PDA

View Full Version : OT Longboards for flat Cruising

Lifelover
10-04-2010, 11:28 AM
The last skateboards I had with a Logan Earth ski and an homemade aluminum deck my dad made me. I was never into crazy tricks or ramps but was a pretty accomplished cruiser. My boys (14 and 17) have shown zero interest in skating until very recently. My 17 y/o bought a Sector Nine (36" maybe) board and has been cruising with his friends. Now it's got my 14 y/o and me wanted to cruise as well.

I'm looking for some very, very basic advice. I have tried riding my sons and some of his friends but they just don't seem as stable as I recall. Most likely just me, I assume.

I'm in the 250 lb range. What should I look for in a board for myself? It is complete flat where we live and simply want to cruise for fun and exercise.

Is there a "Trek" of skateboards so I can get a decent board at a decent price to get started?

Is there any real advantage to the length? The longer it is the less stable it feels to me.

Should I be riding in the center, front or rear of the board? How does width play into it?

The idea of the drop boards appeal to me. Good/bad?

If I ride it wearing one of my cycling clown suits will I be arrested or just mocked heavily?

Blah, Blah, Blah? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Pegoready
10-04-2010, 11:44 AM
If I ride it wearing one of my cycling clown suits will I be arrested or just mocked heavily?

Yes.

Get a pair of Vans and some normal clothes, please!

I have found that really long longboards are zero fun. Get something that's small and maneuverable so you can kick the tail up when you bounce off pavement cracks.

The Krooked Zip Zinger, with Independent Trucks, soft 60mm wheels, and Bones Swiss bearings is my top pick. I really don't feel like there is a Trek of the skate world. The junk you may see at sporting goods stores isn't that much cheaper and come with cheesy trucks and bearings.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3126/krookedzipzinger001mi3.jpg

William
10-04-2010, 12:53 PM
The last skateboards I had with a Logan Earth ski and an homemade aluminum deck my dad made me. I was never into crazy tricks or ramps but was a pretty accomplished cruiser. My boys (14 and 17) have shown zero interest in skating until very recently. My 17 y/o bought a Sector Nine (36" maybe) board and has been cruising with his friends. Now it's got my 14 y/o and me wanted to cruise as well.

I'm looking for some very, very basic advice. I have tried riding my sons and some of his friends but they just don't seem as stable as I recall. Most likely just me, I assume.

I'm in the 250 lb range. What should I look for in a board for myself? It is complete flat where we live and simply want to cruise for fun and exercise.

Is there a "Trek" of skateboards so I can get a decent board at a decent price to get started?

Is there any real advantage to the length? The longer it is the less stable it feels to me.

Should I be riding in the center, front or rear of the board? How does width play into it?

The idea of the drop boards appeal to me. Good/bad?

Blah, Blah, Blah? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

You can find a quality board for yourself no problem. At your weight I would go with a 9 or 10-ply deck. An 8-ply could work but would be on the flexy side for my tastes and peace of mind. For fun cruising a pair of Randal 180's and most any 70mm or bigger sized wheel in a say 78 to 85 durometer should give you a nice smooth ride.

Drop boards are good for carving and sliding because you can sort of lock your feet on the ramps. They tend to be a bit more stable at speed, and being lower they are easier to push along. I tend to ride more centered on my drop boards but I'll move my weight forward a little when I'm running down hill. On my Hoody I'll ride toward the front when cruising unless I'm going to pop the nose up.

Sector 9 makes some good boards, contrary to what some folks say. One of my longboards is an S9 Bullet which I like and it holds my weight no problem.

Earthwing makes some really nice decks and I'm currently running a 9-ply EW Supermodel, with Randal 180's and EW 70mm Smokers set up as a drop-thru.

My go to boards right now are A Clutch Lambchop and Clutch Hoodwalker made at the Sodafactory (similar to a custom bike builder). I had the builder make these in 10-ply for my big self. The Lambchop for freeriding, sliding, and plain old carving fun. The Hoody is more for dancing and general cruising. It's a 50" double kick so it's very long and I can do some low key tricks if I want. The Lambchop is set up with Randal 180's and 87mm Hesher Snowballs. The Hoody is set up with Triad 180's and 70mm S9 Race formula wheels.

