PDA

View Full Version : A question on custom paint...

veggieburger
10-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Here's a question for the builders out there...

Let's say I have a piece of art I'd like to have under the clearcoat on my new custom frame (a flag, something my kid drew, a family crest, etc etc). What's the best way to get this on a frame? Should I just give it to the builder and assume he can recreate it, or in the case of a flag, make a fine foil print-out??

Thanks!!

Lifelover
10-04-2010, 01:09 PM
John Slawta with Land Shark does some kind of image transfer like you are talking about. It use to be featured on his home page but I don't see it anymore. You may want to call and ask him about it.

AndrewS
10-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Art done on rice paper works well with clear coats. Surf boarders frequently do this with asian paintings because the rice paper disappears in the lacquer leaving the art on the background color.

Vinyl decals can be printed on now days at sign shops to various degrees of complication.

I think it really depends what it is, how big, and how permanent you want it. Some airbrush artists do amazing things, but not always with good bike paints. If you want to do it in the paint, motorcycle custom shops would be the best place to look.

veggieburger
10-04-2010, 01:32 PM
I suppose a thin vinyl would work ok, or even a small stencil if the image is simple enough...

PBWrench
10-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Check out Cyclart -- they do that sort of stuff. Good luck!