PDA

View Full Version : long reach brakes on "normal" frames?

vqdriver
10-05-2010, 12:10 PM
can you run long reach brakes on "road" frames?
i ask cuz i'd like to be able to just buy a set that i know will work on different frames and just move stuff around.

Louis
10-05-2010, 12:17 PM
I guess it would depend on the length of the slot on the brake arm. One problem I've had is getting the pad high enough to match the wheel rim brake track. All depends on how the various dimensions fall out.

Ken Robb
10-05-2010, 12:27 PM
yep, what Louis said. "Long" reach is sometimes used when "standard" reach would be more accurate but so many bikes these days use "short" brakes that they are now thought of as the standard. :) Confused yet? Me too. The good news is that I can usually find the actual measurements for range of adjustment in the specs for each caliper and match them with the distance between the brake mounting holes on the frame and my wheels' braking surface. You may find that "standard" reach brakes will have an appropriate range to fit the frames you want to use. True long reach brakes won't on a modern race/road bike.

I have heard that some folks have stretched the size range of their calipers a bit bt filing the slots but I have never had to do that myself.

AndrewS
10-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I would guess not. Short reach brakes are 39-49mm of reach, while the next longer reach is 47-57mm. Only 2mm of overlap.

A quick survey of four road bikes shows most of them using the upper half of the adjustment range - call it 45mm of reach or less. No long reach brake is going to be able to get the pads up high enough for standard short reach mounts.

I guess it is a shame no one doesn't make a brake with 39-59mm of adjustment - maybe they do, but I've never heard of one. The biggest I've seen is some of the newer Tektro short reach calipers come with a 39-51 range, which may work for you. Check out the R741 and R540.

Pete Serotta
10-05-2010, 04:55 PM
yep, what Louis and Ken said :beer:

AndrewS
10-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Yeah, what Louis, Ken and Pete said. :beer:

Louis
10-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Something must be wrong here, we're all in violent agreement.

Random comment: If you want your brakes to feel as "hard" as possible, then you'd want the pads to be as close to the pivots. Otherwise, the farther you move from the pivot the more material you have to bend. However, the closer you get to the top (especially on front brakes) the more likely you are to run into the fork or seat stays, since the slot is usually angled away from the mounting point. (If that makes sense.)

AndrewS
10-05-2010, 05:18 PM
That makes sense, Louis, but one doesn't get to choose the reach of their brake. If you're using a 700c frame with 700c wheels, your brake reach is what it is.

Louis
10-05-2010, 05:23 PM
If you're using a 700c frame with 700c wheels, your brake reach is what it is.

I've found about a 5mm variation from one type of clincher to another in the position of the braking area on the rim, with OPs having a larger radius and MA-40's having a smaller radius. So wheel selection does give you some control over this.