PDA

View Full Version : Nice ride this past Saturday

BumbleBeeDave
10-04-2010, 07:18 PM
I was up at my girlfriend's cabin this past weekend and went on a great ride through Olmstedville, Irishtown, and Loch Muller, NY, with my friend Gary who came up for the day. It was just a super nice day with foliage right at peak and made some great pics.

This is Gary on Wamsley Road with the peaks in the background.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
10-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Gary had never ridden here before and was slightly awestruck. He said it was kind of eerie . . . all these beautiful houses and forest and not a soul around. I twas like riding through a ghost town. We saw maybe 6-8 cars in 25 miles of riding.

Pete Serotta
10-04-2010, 07:24 PM
A wonderful picture - but them I always like your pictures and those of Ray in PA.

PETE :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
10-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Some were opulent and huge. But many were just smaller but very nice. This is Loch Muller Road again.

BumbleBeeDave
10-04-2010, 07:28 PM
. . . one more time.

BumbleBeeDave
10-04-2010, 07:30 PM
. . . on Wamsley Road.

BumbleBeeDave
10-04-2010, 07:31 PM
. . . like this creek we crossed over on Trout Brook Road. I assume this is the creek that gave the road it's name.

BumbleBeeDave
10-04-2010, 07:33 PM
. . . on Irishtow/Hoffmans Road. The first one is climbing the one pretty stiff hill we had to get over.

BumbleBeeDave
10-04-2010, 07:37 PM
. . . to get one of me riding past the Irishtown Catholic Church, which as you can see, is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. It's spectacularly scenic, immaculately maintained, and has been totally deserted every time I've ever been there. Also here's a couple of more pics of the exterior and one of the interior, which has several almost life sized statues of various saints. Out there in No-where's-ville this was really slightly creepy and also gave some good chances to do kind of double exposures without having to double expose. The last one is shot through the window at an oblique angle, which let the surrounding forest reflect in the window and also get in the photos.

BBD

Secosera
10-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Wow,

Beautiful pictures. I now have a new desktop background =)

That one with the statues in the window is pretty creepy, but in a good way. Sounds like a great ride!

malcolm
10-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Great pics. The neck seems to be working pretty well, congrats.

oliver1850
10-04-2010, 08:37 PM

AngryScientist
10-04-2010, 09:07 PM
looks like a great time, thanks for sharing the excellent pics :beer:

jghall
10-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks BBD. Nice stuff. Always like to see pics as the season changes. My favorite time to just ride and take in the scenery.

weisan
10-04-2010, 09:09 PM
very nice. dave-pal, I am glad your recovery is going well.

cassa
10-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Really nice pictures, as always. The trees are really putting on a show!

Looks like a wonderful ride.

BumbleBeeDave
10-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the great pictures. I'm surprised by the Catholic church. In the small towns in Illinois, the Catholic churches are often the most ornate and elaborate buildings in town. I'm surprised to see one that so much resembles a one room school house. I assume it has more to do with age than location. Do you have any idea when the church was built?

. . . says 1848. And a few feet down the road there is indeed a one room schoolhouse that goes with the church. It's just a strange, slightly Twilight Zone-ish place precisely because here's the church, schoolhouse, cemetery, and across the road is a baseball diamond and playground--and I've never seen anybody there actually doing anything.

Here's a whole page about the place and the 1860 schoolhouse . . .

http://www.irishtown.org/irishtown.html

BBD

JBone
10-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Great scenery, I would love to ride through these roads not only with a bike but with a convertible... preferably a Porsche. :)

oliver1850
10-04-2010, 09:46 PM

msl819
10-04-2010, 09:56 PM
BBD... great shots. when i see scenic shots like that all i can think is that is where my CRL was made to be ridden. classic!

firerescuefin
10-05-2010, 01:05 AM
BBD...you look better than your last posted pic ;)

Like the Catlike. It looks good on you noggin. Beautiful pics, glad to see you out on the bike. How are you feeling...neck, etc.

RABikes2
10-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Great to see you out riding Dave! It looks like it was a fabulous ride. Thanks for the terrific pics!

It's great to know you're doing better and back on the bike!

RA

CNY rider
10-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Love the pics; even better to know you're back on the bike again. :beer:

henrypretz
10-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Dave,

I always enjoy seeing your pictures, and these are no exception. We don't get much fall color out here in my area.
Double bonus seeing you back on the road.

Take care,
Henry

bigflax925
10-05-2010, 09:50 AM
I forgot how nice the seasonal change to Fall is. What great pictures.

Looks like a fantastic ride.

Steevo
10-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Great photos. Quiet country roads are the best cycling anywhere (IMHO). Glad to see you're back on the bike!!

Johny
10-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Love the pics; even better to know you're back on the bike again. :beer:

+1. And why we were not invited?! :) :beer:

Ray
10-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Beautiful pics Dave. I like the riding shots a lot, and the foliage, but I think my favorites are the stuff around the town/church, with the shadows and reflections. Beautiful work.

The leaves haven't changed around here yet - we had the briefest hint of color on a ride I did on Saturday, but its been raining pretty much non-stop since. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we'll start to get some color. Below is one shot from a recent ride - just a couple of Chester County horses paying respects to the Serotta forum!

Really glad to see you're back riding and shooting again, not much the worse for wear and tear...

-Ray

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/5046822813_bf93ce38c0_o.jpg

sc53
10-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Dave--what did you do to your neck? I must have missed that thread. Great shots, as always. Ray--how did you get that fantastic shot of the horses and clouds? Is that tweaked via Photoshop or did you do it with your camera?

BumbleBeeDave
10-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Dave--what did you do to your neck? I must have missed that thread. Great shots, as always. Ray--how did you get that fantastic shot of the horses and clouds? Is that tweaked via Photoshop or did you do it with your camera?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=77938

:D

Ray
10-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Ray--how did you get that fantastic shot of the horses and clouds? Is that tweaked via Photoshop or did you do it with your camera?
No photoshop. Just a wide angle lens and converted to black and white using an infra-red film emulator, in the Aperture program on the Mac. Doesn't create anything that wasn't there (like Photoshop can), but it helps you accentuate what you want - like an old darkroom but a LOT more easily.

-Ray

BumbleBeeDave
10-05-2010, 06:22 PM
How are you getting your photos to show up that large? Are you linking from somewhere? I still can't get the hang of doing that.

BBD

Ray
10-05-2010, 06:47 PM
How are you getting your photos to show up that large? Are you linking from somewhere? I still can't get the hang of doing that.

BBD
Yeah, Dave, they're hosted on Flickr. I used to do the same from PhotoBucket - I think any of them will do it. I just use the little picture frame icon in the "reply" or "new thread" window to turn on the code, paste the url in, and then use the same icon to turn off the code. If you hit "quote" to reply to my message with the image in it, you'll see the link it sets up. Doing it that way, it doesn't use any of the Serotta site's resources so it doesn't matter if its bigger than the site supports when you upload them directly. Of course, if I remove the image from Flickr, the link goes nowhere and the image doesn't show up anymore. Oh well - there are downsides to everything...

-Ray