PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Moving to Arlington VA

dsimon
10-06-2010, 05:04 AM
Hey would like some help I have an oportunity to move to or near Arlington VA, I know its expensive so I would like some help whats a good community about a 20-30 min drive with good schools and good bike ridding kids schools and housing is more important than ridding but I would still Like a Nice area. Might buy a house or rent that would be around the 1900-2000 range any and all help would be appreciated.

firerescuefin
10-06-2010, 05:10 AM
I'll be watching this closely....as we are about 3 weeks from doing the same (also working in Arlington), and my search parameters are nearly indentical....CSI, we'll have to get together for a ride when I get out there.

Geoff

Smiley
10-06-2010, 05:30 AM
This will give you an idea of what kind of rides to expect and look forward too.

www.bikpptc.org

oh yeah get ready for some price shock on homes, sorry

firerescuefin
10-06-2010, 05:35 AM
Smiley....I guess this means you could fit me for my JKS at some point :beer:

Smiley
10-06-2010, 05:40 AM

Yes Sir :)

rugbysecondrow
10-06-2010, 05:57 AM
The price range you specified might push you a little further away than what you would like. I like Columbia, Maryland and you might be able to get townhouse to rent or buy in your price range. I would also ask Avalonracing (on this forum) about his opinion. He is a realtor in the Ellicott City/Columbia area and might be able to offer some guidance.

Best of luck. I remember when I first move to the area from Louisville, KY, I was in shock and it was hard to enjoy for a few months. It takes a while for it all to settle in...not sure if it ever has for my wife.

djg
10-06-2010, 07:24 AM
I’ve been living in Arlington for 13 years – one as a renter and 12 as a homeowner. For a close-in suburb (once part of DC proper) including urban-ish centers as well as wooded neighborhoods, it’s great. Some decent road loops on roads with bike lanes, as well as a couple of MUTs heading into and out of town. Schools generally, maybe especially in North Arlington, are excellent, although IMO there’s too much stress on too much homework (and this opinion comes from a second generation PhD). County services are very good.

I don’t have any particular lines on rentals. Generally speaking, the area gets less expensive the further out you go. Fairfax County (about a million people), with the exception of McLean, tends to be less expensive than Arlington, and significantly less expensive the further out you go. Loudon County is further still. This area is chock full of educated professionals and there are many good schools further out. Fairfax has many good schools and is home to the state’s science and math magnet school, which offers shockingly good numbers.

Note that Virginia has independent cities as well as surrounding counties. “Falls Church” is both a city (with well-regarded public schools) and a much larger real-estate marketing construct (mostly Fairfax); “Alexandria” is a city that features some lovely neighborhoods but, in dollar terms and IMO, a much lesser commitment to its schools – it’s also a much larger real estate marketing construct, most of which is in Fairfax.

So here are a few species of possible relative bargains. First, there was over-building of condos and row houses/town houses/ye olde towne homes, etc. during the boom. Some are now rentals proper and some are rentals-for-now, because developers and individual homeowners need income but cannot contemplate fire sale prices. I think it pays to be on the ground here to investigate these as the real estate market – both rental and sale – seems to comprise a high degree of variance (not just geographic-based variation). Another species – maybe even more dependent on on-the-ground recon – is last-minute rental. This area has many folks who need to pick up and move for 1, 2, or 3 years – not just military, but, e.g., World Bank people, etc. In a soft market, they may be especially flexible on price for a demonstrably reliable tenant.

I would stay away from Maryland if you’re going to work in Arlington. There are many fine places to live in Maryland, but the parts of Montgomery County that are close are expensive – maybe even more expensive than Arlington and certainly more expensive than nearby Fairfax. Further out . . . I spent two years commuting from Arlington to Baltimore 3-4 days per week and cannot recommend Columbia or Howard County if you are working in Virginia. If you are driving, even at off-hours, you should anticipate a nasty commute, with at least one day per week that turns into a serious disaster either passing through DC or attempting to go around it. If you are taking the train – well, to downtown DC it’s one thing; to Arlington it’s actually 2 or 3 trains, plus whatever it takes to get to the train. Starting outside the beltway in NoVa is no picnic of a commute, but it’s bound to be better. Heck, depending on where you live, you might even ride in (our pal znfndl on this board take s the MUT from Vienna to DC).

