PDA

View Full Version : OT: Inclusive vacations

Dave B
10-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Many of you have posted amazing pics and stories of these grand vacations you have taken.

Would love to take my wife on one of those romantic inclusive get-a-ways where there is a beach, clear water, beautiful accomodations, and very low chance of locals shooting at us.

I was thinking about a sandals kind of thing, but maybe something cooler. Any place fun from May to July.

Thanks

Idris Icabod
10-06-2010, 12:56 PM
We went to Moon Palace in Cancun a few years ago. Meets all your requirements. I believe that the Survivor producer who made the news a few months ago for allegedly killing his wife here did not shoot her but rather strangled her, so again tick that box for not being shot.

AngryScientist
10-06-2010, 01:04 PM
i would steer clear of Sandals resorts personally, from what i've read, they are overcrowded and the food that's included is mediocre at best.

i've done a few all-inclusive trips, and they've varied widely in quality. the most important thing to do is read a ton of reviews on the particular ones you're most interested in, and make a realistic assessment of whether the place appeals to you or not. factors include proximity to other stuff, food, service, room appeal, location in general, and food (this is a biggie), availability of stuff to do (excursions) etc.

all of the resorts web-sites will have beautiful pictures of sunsets, beaches, etc - make sure to get real world feedback before you book.

SoCalSteve
10-06-2010, 01:09 PM
If you want to include cycling (or hiking-walking-multi-sport) in the mix, you may want to consider a BackRoads vacation...

Check them out here (www.backroads.com)

Good luck!

Dave B
10-06-2010, 01:09 PM
both good info, but AS, where to begin looking. I am a US traveler and do not know much about exotic places in the Caribbean and stuff.

Any good places jump out. Antigua, Costa Rica...something different, but like you said good services and food.

ibis
10-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Me and my wife stayed at a Sandals in Antigua a few years ago. It was actually quite nice. Clean rooms, clean resort, and the on site restaurants were pretty good. The 24 food bar was mediocre at best, but we expected that. The beach BBQ's were fantastic! Open bar was stocked with top shelf and local spirits as well. We went in September, and it wasn't crowded at all. We pretty much had the scuba diving crew to ourselves (+/- 4 other people) for the week.

We like the all inclusive concept, and we are looking into cruises that are similar.

Dave B
10-06-2010, 01:13 PM
If you want to include cycling (or hiking-walking-multi-sport) in the mix, you may want to consider a BackRoads vacation...

Check them out here (www.backroads.com)

Good luck!

I did for a second then realized this is supposed to be a belated honeymoon, so knowing my beautiful wife we are tlaking beaches, drinks at the pool, snorkling, kind of stuff.

I might be able to talk her into a a bit of adventure, but zip line, walks, jeep rides jet skiis. Well, most of that sounds like a blast.

I already bug her enough about bikes, she humors me, but I am not stupid...make this about her. ;)

Polyglot
10-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I am totally biased, but my favorite place to vacation is Africa. My brother owns a safari park in Zimbabwe. The political situation is once again reasonably calm there and the people are great.

The safari park's website is: http://www.chengetasafarilodge.com/index.htm they also have a couple house boats plying lake Kariba:
http://www.chengetasafarilodge.com/Houseboats/index.htm so you can combine a safari with some adventure travel like white water rafting.

I was last there in September 2001 when I was not able to return home after 9/11. I actually had to wait out the US flight ban and couldn't think of a better place to go.

Dave B
10-06-2010, 03:43 PM
looks amazing, but think smaller. Two teachers here so budget isn't what some might work with.

Anyway Africa looks beautful

tiretrax
10-06-2010, 03:52 PM
I highly second the suggestion for the Mayan Riviera - the Moon Palace is nice, so are the Iberostar resorts. The place is now littered with all inclusives. I'd do some research - look through Travel and Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, National Geographic Traveler, and Frommers Budget Traveler for reviews. I travel there frequently and stay in a private house in Playacar. I suggest you don't go in the summer months - it's stiflingly hot when you're not on the beach or if the breeze dies down. Also, there's the risk of hurricanes.

I suggest the Iberostar in Playacar since you can walk to town (Playa del Carmen), which also permits you to take a ferry to Cozumel.