I was a ramp/pool/park & downhill shredder when I was younger. Now I dig cruising and down hilling on my Longboards with my family.

William

LiteFM
10-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Never really understood longboarding on flat terrain. It's so much more fun carving down slight descents on a longboard. I'd grab yourself a Zipzinger and have some fun shredding up your hood.
-John

ti_boi
10-04-2010, 07:01 PM
I would recommend the long pintail from sector nine.

https://www.sector9.com/?gclid=CKOz-9G1uqQCFQvs7Qod0Q50zA#/product/boards/

William
10-05-2010, 06:00 AM
Sector 9 and Gravity are both good entry level boards

Earthwing, Landyachtz, Loaded are a step up.

Sodafactory = Clutch/CandySpanks/Airotica are like the Serotta or Sachs of the skateboard world.

Here are few of the current offerings out of the shop.....Custom fabrics, Zebra Wood, and lacquers....

William

LiteFM
10-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Damn those Candy Spanks look really fun.

William
10-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Damn those Candy Spanks look really fun.

Pages of eye candy here...

http://s558.photobucket.com/albums/ss26/scratchmail/?start=0

Clutch, CandySpanks, and Airotica decks.

LambChops
Toe Cutters
Knuckle Dusters
Big Birds
Chili Cans
DoubleTaps
Jailbaits
Hoodwalkers
Deeznutz
TunaMelt
SofaKing
Aluminaughty

Many different plys & lay-ups, Hemp stringers, foam cores, formica and aluminum outer plys, exotic wood laminates, fabrics, custom builds etc....

Have fun!! :D

William

Keith A
10-05-2010, 03:47 PM
A great place to go for input is http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com, you will find plenty of discussions about longboards. I have several longboards that my daughter and I ride...Gravity Hyper-Carve, Mini-Carve, Makai, Kalai (lite flex), Ed Economy, Sector 9 Supercuiser and a Fibreflex Cutaway.

Right now I'm really digging the Kalai and it is setup with Randal II's 180 and Gravity Hi-Grade wheels.

http://www.gravityboard.com/support/gstore/boards/dc41/dc41_fp.jpg

Keith A
10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Sector 9 and Gravity are both good entry level boards

Earthwing, Landyachtz, Loaded are a step up.

Sodafactory = Clutch/CandySpanks/Airotica are like the Serotta or Sachs of the skateboard world.

Here are few of the current offerings out of the shop.....Custom fabrics, Zebra Wood, and lacquers....

WilliamWilliam -- What's the deal with Sodafactory??? I've been interested in learning more about their boards, but they don't have a real website...just a page on the Silverfish.

ti_boi
10-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Gorgeous!!! Wow. Never seen wood laminate like that William.

William
10-05-2010, 06:09 PM
William -- What's the deal with Sodafactory??? I've been interested in learning more about their boards, but they don't have a real website...just a page on the Silverfish.

Gorgeous!!! Wow. Never seen wood laminate like that William.

The website question is one that pops up often. But it's just not big on Rus's radar right now. He's already making decks pretty much 24/7 and he prefers handling it through PM's on the Silverfish page as well as offering up special decks, one-offs, and customer drop outs on a daily or weekly basis through posts. He's got some amazing designs and he's always experimenting and testing new design ideas with the guys who race his boards. His graphics and wood plys are some of the best looking in the Biz IMO. I drop by his shop every so often on my way home from work just to shoot the chit and see what he's cooking up. If you guys are interested in something let me know. I can help set you up.

William

Lifelover
10-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all the info.

William
10-06-2010, 04:09 AM
Thanks for all the info.

No problem. Talking boards can get just as crazy as talking bikes!! :)

William

Lifelover
10-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Out of curiosity, do you guys wear helmets when long boarding?

