PDA

View Full Version : Pedals for the New Year?

oldguy00
10-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Any other pedal whores out there?? :)

I seem to always find my way back to speedplay, but pedals are one piece of equipment that I always like trying different offerings.
Anything new and exciting for 2011?

Things that are important to me:
1. smooth float
2. bearings and cleats do not develop rocking in a short period of time

Things that are not important to me:
1. stack height (bioposition?). Hell, I did my best rides on a set of early 90's Looks combined with Lemond Carnacs. Why is stack height so hyped??
2. Weight

For what its worth (nothing), I think the nicest pedals ever were the original white Time pedals used by LeMond and Indurain. I miss them.

Cheers

fogrider
10-02-2010, 02:18 AM
well, speedplays are way light pedals, but if you add the weight of the cleat back in, its not really much lighter than other pedals.

look keos are wide platforms (they have a max version), light and wide...and they look really cool.

crownjewelwl
10-02-2010, 06:21 AM
you should try look keo blades or time iclic titan carbons. i believe both including cleats are lighter than speedplays with cleats.

i have the blades. the plarform is wider than regular keos which is nice. but the cleat engagement because of the carbon "spring" is what sets them apart. it is instantaneous.

havent tried the times but the concept is similar and they come in white.

TAW
10-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Having tried nearly every Look pedal and Time, I got a set of Shimano pedals. Look style platform, easy to get in/out and NO SQUEAK. Even the newer Look pedals have that annoying sound.

fourflys
10-02-2010, 10:05 AM
there's always the new Dura Ace carbon models that were introduced... I've tried a couple of different brands in road and mtn and always seem to come back to Shimano (even on my Campy bike)...

link (http://www.nytro.com/index.cfm/product/?ProductID=5533&utm_source=google.com&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=GoogleProducts)

crownjewelwl
10-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Having tried nearly every Look pedal and Time, I got a set of Shimano pedals. Look style platform, easy to get in/out and NO SQUEAK. Even the newer Look pedals have that annoying sound.

even with the bimaterial cleats? the grip cleats would always squeak for me. not a prob with the new cleats with the white teflon.

oldguy00
10-02-2010, 10:58 AM
I've tried Dura Ace pedals a couple of times. For whatever reason I could never get used to the type of float they have.

thegunner
10-02-2010, 11:45 AM
damn i was having the same exact thoughts. having used (and loved speedplay zeros for the past year) i was curious if i'd prefer the feel of the look pedals with a wider body. glad to see someone else asked about this too.

oldguy00
10-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I'll probably end up trying either the iclics or the Keo 2 Max's. The blades are a bit beyond my price range!

alexstar
10-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I recently got a pair of the keo 2 max. They squeak - but in my experience it is due to dirt between the pedal platform and the bottom of the cleat, NOT at the engagement surfaces. A little cleaning and the squeak is gone. Annoying though because I came from LOOK Deltas on which I have ridden thousands of squeak-free miles.

aoe
10-02-2010, 02:06 PM
The Time I-clicks are a great pedal and their new system is much easier to click into than the old xrs'. If you don't care about weight, the "racer" version comes in white and seen them at deep discount lately.

oldguy00
10-02-2010, 04:28 PM
The Time I-clicks are a great pedal and their new system is much easier to click into than the old xrs'. If you don't care about weight, the "racer" version comes in white and seen them at deep discount lately.

What is the float like on them compared to other systems, in terms of how free it is?

Thx

rice rocket
10-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Time is all about float. That's their selling point on all their pedals, iirc. +/- 2.5mm on the q-factor, +/- 5 degrees angular float as well.

I got a pair of i-Clic Racers in white as well, haven't put 'em on the bike yet though.

Hank Scorpio
10-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I just switched over from keo carbons to the mavics and am pretty happy so far. Really strong rentention setting and a wider q factor than most other pedals. Smooth bearings and no squeaks so far. Cleats seem to be more durable then the fragile keo cleats. Oh and they are blingy chrome plated too.

scrubadub
10-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I've been a longtime user of Speedplay Xs. I tried the Shimano pedals again briefly, wasn't too enamored with the front back and planned on selling them. Then I changed my mind again and put them on my bike last night. We'll see.

I haven't had any problems with the Speedplays. Just wanting to try something different plus everyone seems to rave about the Shimanos anyway.

pbjbike
10-03-2010, 06:10 PM
SNIP For what its worth (nothing), I think the nicest pedals ever were the original white Time pedals used by LeMond and Indurain. I miss them.

Cheers

I can probably did up a set or two for you. :)

oldguy00
10-03-2010, 07:04 PM
I can probably did up a set or two for you. :)

If they are new old stock, we should talk.. :)

Heavy, but so nice:

http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=a8ce92ad-8b98-47ce-8423-4bb44eb67d4e

Pretty cool website too..