Most of the resorts are well tended and have good food and drink (and water).

vqdriver
10-06-2010, 03:57 PM
i've done the sandals thing on jamaica. we split our time between two of their resorts (there's three sandals on the island) and the quality of the resorts were worlds apart. food was about the same for both (mediocre to good, but nothing memorable) my wife and i don't drink much, so i can't comment on the quality of the alcohol tho i had plenty of red stripe.

all inclusive is nice and worth trying, but if we had to do it again, probably not.
i don't think we would have spent much more if we did it the traditional way.

tuxbailey
10-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Since this is a travel thread, any recommendation on cruises around Feb? My daughter is still in pre-school so we can still get away during the school year.

I guess there is always Royal Caribbean :)

Bruce K
10-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I would HGHLY recommend Lizard Island in the Great Barrier Reef of Australia.

It is an isolated (can you say small plane - 1 hour flight) resort off the coast of Cairns.

Everything is included except for spa treatments, scuba trips (snorkeling is free and they give you your own mask, fins, snorkel, and lycra suit if you want one), or sport fishing trips.

The meals are exquisite, the booze is free, the mini bar and snack bar are free, no kids under 15 are permitted, and the staff is more than accomodating (within reason).

Activites would be snokeling, scuba, hiking, fishing, spa, and chilling out on the beach.

There are no TV's, no cell phone service, and limited internet access.

It is a true island getaway.

BK

Not cheap but VERY relaxing.

Likes2ridefar
10-06-2010, 04:22 PM
My wife and i went to Costa Rica this past February. We went to three different places for 2 to 3 nights each, and thought each was unique and worthwhile. For the most part, the vacation was very cheap. The food was awesome.

We got a rental jeep. The roads are a sobering experience. Imagine the worst road you've ever been on in the USA, then think twice as bad as that, and you have an idea what it's like to drive in Costa Rica. It takes a long time to get from point a to b, the signage is nearly non-existent, roads sometimes just end even though on the map they don't appear to do so, and unless you speak fluent spanish you will not find much help.

It was a mix of adventure, luxury, and relaxation. The first stop was in Arenal, home of a massive active volcano that's post card friendly, at the Tabacon Resort. This place is freakin' amazing. Hot springs from a volcano to soak in. The definition of tropical paradise as far as I'm conerned. Really great food. It's high end, I've never been in such a place, but the online price I got off their site was quite affordable for a few nights. $150 a night.

If I were only going to one place in Costa Rica and just want relaxation and some romance, the above spot is the ticket.

After that we headed to the cloud forest in Monteverde which appears on the map to be not very far from Arenal. It takes 3-4 hours...not an hour or two like you think it might. Gravel roads that are very bumpy and a few nice gaps to drive up and over and down and around. It would be excellent cross or mtb riding - really epic. I saw my first monkeys, a family, during breakfast. Animals were everywhere here. Really cool place. Old, huge, misty. nice temp's in the 70s. $40 bucks a night to stay here in downtown monteverde. most amazing breakfast ever at our lodge.

After the cloud forest we headed to Manuel Antonio for some beach action, again another half day drive of 3-4 hours, but thankfully the roads are nice for about half of the way. More critters all over. Costa Rica is crawling with wildlife. For a 3 hour drive it was amazing how dramatic the temperature change was. From 70s and comfy to 100+, hot and humid. The pacific was like bath water. Not for sun bathing, but still beautiful and there's another great park to see sloths and monkeys. $60 bucks a night to stay here a few miles away from manuel antonio in the town next door.

wc1934
10-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I highly second the suggestion for the Mayan Riviera - the Moon Palace is nice, so are the Iberostar resorts. The place is now littered with all inclusives. I'd do some research - look through Travel and Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, National Geographic Traveler, and Frommers Budget Traveler for reviews. I travel there frequently and stay in a private house in Playacar. I suggest you don't go in the summer months - it's stiflingly hot when you're not on the beach or if the breeze dies down. Also, there's the risk of hurricanes.