William
10-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Out of curiosity, do you guys wear helmets when long boarding?

I never did when I was a kid. Even when luging at 55 - 60 mph downhills.....looking back I'm surprised I'm still here at times.

I wear one 99% of the time now. Though occasionally I still ride without.

William

Keith A
10-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Out of curiosity, do you guys wear helmets when long boarding?It depends. If I'm doing some downhilling, then yes. But we don't when we are just cruising around our neighborhood.

Keith A
10-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Never really understood longboarding on flat terrain. It's so much more fun carving down slight descents on a longboard. I'd grab yourself a Zipzinger and have some fun shredding up your hood.
-JohnI completely agree...but what if you only have flat terrain to ride on...do you just not ride?

Lifelover
10-06-2010, 09:58 AM
A great place to go for input is http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com, you will find plenty of discussions about longboards. I have several longboards that my daughter and I ride...Gravity Hyper-Carve, Mini-Carve, Makai, Kalai (lite flex), Ed Economy, Sector 9 Supercuiser and a Fibreflex Cutaway.

Right now I'm really digging the Kalai and it is setup with Randal II's 180 and Gravity Hi-Grade wheels.

http://www.gravityboard.com/support/gstore/boards/dc41/dc41_fp.jpg

I'm diggin this website and the forum. Thanks.

Just like I would recommend to a newbie looking for a bike, I may try buying something from the classifieds there. May even join and throw out a "WTB" for boards for me and my 14 y/o.

Does anybody have any experience with the classifieds there?

Keith A
10-06-2010, 10:02 AM
I've done a little buying there and have had good results. One thing to be aware of is the age of many of the participants on that forum...there are a lot of teenagers and young adults. Also, they are often asking retail prices for their stuff. You might want to do some checking on Craigslist, I've found some good stuff there too.

William
10-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I've done a little buying there and have had good results. One thing to be aware of is the age of many of the participants on that forum...there are a lot of teenagers and young adults. Also, they are often asking retail prices for their stuff. You might want to do some checking on Craigslist, I've found some good stuff there too.

Same here, I watch the local CL since longboards pop up fairly often. I'm not in the market but I keep an eye on it.

William

Lifelover
10-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Same here, I watch the local CL since longboards pop up fairly often. I'm not in the market but I keep an eye on it.

William

Almost all the longboards on my CL are surfboards. Very, very few skateboards.

Is there anyway to riffle thru the 1000+ pages of the forum for sodafactory to get to the important info.

Also what would be the intented use for the candyspanks. That is what I'm used to looking at.

William
10-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Almost all the longboards on my CL are surfboards. Very, very few skateboards.

Is there anyway to riffle thru the 1000+ pages of the forum for sodafactory to get to the important info.

Also what would be the intented use for the candyspanks. That is what I'm used to looking at.

I understand that if you haven't followed the thread for a little bit it can seem over overwhelming. A general listing of the more popular boards is posted every couple of days and you can find one here (click on the links for each board to see the specs)...

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboarding-skateboard-vendors-manufacturers/100717-welcome-soda-factory-clutch-airotica-candy-spanks-1051.html#post1298372829

Examples of the SofaKing and the BigLazy can be seen here...

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboarding-skateboard-vendors-manufacturers/100717-welcome-soda-factory-clutch-airotica-candy-spanks-1049.html#post1298372013

and....

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboarding-skateboard-vendors-manufacturers/100717-welcome-soda-factory-clutch-airotica-candy-spanks-1049.html#post1298372159

And....

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboarding-skateboard-vendors-manufacturers/100717-welcome-soda-factory-clutch-airotica-candy-spanks-1047.html#post1298371377

Currently available Super Chili's....

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboarding-skateboard-vendors-manufacturers/100717-welcome-soda-factory-clutch-airotica-candy-spanks-1048.html#post1298371637

I believe the specs on the Super chili's are...

L: 29''
WB: 21''
W: 8''

It's considered a "mini" in the longboard world. Very responsive though.

