PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin bike shop owner killed

fiamme red
10-06-2010, 12:08 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/104391734.html

A onetime bodybuilder, Jeff Littmann struck many as a Hulk-sized figure when he switched to competitive cycling.

On Tuesday, even his powerful physical stature was dwarfed by the sense of loss among those he commanded and coached over two decades as a leader in the sport.

Littmann, 56, died from the injuries he suffered on Friday, when a motorist drove into him and Lauren Jensen as they rode eastbound on Wisconsin Ave. near Highway C in Nashotah. It was a familiar training route for Littman and Jensen, a professional triathlete and coach...

Here's a tribute to him from a local cyclist:

http://jasonkayzar.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/jeff-littmann-changed-my-life/

Ahneida Ride
10-06-2010, 12:23 PM
I was riding in Wiss, not that long ago.

another senseless murder. :crap:

http://www.davidtryan.com/intro.htm

fiamme red
10-06-2010, 12:27 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/lifestyle/104295074.html

Both cyclists and the driver, Kyle Dieringer, 25, of Nashotah, were heading into the sun, eastbound on Wisconsin Ave., west of Lakeland Drive, when the collision occurred about 7:30 a.m.

In his statement, Dieringer wrote: “I was going under the speed limit, about 40 mph because it was very hard to see. I made sure to be in my lane because I couldn’t see oncoming traffic or anything much more but (estimate) 10 ft in front of me. I didn’t see anyone then all of a sudden boom I hit two bicyclists.”

Jensen reported that she was riding right of the white fog line, on the asphalt, and roughly three feet ahead of Littmann. He was behind and slightly to her left, according to her statement in the sheriff's report.

In the statement, Jensen wrote that Littmann was one to two feet to her left. She later clarified that placement to a deputy, saying that Littmann “was hugging the white line, not one to two feet away, as I said before.”

No citations have been issued and the crash remains under investigation.

tuxbailey
10-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Edit: Never mind.

AndrewS
10-06-2010, 12:29 PM
That's where I grew up - I don't know how many miles I rode on those roads. Wisconsin Ave. is a frontage road, and has pretty good visibility. Murder is probably right.

veloduffer
10-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Not to pass any judgement but riding into the sun at a time that it blinds motorists (in the early morning or late evening) is a time that I specifically avoid. I'd rather ride in the blazing heat of a summer day to avoid putting myself in a potentially dangerous situation. Hi-viz colors and lights are useless in that situation.

Sad to read this nevertheless..

goonster
10-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Not to pass any judgement but riding into the sun at a time that it blinds motorists (in the early morning or late evening) is a time that I specifically avoid.
+1

Riding with the sun immediately behind you is bad too. My club had an A group crest a ridge with the sun immediately behind them. Oncoming driver was blinded and turned left immediately in front of the lead riders. Carnage.

rugbysecondrow
10-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Nice to see you back Goon!

Too bad because it is sad. Sometimes these things happen and it is exactly as it seems, an accident.

Ken Robb
10-06-2010, 01:17 PM
"I was only going 40mph because I could only see 10 feet in front of me" sounds like admission of a crime to me.

William
10-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Man that sucks. I'm very sorry to hear of this.

I've got one road in my area that runs East/West that I won't ride early in the A.M. or later in the afternoon for that very reason. Going into the sun either way is hard enough to see on a bike, and I don't trust the motorists to see me from their cars.

William

Jason E
10-06-2010, 06:31 PM
"I was only going 40mph because I could only see 10 feet in front of me" sounds like admission of a crime to me.

This is a terrible tragedy. Murder is a very strong statement. Let's maybe focus on the family, and wait to see what happens with the driver.

I'm always careful driving around cyclists, and try to anticipate their actions. Still I've had close calls while being on the car side. It is not fun from the other side even when you are trying to avoid an incident.

It's tough, and we really are not always compatible modes of transport on the road, but we use caution and measured risk and go for it, because it is part of who we are, part of who this guy Jeff was.

If anyone knows of something being set up for the family, I think it would be worth posting.

1centaur
10-07-2010, 05:21 AM

I have always remembered this point from my drivers' ed. class in high school, illustrated via video. The "I can't see because of the sun" excuse does not hold water in the eyes of the law. If you can't see, you have to stop.

It sticks with me because there are times when one is sun blinded and it's impractical to stop, usually because one expects to be sun blinded for a moment or two, saw clearly before being blinded and know there was no obstacle at that time. It's when blinded for seconds that stopping becomes legitimate, but will others behind you stop also? If blinded, how do you safely pull over? Key decisions are made in very brief moments and perhaps imperfectly. It sounds like a crime, but I doubt it's murder.

ti_boi
10-07-2010, 05:28 AM
Very sad.

nahtnoj
10-07-2010, 07:19 AM
40mph = 59 feet per second.

If he could only see 10 feet in front of him that is a reckless rate of speed, regardless of the posted limit.

It takes roughly 60-75 feet to panic stop a car at that speed.

Chad Engle
10-07-2010, 11:14 AM
My thoughts are with the families involved.

Who needs a judge and jury when we have the internet.

Ken Robb
10-07-2010, 12:03 PM
This is a terrible tragedy. Murder is a very strong statement. Let's maybe focus on the family, and wait to see what happens with the driver.

I NEVER wrote anything about murder!

Ken Robb
10-07-2010, 12:06 PM
. It sounds like a crime, but I doubt it's murder.

Jeez, can't you guys read--I never wrote anything about murder so get your quotes right please. :crap:

thwart
10-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Along the same vein of what's appropriate punishment for these sorts of tragedies... I found this:

Earlier this year, Waukesha (WI) County District Attorney Brad Schimel directed that the motorist who struck and killed Brett Netke on Highway 18 be issued a citation for failing to provide the required three-foot clearance when passing a bicyclist. The driver, Samuel Weirick, did not contest the citation and paid a $114 fine.

Well, OK then.

1centaur
10-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Jeez, can't you guys read--I never wrote anything about murder so get your quotes right please. :crap:

Did not say you did. I used your quote to address the crime question. Murder was mentioned earlier, but there's no need to use a quote for every reference.

fiamme red
10-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Along the same vein of what's appropriate punishment for these sorts of tragedies... I found this:

Earlier this year, Waukesha (WI) County District Attorney Brad Schimel directed that the motorist who struck and killed Brett Netke on Highway 18 be issued a citation for failing to provide the required three-foot clearance when passing a bicyclist. The driver, Samuel Weirick, did not contest the citation and paid a $114 fine.

Well, OK then.So much for the effectiveness of three-foot laws.