I suggest the Iberostar in Playacar since you can walk to town (Playa del Carmen), which also permits you to take a ferry to Cozumel.

we have been to the mayan riviera the past two years - iberostar paraiso maya and iberostar tucan - both times in june - weather great - not so for cycling - don't waste your time going to cozumel -we went -rented small motorcycles - nothing great - food and accommodations at the iberostars were very good - all inclusive is a very nice way to go.

tiretrax
10-06-2010, 09:55 PM
don't waste your time going to cozumel

Go for the diving - I should have been specific. Take a bus to Xcaret for a unique experience in theme parks - it's ecological and demonstrates how ecotourism can work (at least on the surface - I didn't dig deeply, but friends down there tell me it's a good operation). Tulum is nice - it only takes an hour or two to explore, but it's beautiful. If you can go in winter, you'll appreciate the climate. It's awfully hot and sticky May-October.

Ken Robb
10-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Is summer a good time to go to these southern locations?

54ny77
10-07-2010, 12:41 AM
Take a cruise. You might have the opportunity to say, "Oh look honey, here comes the buffet."
;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuq7iA-qRZw&feature=related

dimsy
10-07-2010, 01:44 AM
just a thought.

http://www.montenegro.travel/index_en.html

specifically the bay of kotor.

Dave B
10-07-2010, 07:27 AM
After some looking up stuff mentioned and prices, It appears a "Sandals" type of experience is most affordable for us. So, narrowing it down to maybe more...hmmmm would commercial or touristy be a good description for Sandals? Anyway, with that criteria, where is a good one. This is an early to mid June trip. Think summer break.

sandy beaches, blue/clear water...again no shooting would be nice...well shooting at or towards me.

Ray
10-07-2010, 08:10 AM

I'd second (or third) the Mayan Riviera. There are a group of resorts just south of Playa Del Carmen, ranging from relatively affordable to pretty high end. The beaches are pretty good (although I don't know if they've fully replenished them after the hurricane wiped a lot of them out a few years ago). Playa Del Carmen is a pretty nice little town, with plenty of tourist amenities (ie, shopping - your wife will probably love it!). The whole area, while pretty developed, is much less of a zoo than the Cancun strip.

Most of the resorts are all-inclusive. We've stayed at the RIU resorts - there are several of those on that stretch at various budget levels but with a reasonable amount of reciprocity between them so you're not limited to the very same restaurants every night (although they aren't really all that different). And if you like snorkeling or diving, Cozumel has a couple of the most beautiful reefs in the Carribean and is a really quick ferry ride from Playa Del Carmen.

Staying on Cozumel might not be a bad idea either, although we haven't been there for quite a while and I know the beaches there got hit really hard a few years back. Something to look into though. Generally Mexico is going to be less expensive than the other Carribean Islands and, as long as you stay out of the border town areas (which these resorts are nowhere close to), its quite safe. Despite the horror stories about Mexico, you can actually leave your resort quite comfortably in these areas and wander around the town. Most folks I know who've spent time in Jamaican resorts and some of the other Carribean Islands indicate that they're a lot more dangerous just in terms of run of the mill crime. A lot of them felt pretty much locked into their resorts - I've never felt that in Mexico.

-Ray

malcolm
10-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Pres, one other thing to consider is travel time. Many places in the Caribbean will cost you a full day travel either way. Check flight lengths before you pick a place. Antigua is good because it is a direct flight from most majors. There is a sandals there, I think. I've stayed at Jumby Bay, a resort just a short boat ride away, but it is pricey. Another consideration is when off the resort many of the cities in the Caribbean are very 3rd worldish as in run down and filthy, not every island but many. Petty crime can be quite high as well.

Costa Rica is great, been many times over the past twenty years or so. Never done an all inclusive there but I assume there are some. The people in Costa Rica are very friendly but petty crime has struck with increased tourism, minor stuff like breaking into your car, never heard of anything violent at least on the pacific side. Lots to do for folks of all activity levels.

The only all inclusive I've done was a beaches in turks and caicos. It was a family thing with two kids (7 & 9), for that is was great. Food was mediocre at best but plentiful, beer was unlimited. It really seemed to be aimed at families and hit the mark, my kids loved it. The only people there without kids were divers, because the diving was included and trips left 2-3 times per day. Turks and Caicos has nice beaches and from most of the US is accessible.

SEABREEZE
10-07-2010, 09:03 AM
May I suggest a beautiful mediterranean spot...

http://www.santacaterinavillage.com/