PDA

View Full Version : hey commuters, what does it look like on you?

spiderman
10-05-2010, 12:36 PM
my wife thought i looked particularly outrageous this morning...
what does your commuter look...look like??

AngryScientist
10-05-2010, 12:55 PM
never in dress clothes, fortunately i have a nice locker room and shower at work. looking good though!

keithreynolds
10-05-2010, 12:57 PM
nice! that's style

Dave B
10-05-2010, 01:03 PM
very proper.

me, I am this guy.

http://www.dane101.com/files/medium_fat%20cyclist.jpg

LiteFM
10-05-2010, 01:06 PM

That's freakin' awesome! I don't need to dress up for my job but if I did I'd rock your style. Is that a Kirk? Tell us about the build!
-John

AndrewS
10-05-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm glad the gloves and trousers match. It's the tie that will keep me up at night.

WeakRider
10-05-2010, 01:10 PM
How long is your commute?

It's been wet here, so I've been commuting to work in a bathing suit (seriously), a base layer top, and a shell. Change into business casual attire at work.

tuxbailey
10-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Nice fenders :)

Like Angry, there is gym with locker where I work so on the occasion that I commute I just wear the normal biking attire.

AngryScientist
10-05-2010, 01:22 PM
i'd like to take this moment to point out how absolutely viscous it is if you get your pants leg stuck in the chainring of a fixed gear bike, scary stuff!

LiteFM
10-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Oh I'm sure he's aware of that. I'm assuming he uses those classy pant clips.

cody.wms
10-05-2010, 01:56 PM
My commute is a touch over 11 miles, if I ride direct. I look just like another fat guy out for a ride on most of my commutes. Today, I brought my messenger bag in with reinforcements (clean clothes). I keep everything here at the office, and dry clean my shirts and pants near work, and transport the other stuff back in forth once every week or so. Most of the time, I don't carry anything beyond my wallet and a cell phone.

OtayBW
10-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Nice fenders. What kind?

BengeBoy
10-05-2010, 02:23 PM
You need to steal the wicker basket off that bike on the porch (behind you in the pic) and add that to complete the look.

fieldrecordings
10-05-2010, 02:24 PM
My fall commuting outfit is generally a t-shirt or baselayer & shell on top & work pants on the bottom. I bring a change of top-half clothes in my pack. I've got a merino hooded sweatshirt & some Outlier winterweight pants for the coming cold. Luckily, we have a slightly less than business casual vibe at work.

I still have an eye out for rainpants, decent gloves & shoe covers (if I decide to go clipless over the winter).

mo3039
10-05-2010, 02:52 PM
The biking gloves and under helmet cap really pull that look together! Wish I could afford the most excellent Kirk commuter style. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to rock the work clothes look more often, but taking the bike on and off the bus (multi-modal here) often gets my clothes dirty despite my best efforts. Plus that bus ride is LONG so full-on bike kit is uncomfortable...so I'm usually in more of a smartwool T/loose running tights with layers and bring a change of clothes mode. I long for a shorter commute, but love that I still have a great job and get to bike/bus year-round to it.

RGW
10-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Classy get-up and even classier ride! I like a few others who responded wear bike clothes and shower / change at a gym near the office. My 16 mile commute in leaves me fairly sweaty so wearing street clothes is not an option

johnnymossville
10-05-2010, 03:06 PM
the green sidewall tires and the green in your tie just well,.... tie it all together!

LiteFM
10-05-2010, 03:09 PM
You wanna tie me up in some of your ties? Ty?
http://www.haveyoumettony.com/pictures/lacey.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help but think of Caddyshack...

xjoex
10-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Looking sharp spidey.

I usually look like this:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/boulderjoe/riding/100_4818.jpg

But I have grad school tonight, so I mtn biked before work and looked like this:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/boulderjoe/riding/IMG_1573.jpg

-Joe

spiderman
10-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Sweet seven...and very nice display of helmet lighting
And a good safe, swivel beam...

First off--the kirk single speed build is posted under custom bikes...
I have it on the road for a grand total of $1,200
Which seems like a killer deal to me anyway.
The fenders were hand made by a guy in the pnw.
The front half of each splintered and I may try a repair
But it's going to take some serious thickened epoxy and tlc.

My wife almost didn't let me leave with the tie...
But I was making nursing home rounds today
And she thought the residents could use a laugh.
My commute to work is 2.5 miles but the n.h. Route
Is a 25 mile round trip. One of my residents pointed out
It is my 15th summer of biking to rounds to see her there
In doctor clothes.
Today was the oktoberfest celebration there...
They invited me to a plastic glass of home brew
And apple cobbler...they liked the tie!