There are others I'm sure but this is basically what I'm more familiar with since I started reading the SF thread. If you have an idea for a board that can be made as well.

Personally if you will just be cruising on flatter roads, the SofaKing or BigLazy with Randal II 180's would still give you a maneuverable responsive board. The Hoodwalker is a similar size but has a kicktail on each end.

If you like I can ask or dig if there is something more specific you are thinking of.

William

Keith A
10-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey William -- Thanks for the info. One thing that I would be interested in finding out and that is what each of the boards are designed for...such as downhilling, casual carving, etc. I even looked at some of the pages for the products, but didn't see anything there :confused:

bking
10-07-2010, 05:26 PM
I never did when I was a kid. Even when luging at 55 - 60 mph downhills.....looking back I'm surprised I'm still here at times.

I wear one 99% of the time now. Though occasionally I still ride without.

William

Not my intention to preach, but it's too fresh not to weigh in here.
Two close friends have lost their sons on long boards w/o helmuts in the last 12 months. They both always wore them.
The first was on a sidewalk, at a walking pace with some friends. He fell back, head caught a curb. Freak accident really. Curb wouldn't have been right there he'd of laughed at himself for a dumb fall.
The second was coming home with friends after boarding, saw one last short hill to catch before dark, he jumped out of the truck to make the run. He always wore his helmut.
It's a good habit...as is said, one we can live with. Be safe.

Keith A
10-07-2010, 07:37 PM
bking -- That is really sad. I have a good friend who lost one of his pals longboarding...again not wearing a helmet. His story was similar to your friends, he typically wore a helmet and was an experienced downhiller. He went out for some casual riding without his helmet and fell hitting his head...which ended his life.

Lifelover
10-07-2010, 08:31 PM
I understand t...... more specific you are thinking of.

William

Great info. THANKS

sfghbiker
10-07-2010, 09:39 PM
I ride a longboard for just cruising around, no major hill bombing. I've had a couple of different boards and this is my current favorite: NeverSummer Heist

http://www.neversummer.com/2010/skate/heist.html

I LOVE this board. I was going to get a Loaded Dervish but ended up with one of these instead and am really happy with it.

I have gotten all of my boards through daddiesboard shop (no affiliation). I believe they are in Oregon and they've been great.

Always a helmet. Also, make sure you buy good wheels as this makes a huge difference.

William
10-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Hey William -- Thanks for the info. One thing that I would be interested in finding out and that is what each of the boards are designed for...such as downhilling, casual carving, etc. I even looked at some of the pages for the products, but didn't see anything there :confused:

Well, most of the differences in the boards has to do with the amount of the ratio of concave to flats to pockets. They all perform very well, a lot of what you will like depends on your stance and foot size. I tend to ride with my feet more perpendicular to the nose and with my big feet, a board with a more aggressive concave isn't comfortable for longer rides. The cut out on a ToeCutter or JailBait help relieve that, but again with big feet a little less concave is better for me. Obviously drop-thru or top mount is a decision as well. If you like a very responsive board, going top mount might be your choice. Drop thrus tend to be more stable at speed, but they are less responsive for turns. There is also a little bit of twist that you'll get with a drop through that will deaden it as well. If you're into fast DH then that's probably the way you want to go. If you're just cruising, doing mild DH, and or doing some carving and sliding I would go top mount. More versatile and fun.

For me the LambChop was love at first ride. A very responsive top mount board that allows me to carve and slide with ease, but it's also very stable at speed. Just the right amount of concave to lock my big feet in, but no so much to be uncomfortable on longer ride sessions. The cool thing to is that what ever board you choose, Rus will ask about your weight, riding style, and foot size and tune the board for you. Not something you'll get from buying most other brands. Actually, most other boards are built by Watson Laminates. Folks will submit their designs, Watson will build them, and then the designers slap their logos on them. That doesn't mean they are bad boards, it just means you lose that personal touch of tuning and graphics choices that Rus can give you.