Riding in the area is very good I think. This is not San Diego or Boulder. But the winters are much milder and shorter than they are in the North East or New England (even last year’s disaster was not a NE winter). I tend to lose 1-4 weeks per year to snow/sleet issues, but otherwise ride year-round. And there’s a big riding community. Somebody mentioned PPTC, the largest “touring” club – rec rides of all sorts, from leisurely 15 mile social rides to serious training rides and centuries. There’s also an active race scene, both on the road and cross (Mtb I guess, but I know much less about this). If you’re coming, folks will have plenty of suggestions, but rest assured that you’ll find places to ride and folks to ride with.

flydhest
10-06-2010, 07:27 AM
I agree that your price range may push you further away than anticipated. That said, if you are working in Arlington, I'd suggest you go further west into Virginia, not toward Columbia, MD. Your commute would be hideous from that part of Maryland. The good thing is that some of the slightly farther out suburbs that are not on a metro line had some of the bigger price declines in this area over the past two years and I think the same is true for the rental market. Where in Arlington will you be working? If you are ok with a car commute, where you work and where you like could be linked by some easy driving that would not be obvious by just looking at distance.

edit: I see Dan beat me to the post and he has a lot more extensive info. I would add, though, that the cycling community in the DC area is extremely good, all the way from leisurely recreational riding to elite level racing and everywhere in between. When you come visit, post here, and there will likely be a number of forumites interested in riding with you.

Hooking up with Smiley is the single best thing anyone can do when moving to the area.

dsimon
10-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks it wouldnt be until jul, and I would work at Fort Myer. thanks for the tip about livind north west/west and driving will not be an issue, thanks for all the info,

rugbysecondrow
10-06-2010, 07:54 AM
I would be a longish commute depending on where and when. I know people who commute in from Deleware and PA to DC everyday, so long is relative.

robin3mj
10-06-2010, 08:38 AM
I own a townhouse in Arlington, on the W&OD and a few blocks from the East Falls Church metro that will be on the market next spring, in your price range. Shoot me a message if you are interested in more detail.
I am also happy to provide some input on neighborhoods with similar price ranges.

bumperjohn
10-06-2010, 11:09 AM

Smiley fit me on my JKS and it fits like a glove.

John

Acotts
10-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Take a look at renting in the Fairlington Neighborhoods. They are real charming, close to the trails and restaurants, and rent is dirt cheap.

I dont think they are a good buy.

djg
10-06-2010, 12:48 PM
I own a townhouse in Arlington, on the W&OD and a few blocks from the East Falls Church metro that will be on the market next spring, in your price range. Shoot me a message if you are interested in more detail.
I am also happy to provide some input on neighborhoods with similar price ranges.

For an out-of-towner, the W&OD is a MUT that runs along an old train right of way (Washington & Old Dominion). From Falls Church, it runs to the river (with connections to DC) and various ways to get fairly close to the Fort. It also heads through the burbs to a point about 45 miles west of DC.

winmonster
10-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi, my 2 cents. We just moved here a little over a year ago from Texas. We ended up choosing Vienna, VA. Schools, neighborhood feel, not being too far out, etc. were important to us, and we are happy with our decision. Traffic is a pain, but the morning commute into Arlington is nice. 9.9 miles on the W&OD and .1 miles on the road, half of which is bicycle lane. Being close enough to the Metro that it isn't a trip in and of itself is nice, too. PM me if you want any specifics.

dsimon
10-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Hey guys and gals;
a couple more questions please. I know everyone say MD is bad for traffic how is Silver spring ,MD it seems close to arlington also All that iam concernd with is the morning traffic say if I leave at 520-530am I dont want to take more tha 20-30min. evening traffic i can tolerate up to an hour if accidents happen. thanks and await your information thank you :beer:

Smiley
10-24-2010, 09:24 AM
at that time in the morning you'll be good to go but evening is a horse of a different animal, you have to cross DC and MD to come home unless you chance the Cabin John Bridge home via 495.

dsimon
10-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks Just so we are clear I will be driving to and from work Im not big on commuting. thanks demtrius

cody.wms
10-24-2010, 11:36 AM
If you aren't big on commuting, you should really confine yourself to Arlington and Alexandria. I've had hour plus commutes from the Courthouse area in Arlington to my home south of Old Town Alexandria when it's bad.

