PDA

View Full Version : How much grease

vqdriver
10-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Repacked my hubs last night and once closed back it turned buttery smooth but with a noticable increase in drag. Not a lot but noticable. Definitely a viscous type drag not mechanical.
I thought you couldn't us too much grease but I wonder if I did.

This isn't my first time but it is the first time with hubs only with no rims. Id just give it a spin before but now the hubs turn in my hand I can feel a lot more.

Fwiw it's finish line teflon grease.

Ken Robb
10-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I think there is a difference when comparing drag with a wheel in your hand vs. under load while riding. Little grease or hardened grease might make bearings feel free and easy with no load but have a lot of friction and wear under load. Fully greased bearings would spin better under load.

SpeedyChix
10-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Shimano hubs or other? Shimano has a couple of lighter weight greases specific for their hubs. I had some DA 7800s cleaned/lubed and they used reg. grease and it was too heavy. Required a clean and then relubed with Shimano grease. All good after that.

TAW
10-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Shimano hubs or other? Shimano has a couple of lighter weight greases specific for their hubs. I had some DA 7800s cleaned/lubed and they used reg. grease and it was too heavy. Required a clean and then relubed with Shimano grease. All good after that.

Very true. A mavic rep said that sewing machine oil was good to use since it is very lightweight.

Wilkinson4
10-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Also, keep in mind that your hub bearing adjustment should be to allow for the compression of the Q/R or it may end up bearing too tight. Best to do final adj when mounted and checking for play.

As far as too much. After a few hundred miles and some oozing grease should be good;)

mIKE

Ralph
10-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I always ride them a full ride after greasing, then readjust as grease is forced out, and wipe away exess grease. A shop can't do this. So I don't always go by what works in a shop. I use Finish Line synthetic white grease, but I believe about any not too heavy grease is OK.

vqdriver
10-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Dura ace 7700 hubs

The finish line is definitely thicker. I've used Phil in the past and tho I didn't have any complaints I wanted to try something different. One tube of grease seems to last forever.

slowandsteady
10-02-2010, 08:39 PM
I recently inquired about cleaning and repacking my Shimano 7850 hubs and was told to use OIL not Grease...

Ken Robb
10-02-2010, 11:02 PM
are we talking about loose ball or "sealed bearings"?

vqdriver
10-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Loose

Louis
10-02-2010, 11:20 PM
I recently inquired about cleaning and repacking my Shimano 7850 hubs and was told to use OIL not Grease...

:confused:

If we're talking about the hub bearing then as far as I know (and have done many times myself) one uses grease.

If you're just spinning the axle in your fingers or fixing the axle and spinning the hub then I think it's not surprising that you don't get any free-wheeling. There isn't enough inertia there to overcome the drag. I'd say if it feels smooth then congratulate yourself for a job well done then build up the wheel and ride it.

Louis

fogrider
10-02-2010, 11:29 PM
yeah, its not how much grease, but the right weight. the thing with oil is that it will dry up so it will need regular servicing.

Jbroskidelivery
10-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Very true. A mavic rep said that sewing machine oil was good to use since it is very lightweight.

Have had countless talks with Tim Jackson (masiguy) about the sewing machine oil and its really only something you wanna do right before raceday as the bearings will get dry and start running sluggishly after a couple days but while the oil is fresh its like riding on rollers with no resistance.. ahh dreamy.. also it used to be (and prolly still is)very popular with track racers, as i did it once to some old SSP Track hubs before a race at hellyer once only to find others did it aswell.

dave thompson
10-03-2010, 02:03 AM
I use Phil grease, pack my hubs full, run the wheels for a couple of weeks and the excess will ooze out. My wheels seem to last forever.

oldpotatoe
10-03-2010, 07:18 AM

Not a good idea. These are loose balls, not cart bearings and the oil will leak out. Grease is oil in 'soap', the 'soap' to keep the 'oil' in place. Oil is great for your hour record attempt, why those holes were in Campagnolo track hubs...

SpeedyChix
10-03-2010, 07:40 AM
For the Shimano ball hubs, they have a Dura Ace special (freehub) grease. Keeps the freehub and bearings happy and spinning. Some greases are too heavy for these. Not to be confused with their SP-41 (which is for housing/shifters).

Here's link to review/article (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/review-lubricants/Shimano-Dura-Ace-Grease_702.html)