With the Cruisers/dancers like the BigLazy, SofaKing, and Hoodwalker the differences are in length, rocker, and concave. The Hoody has the kick tails the other two don't but that may or may not matter depending on your style.

The CandySpanks minis are just fun carvers for cruising around. Fun boards.

Wheel choice is important. Right now I would recommend the Hesher Snowballs for the cut out boards. It has the right amount of grip, speed, and smoothness, but when and if you want it to slide, it's like butter when it lets go. They are a bit too big for the Cruisers unless you use large risers which I wouldn't recommend. I would go no bigger then 70 mm and use something like Big Zigs, S9 Race Formulas, or Old Schoolz.

It's a really good time to be riding. Great choices, and great equipment available at decent prices.

William

PS: The nitty gritty.....

DoubleTap:
Description: Drop-thru drop-deck for skateboarding

The specs:
L: 40” (39 15/16”) or 101.5cm
W: 10” rail-to-rail (25.2 cm)
Drop: 5/8” (actual 21/32”) or 1.6cm, aggressive bends, zero wedging
Wheel base: 30.5” or 77.5cm
Concave: ultra comfortable design for sideways stance effectiveness, flat center to graduated radial. Deepest point just over ½” (1.5cm)
Drops thru: Randal 50 & 42, Paris 6 hole, and others. (no Bears)
Fully symmetrical
Materials: standard = 9 ply Hard rock Maple, 10 ply by special order.
Other finishes: t.b.a
Options: t.b.a.
Pressed in a CNC’d mold under 40+ tons of pressure

Graphic # 1: Upper part is design by Rod Gon, from Soda concept Beddy & Veronicah sharing some ice cream… Yum! Ice cream! Lower rabbit has empty word bubble so we can write in a message or the customer can… yer name or what not. Screen printed in house. We will be adding additional graphics later on… (especially if Archie Comics sues us har… )

LambChop:
Description: 5/8” Drop-deck for speed, Dh, freeriding, and general whoop-ass

The specs:
L: 39” (39 1/16”) or 99.25cm
W: 9.8” rail-to-rail (25 cm)
Drop: 5/8” (actual 21/32”) or 1.6cm, aggressive bends, zero wedging
Wheel base: Double drilled: 30.5”, 31.25”, 32” or 77.5cm, 79.4cm, 81.3cm
Concave: ultra comfortable design for sideways stance effectiveness, flat center to graduated radial. Deepest point just over ½” (1.5cm)
Drilled old school
Fully symmetrical
Materials: standard = 9 ply Hard rock Maple, 10 ply by special order.
Other finishes: t.b.a
Pressed in a CNC’d mold under 40+ tons of pressure

Graphic # 1: This is an adaptation of gig poster by Justin Hampton that was a tribute to the Frank Miller Daredevil Comic # 187. It’s going to be limited unless folks really dig it… (it’s a design I have wanted to do for myself for several years as a fan of Miller & Hampton)
Again, we are gong to do other graphics for this board in the future, including the Mike Russell edition . Screen printed in house.

KnuckleDuster:
The specs:
L: 40” (39 7/8”) or 101cm
W: 10” rail-to-rail (25.2 cm)
Wheel base: 30.25” 77cm
Concave: flat center to graduated elliptical. Deepest point just over ½” (1.5cm)
Drops: Randal 50 & 42, Pais & Bear, and others. Wide cut for low profile hangar swing
Materials: standard = 8ply Hard rock Maple and 1/16” formica. (7 & 9 ply avail.) The new formica (Pionite) we are using is comparable to an extra ply and orientation increases torsional stability.
Finishes: White & Black formica, & periodic other colors

What’s different:
It’s fully symmetrical. The deck space has pushed a bit further for maximum foot area.
A wider flat area in center, lower rail height, wider etc… the functionality has expanded & improved. The new mold is CNC precise for a stronger, smother pressing.
The new Knucky is a whole new board…

Availability: ` for black or white formica may be ordered. Other colors & finishes will appear here for now, as they become available for order we’ll post news. For maximum longitudinal & torsional stiffness & heavier riders 9 ply+ formica is available… 7 for lighter riders or a more forgiving ride. 8 is standard.

