PDA

View Full Version : Interbike?

false_Aest
10-01-2010, 02:02 PM
I seem to remember a lot more coverage during and immediately after interbike in 2008 and 2009.

Anyone else remember things this way?

spartacus
10-01-2010, 02:10 PM
I seem to remember a lot more coverage during and immediately after interbike in 2008 and 2009.

Anyone else remember things this way?

Isn't it moving next year? That might explain the muted coverage by the media. The intention may be to disassociate the event from the venue so that next year it can begin 'renewed'. It's all commercial mechanics.

bike22
10-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Interbike has become less and less relevant over the years.

SoCalSteve
10-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Interbike has become less and less relevant over the years.

Why do you think that is?

Thanks!

FastVegan
10-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I was there and there was very little cool stuff to report about. I love bikes of all kinds, but not to much was outstanding.

The best thing was meeting Joe Parkin, Jens Voight and Gary Fisher.

cody.wms
10-01-2010, 03:44 PM
an interesting take from Brendan at Competitive Cyclist (LINK (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/whats-new/the-etiquette-of-jumping-jacks-.383.html)):

Witness the crumbling bunker. Hear the absurdly optimistic message broadcast from within. The assertion that Interbike enjoyed a tangible uptick in attendance in 2010 is one part flat earth, one part WMD, and a pinch of Baby I love your haircut. The critical fact avoided by the Interbike Minister of Propaganda is that 2010 was the first year the show was conducted simultaneous to (and literally alongside) the big "Health and Fitness" trade show. In pre-registering online to attend either Interbike or "Health and Fitness" you were explicitly encouraged to register at NO EXTRA CHARGE to the other show.

Like a casting call for "Flashdance" or "Rocky 2", the corridors of Interbike were clotted with obvious purveyors of treadmills and Shake Weight For Men. Drill sergeant haircuts; flesh coated in 10 endless summers of spray-on tan; cheekbony-fit like triathletes, but instead of knee-high compression socks, the garb of the realm was Bike-brand coaching shorts and cut-off warm ups. If the Interbike attendance count was (as purported) up by 3%, then 15% of the total attendees were mere rubberneckers, more in tune with the etiquette of jumping jacks than how Rival stacks up against Ultegra. Take the Health & Fitnessers out of the mix and it was a double-digit attendance loss. The word-of-mouth consensus was definitive: The show was a ghost town.

10-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Not many people there. Key exhibitors missing. Not too much attendance. Not much new to show.

I found it amusing that the Venetian, next door, was hosting the Second International Symposium on Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery and that show was mobbed. And there were more than a few bike geeks trying to crash the show as well.

false_Aest
10-01-2010, 04:38 PM
And there were more than a few bike geeks trying to crash the show as well.

I wonder what the models at those dude's booths looked like.

I seem to remember that the biggest winner at interbike last year was the company that made them there blue gram scales that everyone had with em---showing them off like a brand new plastic hoo-ha.

You think the consumer is getting savvvvy to the (un)hype that's been fed to us?

54ny77
10-01-2010, 05:21 PM
now that sounds like a good time.

I found it amusing that the Venetian, next door, was hosting the Second International Symposium on Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery and that show was mobbed.