(Obtw I do have my pant leg secured with a spare dinotte velcro strap)

I also have 5 days of dry cleaning at the office,
Some days pack my clothes in an arkel backpack
Or for on call days wear scrubs.
I do have a shower, etc at work so can mix it up
Depending on the day.
Most days I have a 20 mile loop I do--the acid green castelli bonk kit
Is my current favorite...but just hearing that might give
AndrewS nightmares!

cinema
10-05-2010, 05:28 PM
nice, but do you really clip in on your way to work?! i tried doing this for a while, keeping my work shoes in my backpack, but it just became ridiculous. and anywho, my commute isn't more than 8 miles.

though i don't have to go full suit and tie, i usually just roll up the right leg of my khakis and put on a castelli or zoot long sleeve jersey ontop of my usual black polo. in the winter i stap on gloves and a rapha beanie/cap underneath :)

LiteFM
10-05-2010, 05:32 PM
These days I find it really boring to not clip in anymore. It doesn't feel like I'm riding a bike unless I hear that click and get a nice healthy upstroke!

cinema
10-05-2010, 05:35 PM
These days I find it really boring to not clip in anymore. It doesn't feel like I'm riding a bike unless I hear that click and get a nice healthy upstroke!

i hear ya. that's why i did clip in for a while, until i began to feel a little silly switching in and out of shoes right before work. especially because i'm almost always late :rolleyes:

spiderman
10-05-2010, 06:37 PM
i hear ya. that's why i did clip in for a while, until i began to feel a little silly switching in and out of shoes right before work. especially because i'm almost always late :rolleyes:

I had 8 pair of shoes in the two drawer file in my office and 3 pair
In my locker at the hospital...
I now have thinned out the supply--
Two pair both places and a set of road shoes at work
In case I don't clip in and need a pair for my typical noon ride...
I'd say 2 to 3 times a month I ride in street shoes like you see here
...When I duck in just in time for medical staff meetings, etc...
They (meetings) are much more tolerable if I have been on a ride of any distance
Before I get there...

As far as keeping things interesting with the commute...I try to blog something about riding
Every day just to stay creative...

www.cyclingthelakes.blogspot.com

bluesea
10-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Think you might be interested in some of the old Jerry Garcia tie designs. I have a couple that I picked up at Macy's SF in the 90's--still hanging in the closet somewhere.

giverdada
10-05-2010, 09:13 PM
when it's so cold that one has to dress like this. i can't believe it's almost the winter half of the year here. :crap:

Birddog
10-05-2010, 09:28 PM
It's the tie that will keep me up at night.

Man I love that tie. Where can I get one?
Birddog

Nelson99
10-05-2010, 09:55 PM
I'd feel blessed. I'd also feel pretty blessed to pick up a Terraplane someday...

I keep a wardrobe in my office that allows me to change when I get in, so I ride in whatever biking clothes are less stinky and climate appropriate. When I am forced to drive I shuttle laundry and supplies back and forth as needed.

What really gets me down is February and March. There is usually slush on the roads here that makes riding a life-threatening endeavor... I tried riding my MTB through it last year, just to maintain my sanity, and paid the price. I don't think that even studs would help much. It drives me to consider picking up a recumbent tricycle just for those months...

William
10-06-2010, 04:16 AM

Dat's da schizzle Spidey!! ;)

William

csm
10-06-2010, 08:29 AM
I have that tie... from the save the children collection or something? I have a few from that collection actually.

csm
10-06-2010, 08:29 AM
I have that tie... from the save the children collection or something? I have a few from that collection actually.

djg
10-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Fix yer tie.

I have a locker room (shower and my own locker) at work. Shirts, slacks, undies, black & brown shoes, and black & brown belts live downstairs in the locker room, with jacket and ties kept hanging in the office. I wear cycling kit when I ride in.

johnnymossville
10-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Fix yer tie.

I have a locker room (shower and my own locker) at work. Shirts, slacks, undies, black & brown shoes, and black & brown belts live downstairs in the locker room, with jacket and ties kept hanging in the office. I wear cycling kit when I ride in.

you suck, :p wish I had a locker room/shower at work.

SamIAm
10-06-2010, 08:54 AM
That picture should find its way in to a bicycle publication or maybe even GQ. Fantastic!

OtayBW
10-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Would you let us know what fenders you're running? Thx.

Whoop - nevermind. Got it.

TimD
10-06-2010, 12:34 PM
I am absolutely astonished when I see people commuting in morning / evening traffic while wearing black, dark blue, dark green, or dark anything, unless they have so many lights on their bikes that they look like something out of Close Encounters. Lights not just front & rear but visible on the side, too. Not just feeble 2-LED micro-flashers but big honking strobes which get your attention in the way an emergency vehicle would.

From personal observation, as many as half the drivers I can see at a given moment are arguably driving distracted, up to and including driving in the left lane of I-495 west of Boston at 10 MPH under the speed of the surrounding traffic, weaving side-to-side, texting. I wish I were making this up, but I'm not.

While nobody rides on I-495, on a local street in only takes a few seconds of distraction and a very small course deviation before a cyclist and a vehicle are on a path to intersect.

I do not and will not commute by bike but respect those who do and try to maximize my visibility whenever I'm out. I just took delivery of one of these (http://www.elevengear.com/trafficmaster.html) (no affliation) and can tell you it is just awesome.

Shiny side up.

spiderman
10-06-2010, 08:22 PM
It would be fun to see a "stating of the obvious"
...What are you wearing/what are you riding
Either from week to week or month to month
In our various climates
As we inspire each other to ride at our current
Or into the next level of commuting insanity!?!

I actually have more old ties hanging in my closet
Than biking jerseys...not wanting to get rid of anything
If I wear them every once in awhile I get to keep them...
...Eventually they'll come back in style...
Maybe a bow tie for my next post??
Maybe a 'save the children' paint theme for the new bike project??
I'll see if I can find a teaser pic for you!

Ahneida Ride
10-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Jacket needs to be accessorized with some Fine Cigar Bra. :rolleyes:

Thinking around the Collar.