ToeCutter:
The specs:
L: 40 7/8” or 104cm
W: 10” rail-to-rail (25.2 cm) Width tapers toward back
Wheel base: 31” 79cm
Concave: Wide, flat center to graduated elliptical. Deepest point just over ½” (1.5cm)
Drops: Randal 50 & 42, Pais & Bear, and others. Special side cuts to prevent hangar bite with low profile trucks
Materials: standard = 8 or 9 ply Hard rock Maple and 1/16/ or 1/32” formica.
Other finishes & options: t.b.a

The new Toecutter is wider front & back and has a more functional concave than the old model… We have slightly increased the standing platform and decreased the wheelbase a bit… and the lines have been restyled. The big difference is the concave… wider, increased flat center area with a smother transition to the business sides and less rail height. We also removed the taper. You’ll feel more relaxed at speed and will be more comfortable on loose trucks. Like the new Knucky is a whole new board but, in a familiar silhouette…

JailBait:
The specs:
L: 38 3/4” or 98.5cm
W: 9.875” rail-to-rail (25 cm) Width tapers toward back
Wheelbase: 29” 73.5cm
Concave: Wide, flat center to graduated elliptical. Deepest point ½” (1.3cm)
Drops: Randal 50 & 42, Pais & Bear, and others. Special side cuts to help prevent hangar bite with some low profile trucks
Materials: standard = 7 or 8 ply Hard rock Maple and formica.
Other finishes & options: t.b.a

As with the Knucky and Toecutter, the big difference is the concave… wider, increased flat center area with a smother transition to the business sides and less rail height. Like the new Toecuter, it’s a new board but, in a familiar silhouette. The shape of the cut-outs has changed and the platform has grown in general.

HoodWalker:
Two bull-nosed Hoodwalkers:
New specs:
50” L
9.5” W
33” WB
mellow 1/3 from front camber
comfortable medium concave
Nose has been trimmed from older hoodie and front pocket has been widened up a bit.

DeezNuts:
Length: 40.9” (call it 41”)
Wheelbase: 33.4”
Drop: 1.7”
Nose Wedging: 10 degrees
Tail dewedging: 6 degrees
Width: 10.125 widest… rear is 9.5”
Concave: gradual high rise from a 4” flat. Deep comfortable pockets at the corners.
Deck area: 25.5”
Construction: 9 or 10 ply hard rock Maple. Pressed under 35 tons. Hand shaped.
Drilled old school
Finish & Price: Natural $127, Black $131, Formica $141, Carbon twill t.b.a.

Notes: -Since last time I wrote about it we refined the deck area and it is infinitely more comfortable & versatile so, now it makes a killer commuter/carver as well as a race/dh deck.
-This first run that will go through early September are hand made, expect a small bit of the wabisabi that comes with a hand crafted board.
-Formica colors for now will be as available only. (long story)

We have been working on & testing a wedged & dewedged drop for years and think you will be very pleased at it’s speed & freeride capabilities especially the amount of control the shape gives the rider… this shape allows you to handle speeds and corners with drifts, pre-drifts, standers & speedchecks with ease. You’ll see video soon.

The drop was raised from 2” to 1.7 to accommodate the randal 42 degree plate giving you even more options for tuning… right now mine has these plates and they seem to be a perfect fit for the board across a wide range of riding scenarios.

Hesher SnowBalls:
http://www.hesherwheels.com/

William
10-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Just for the heck of it....

A custom Wicker topped Airotica BigLazy with laminated hemp stringers and pink formica bottom ply. :cool:

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss26/scratchmail/bl1.jpg

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss26/scratchmail/BL9.jpg

A Big Boy CandySpanks....

