/Serotta_finished_front.jpg

http://www.cornbread.com/~pedrick/images/Serotta_finished_rear.jpg

Not only is it patriotic, but there is a physics joke in it as well. I'm curious to see if anyone gets it :)

P.S. The original F1 fork got...damaged...and had to be replaced. :( But it was replaced with an Easton EC90SL (one of the last ones I could find with a 1" steerer). :)

vav
12-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Outstanding! Definitely something you don't see everyday. Link to photobucket doesn't work btw.

tv_vt
12-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Wow x2!!! That is awesome. Never ever would've recognized it as the same frame.

OK, what's the joke?

plugkev
12-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Blue shift Red shift stars moving toward and away!

I love it!

Also, did you ever find out the model?

Louis
12-18-2012, 05:55 PM
there is a physics joke in it as well. I'm curious to see if anyone gets it

You don't give us enough credit. :)

Let's see, 20 / 670616629 = 2.982e-8

Hmm, I wonder how much red shift we'll get with that...

Edit: how about the Doppler effect? 20 / 761.207051 = 0.026274

That's it - install a train horn on the bike!

krazygl00
12-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Blue shift Red shift stars moving toward and away!

I love it!

Also, did you ever find out the model?

Yep, doppler shift, you got it :)

The model was on the frame as "C3S Corsa Strada". I assumed that was pretty much it, but I gathered it was otherwise known as, or preceded by the "Atlanta". So I've always just referred to it as "C3S/Atlanta".

krazygl00
12-18-2012, 08:36 PM
You don't give us enough credit. :)

Let's see, 20 / 670616629 = 2.982e-8

Hmm, I wonder how much red shift we'll get with that...

Edit: how about the Doppler effect? 20 / 761.207051 = 0.026274

That's it - install a train horn on the bike!

I can be optimistic about my speed, can't I? :)

cachagua
12-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Late!

victoryfactory
12-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Triple WOW
What an interesting paint job! Coming and going. Now I have an idea for
my upcoming repaint (with different colors) Thanks

btw that is an Atlanta style seat lug so It's either an early Atlanta or whatever
came just before it.
Serotta changed so much so often that even they don't always know what's
what (Model wise)
Vertical "Serottas" on the fork blades on the original paint could indicate a show,
team or display model. You had to ask for them I think.

**Wait! That bike has cable stops on the head tube! And it's the same blue white fade as in the 1999 catalog. Atlanta, and not that old.***
VF

krazygl00
12-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Triple WOW
What an interesting paint job! Coming and going. Now I have an idea for
my upcoming repaint (with different colors) Thanks

btw that is an Atlanta style seat lug so It's either an early Atlanta or whatever
came just before it.
Serotta changed so much so often that even they don't always know what's
what (Model wise)
Vertical "Serottas" on the fork blades on the original paint could indicate a show,
team or display model. You had to ask for them I think.

**Wait! That bike has cable stops on the head tube! And it's the same blue white fade as in the 1999 catalog. Atlanta, and not that old.***
VF

I believe it is a 1999 C3S which, I think, came after the Atlanta and they are essentially the same thing. At least that's what I've been able to conclude.

And yes, originally the shifter cable stops were on the head tube, but after the BTCs were installed, they had to be made "releaseable" so they wouldn't hold the cable splits captive, so Bilenky cut slots into the stops. Well, if you thought those original stops looked a little weak, they definitely were after being cut. Sent it back to Bilenky and decided that the downtube shifter bosses were the most versatile, allowing STI or downtube shifters, and allowed the cables to be removed without adjustment.

cmg
12-19-2012, 10:35 AM
beautiful work. way to resurrect an old frame, congrats. Just looks so cool.