I'd think that Ft. Myer to Silver Spring would be two hours in rush hour. At 5.30, I doubt it would be bad going in, but after 3-4pm....

dsimon
10-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Thank you the advice is welcome I dont mind driving i meant commuting by bike sorry.i figure 530am and the 5pm ish so some plce with good schools and great neighborhoods. again thank you demetrius

anomaly
10-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Thank you the advice is welcome I dont mind driving i meant commuting by bike sorry.i figure 530am and the 5pm ish so some plce with good schools and great neighborhoods. again thank you demetrius
Unfortunately you can't understand traffic in DC metro as you don't have a frame of reference. When I lived there I ran into multiple 4 AM on Sunday traffic jams on both 495 and 66 (known as 666 to some...). The MD drive at 530 AM would be okay. The drive home would regularly take 60+ minutes even if you left the office at 3 PM sharp daily. Estimate a standard commute speed of 10 MPH any time between 6:30-10:30 AM and 3-8:30 PM.

Dekonick
10-24-2010, 12:29 PM
The killer is travel around the beltway. There is no easy way to get from MD to NOVA and avoid traffic. It just can't be done. You will fight all of the MD to DC as well as VA to DC folks - the DC road situation is a quagmire at best. I agree that you will do better looking in VA.

Having said that, Howard County has excellent schools, services, and access to major highways, airports, DC and Baltimore. Annapolis is also close by. Howard County was ranked as the #2 place to live by Money magazine and Ellicott City is always in the top 10. Given a choice, I find it is a fantastic place to raise a family but just not worth the commute if you have to work in VA.

Good luck and keep us posted!

:beer:

A1CKot
10-24-2010, 12:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1RMuoQnKo&feature=mfu_in_order&playnext=1&videos=1rPk6HlFQjw

Couldn't help myself. Looks like a nice place though.

djg
10-24-2010, 01:12 PM
I dunno. At 5:30, you should sail on through. 20 minutes is dubious, but 30, sure. The problem is the afternoon. It's not as if it's all clear at 3 PM (or 6). For half an hour or less, I'd stick to Arlington, Falls Church, or Alexandria. Fairfax just inside or just outside the beltway might work -- sort of the Dunn Loring area maybe. McLean, definitely, but the nice parts are pricey.

flydhest
10-24-2010, 02:25 PM
I dunno. At 5:30, you should sail on through. 20 minutes is dubious, but 30, sure. The problem is the afternoon. It's not as if it's all clear at 3 PM (or 6). For half an hour or less, I'd stick to Arlington, Falls Church, or Alexandria. Fairfax just inside or just outside the beltway might work -- sort of the Dunn Loring area maybe. McLean, definitely, but the nice parts are pricey.

Dan's first sentence is about 5:30 am.

I reiterate that to keep the commute manageable and the price not exorbitant, you'll need to be in Virginia.

Come visit, we'll get a forum ride in, then tool around the area stopping often with a map to keep your bearings.

djg
10-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Dan's first sentence is about 5:30 am.

I reiterate that to keep the commute manageable and the price not exorbitant, you'll need to be in Virginia.

Come visit, we'll get a forum ride in, then tool around the area stopping often with a map to keep your bearings.

The Phdoctor is right.

Plus, today I went to a cyclocross race and I was introduced to a beverage called "beer." Gee, that was tasty and sort of relaxing. If I can find out where to buy it, maybe we'll scare up one or two of them.

palincss
10-24-2010, 06:03 PM

Tell you what, you move here and start commuting from Silver Spring to Arlington by car, you are definitely going to start minding driving. Silver Spring is at 12 o'clock on the Beltway, Arlington just about at 7 pm. It's not true that you "can't there from here," but when the entire Beltway is solid at rush hour you'll believe it.

Take a few days, come on down, rent a car and do some driving in rush hour traffic before you decide.

cody.wms
10-24-2010, 07:48 PM

As in riding from Silver Spring to Arlington? I'm confused.

If you _are_ talking about commuting, it might be tough coming through the city. I'm not sure what route you would take off-hand. The DC, MD, and VA maps on the WABA site (here (http://www.waba.org/resources/maps.php)) are pretty good. But the best thing to do is to get here on the ground (assuming you have some time to do that).

Good luck.

xjoex
10-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Riding from Silver Spring to Arlington by bike would be a breeze, mostly on trails. The Capitol Crescent trail is where it is at: http://www.cctrail.org/CCT_Maps.htm

Driving would make you want to kill yourself quickly.

-Joe

flydhest
10-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Riding from Silver Spring to Arlington by bike would be a breeze, mostly on trails. The Capitol Crescent trail is where it is at: http://www.cctrail.org/CCT_Maps.htm

Driving would make you want to kill yourself quickly.

-Joe

I agree, although I think the OP said he didn't want to commute by bike. The bike commute from Silver Spring to Arlington would be infinitely better than the car commute. On the way home, I don't think I am exaggerating to say that it would be comparable or faster by bike. Likely a bit over an hour, but that's not a bad thing on a bike.