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss26/scratchmail/032.jpg

William

William
03-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Since the weather is getting nicer and the longboards have been coming out at the William abode, time to get stretched out and limber for gliding the wood. ;)

Yoga for Speedboarders
http://vimeo.com/14409528

Now, to get those knees wobbly!!:eek:
http://vimeo.com/1654340

And for the cool down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkviQ41u0eQ

William

These posts are meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem to be right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your cancelled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to insure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in well-ventilated area. Keep away from fire or flame. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs, or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Decision of judges is final.

GuyGadois
03-28-2012, 11:35 AM
William, are you using that K2 kick board I sent off to you?

GG

William
03-28-2012, 11:56 AM
William, are you using that K2 kick board I sent off to you?

GG

Oh yes, she still has a place in the line up.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/IMG_0477.jpg

A little narrow for my size 16's, but our son is loving it! People always ask what it is when they see it.

William

Honey
03-28-2012, 11:58 AM
I kind of jumped to the end of this thread so if i retread anything my apologies, but as william said, talking decks is quite a bit like talking frames and like cycling, wheels are important and often crap on typical stock setups.

Far more importantly I'd also highly recommend purchasing 2 ~10' lengths of quality rope (preferably climbing but others can be substituted) and 2~ 6-8" pieces of PVC pipe. With these materials (1 rope attached to the seat post and the middle of the other piece of rope and the PVC creates handles with the second set of rope) and your bikes/ boards you create a great situation where the longboarder is not holding up the cyclist (because they are being towed by the cyclist), the cyclist is not bored by going slow (because they are towing the longboarder), and the longboarder gets to carve turns all day long. It's pretty great.

If you need more info/ recommendations on towing setups I'm happy to help, it's a personal favorite past time. Such as having one long length of rope running around the back of the skaters and attached to the seat post (N.B. this requires the skater to be properly trimming the length of the rope at most times. I'd call it a more advanced technique but also quite fun).

Most importantly, it's a great way for you to spend time with your kids!

William
03-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Cool set up Honey, sounds like fun.

Another thing worth a try (and a great upper body workout) is dry land rowing with a big stick. You can buy versions but I made my own. The astute viewer may note my use of Handlebra. ;)

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/IMG_0478.jpg

There is a little used bike/running path a few miles away that is about six miles total out and back. a few rises but no big hills. My pecs, delts, lats, traps, triceps, and biceps are on fire after a run. Great work out and fun too.

William

Jaq
03-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Great googley mooglies. A long-board thread?

So a few weeks ago, I'm doing this climb in Malibu called "Tuna Canyon." It's actually a one-way road (downhill); to climb it, you've obviously got to go the wrong way. It can be done, but you've absolutely got to keep your eyes and ears open for on-coming traffic.

It also happens to be a favorite hill for long boarders. On a given day, you'll probably see a dozen or so young guys bombing down the hill. And if you're climbing, quite a few will shoot you a wicked stare and shout something like "Wrong way, a--hole!" And it's impossible not to smile and think:

Food & Sports drink for a grueling climb: $
Exotic bike and high-end gear: $$$$
Irony of being screamed at by grungy longboarders for breaking the law: priceless.

William
03-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Great googley mooglies. A long-board thread?

So a few weeks ago, I'm doing this climb in Malibu called "Tuna Canyon." It's actually a one-way road (downhill); to climb it, you've obviously got to go the wrong way. It can be done, but you've absolutely got to keep your eyes and ears open for on-coming traffic.

It also happens to be a favorite hill for long boarders. On a given day, you'll probably see a dozen or so young guys bombing down the hill. And if you're climbing, quite a few will shoot you a wicked stare and shout something like "Wrong way, a--hole!" And it's impossible not to smile and think:

Food & Sports drink for a grueling climb: $
Exotic bike and high-end gear: $$$$
Irony of being screamed at by grungy longboarders for breaking the law: priceless.

Are you calling me grungy!!?!?!:butt:

:D;)

William

crownjewelwl
03-28-2012, 12:31 PM
No problem. Talking boards can get just as crazy as talking bikes!! :)

William

is there anything you don't know about??

GuyGadois
03-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Those K2s have the coolest trucks - bar none. Glad it's getting use. It really needs better wheels on it. Something really wide and soft like some old skool Kryptonic reds.

GG

William
03-28-2012, 12:37 PM
is there anything you don't know about??

I don't know squat about women. If my wife didn't love me, I would probably be a hermit. ;)

Those K2s have the coolest trucks - bar none. Glad it's getting use. It really needs better wheels on it. Something really wide and soft like some old skool Kryptonic reds.

GG

Some red Kryptos would be very sweet on that board.:cool:

William

Keith A
03-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Now, to get those knees wobbly!!:eek:
http://vimeo.com/1654340
...This is just crazy...any guess how fast they are going?

William
03-28-2012, 01:17 PM
This is just crazy...any guess how fast they are going?

I'm guessing 45 - 50mph, but it could be a little higher in sections.

Hey!! I think that was Jaq at about 4:12!!!:p

William

Keith A
03-28-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm guessing 45 - 50mph, but it could be a little higher in sections.I would not want to eat it going down that hill :no:

Jaq
03-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Are you calling me grungy!!?!?!:butt:

William

Well, I suppose grungy longboarder is a tad redundant.:D

William
03-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Well, I suppose grungy longboarder is a tad redundant.:D

I hope you're not planning on getting into Dave Kirk's que.:p

William

Jaq
03-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Nah, man. Awesome as Dave's work is, I just go a killer deal on a frame from a guy in Montana. He took my measurements over the phone and promised a 72 hour turnaround and it only cost me 7k.

Shaaaa-WING!

0nelove
03-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Expensive and a lot of hype, but Loaded does make some fine riding boards. I´ve got a Ceviche (not really what you´re looking for, but just saying) and it´s amazing. I´ve had loads of Sector 9 (the Trek of longboards) and ridden a bunch of others...the Loaded is much nicer.

G-Reg
04-01-2012, 10:05 AM
In our house we have 2 Sector 9s, a Bustin, Loaded and a Landyachtz.

I often drag or push my kid around when on my bike. Great Fun.

crossjunkee
04-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Nobody has mentioned Never Summer?

Check them out, pretty slick IMO. Decks are made right down the street from me. The Swift, Concept, and Eclipse are my fav's.

http://neversummer.com/skate

Keith A
04-01-2012, 01:25 PM
In our house we have 2 Sector 9s, a Bustin, Loaded and a Landyachtz.

I often drag or push my kid around when on my bike. Great Fun.I'm not sure I'm ready to fess up to what all we have in our house right now, but the list includes Gravity, Sector 9, G&S Fiberflex, Longboard Larry, Schmitt Stix, and Lake. But of all our boards, I always keep coming back to my Gravity Hyper-carve...love that board.

Here's my daughter from this weekend on her Hyper-carve. We scored with this ditch we found while visiting family in my home town

crossjunkee
04-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Keith A, that pic is awesome! If you didn't say this weekend, I'd swear late 70's early 80's.

Keith A
04-01-2012, 02:10 PM
crossjunkee -- I thought the same thing when I saw the picture. I don't know what my daughter did to the picture, but it is a still from the video we were taking with her iPhone 4s. Although, there weren't too many girls riding skateboards back then...not that there are a bunch of them now.

GRAVELBIKE
04-03-2012, 05:05 PM
"I love skateboarding so much I want it to die." -- Jason Jessee

William
04-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Expensive and a lot of hype, but Loaded does make some fine riding boards. I´ve got a Ceviche (not really what you´re looking for, but just saying) and it´s amazing. I´ve had loads of Sector 9 (the Trek of longboards) and ridden a bunch of others...the Loaded is much nicer.

Yeah, I agree. I never understood all the hype around those Loaded boards. Bolt some trucks to a 2x4 and it would ride better.

:p;):)

William

fiamme red
10-19-2012, 11:19 AM
NYC bans Broadway Bomb: http://gothamist.com/2012/10/19/nyc_stops_broadway_bomb_skateboard.php