PDA

View Full Version : How are Sidi Race Genius 5 Pro?

tuxbailey
09-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Compared to the Specialized Pro Carbon?

I wear the Specialized now but at time I feel it is kind of tight and I am thinking about trying a pair of Sidi and see if they are better.

I know that shoes are personal, so I guess I am asking if people generally like the Sidi, or this particular model.

130R
09-30-2010, 10:48 PM
the only input i can add is that sidi insoles are garbage.

but i prefer the looks of sidi than other shoemakers

tuxbailey
09-30-2010, 11:00 PM
the only input i can add is that sidi insoles are garbage.

but i prefer the looks of sidi than other shoemakers

Hmmm if I end up getting them, what are good insoles? If that is the case, how come they are highly regarded? Just because of the look and bling factor?

rice rocket
09-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Is there any more to cycling? ;)

Not sure what to say about the Sidis, but I've been more than pleased w/ my Specialized Pros as well, looking to get into some S-works shoes next season.

pdmtong
09-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Of course YMMV but IMHO there is big difference in fit from the G5's and the 6.6/ergo2's, and even then, I prefer the ergo 2 because of the heel cup adjustment needed for MY foot. The top end sidi just fits ME better.

I also have 2009 s-works shoe. nice as well but ergo 2 by a nose.

of course the problem with all this is $$$. there are deals to be had...just need patience. FWIW I wear a 44 is specialized/shimano/DMT but 44.5 in sidi

tuxbailey
09-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Well, $$$ is definitely a concern, so no ergo2 or 6.6. The G5 was a local deal that I found so it is not nearly as bad for the wallet :)

aoe
09-30-2010, 11:48 PM
I like the shoe and Sidis in general. I use their motorcycle boots as well, and I've always found their products to be well-made.

The G5 is a "solid" shoe but nothing that is head and shoulders above comparable shoes from other brands, IMO. I agree that you should get a diff insole such as Superfeet, but I do that regardless because of high arches.

If you're getting a deal...go for it.

bluesea
10-01-2010, 12:22 AM
The 2010 6.6 is noticeably stiffer than the 05 genius 5. My 45 mega fits well (both the 6.6 and the G5), but without the space to fit the few aftermarket insoles that I've seen. I'm good on longer rides by staying away from ultra-thin socks.

LouDeeter
10-01-2010, 05:51 AM
Specialized body geometry insoles fit my Sidi shoes fine. Sidi offers their shoes in both the normal width and the mega width, for wider feet. I like the heel cup and tongue padding for the Genius 5. I believe the older Sidi Genius had cleat specific adaptor plates, but the newer shoes no longer have them. The advantage for the plate as I recall was to put the shoe closer to the pedal axle. I could be wrong about that as I haven't actually measured the difference. Regardless, the newer Sidi shoes don't require the adaptor plates.

rugbysecondrow
10-01-2010, 06:12 AM
I like the SIDI Dominators, comfortable, walkable and wear well.

tuxbailey
10-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Well, the pair I am looking at is Mega, so it should fit better than my Specialized because I do feel a little bit of tightness around the toe box despite loosening the straps (and I have wide feet.) Based on what I read, the sole is probably less stiff than the Specialized I have since it is carbon injected nylon vs. the full carbon sole of the Specialized. But fit is definitely more important.

Who knows, maybe I will like the fit of the Sidi better and be willing to spend the money to get them when avispa have them for sale again in the classified. :p

johnnymossville
10-01-2010, 09:18 AM
I've had my Sidi Genius 5's for about a year now and they're good. Not much more I can say. They work well and still look almost new after 5000+ miles. My LBS was having a great sale on them last fall and I jumped on it. I think they might be Sidi's best bang for the buck shoe.

I also liked the Cannondale/Diadora's I had before them as well and still have them around just in case.

RADaines
10-01-2010, 09:46 AM
The 2010 6.6 is noticeably stiffer than the 05 genius 5. My 45 mega fits well (both the 6.6 and the G5), but without the space to fit the few aftermarket insoles that I've seen. I'm good on longer rides by staying away from ultra-thin socks.

I am using Genius 5's, 43 mega. My experience with Superfeet Yellow (formally Gray) was that there was insufficient volume in the shoe to accommodate them, particularly with heavier winter socks. I recently tried the Superfeet Black insoles which are intended for low volume shoes, including cycling. I find that these work well whereas the Yellow do not. I tried very hard to see the difference between Black and Yellow but really couldn't. However, they do fit so this may be an option for you. It might depend on which socks you prefer to wear, I use Smartwool Cycling Ultralight in summer and Cycling Light in winter.

rw229
10-01-2010, 09:46 AM
I also liked the Cannondale/Diadora's I had before them as well and still have them around just in case.

Just curious how you find the Sidi fit/sizing vs. the Diadora? Do they run about the same size, smaller, larger?

(apologies to the OP for my slight hijack)

johnnymossville
10-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Just curious how you find the Sidi fit/sizing vs. the Diadora? Do they run about the same size, smaller, larger?

(apologies to the OP for my slight hijack)

The Diadora seems to run slightly larger, and I think the extra room is in the width. The Sidi feels more snug to me, in a good way. But on the other hand, the Sidi feels just a tiny bit more loose in the heel than the Diadora. I guess some of the higher end Sidi's (Ergo 2 for example) have a heel adjustment that takes care of that.

Both have been excellent shoes for me. No hot spots in either. I would buy them both again.

pdmtong
10-01-2010, 10:46 AM
At full pop, the 6.6s and ergo-2s are hard to imagine. I can say however, that had I known the higher end models were that much better for ME in terms of fit I would have saved my money for them and not bought the G5s

I realise this is water under the bridge for you, but there is a saying the most expensive thing is the one you have to buy twice.

Avispa's deal on ergos was even stonger a few years ago, so that is the only way I was able to get my pair. it is a lot of money. my riding pal bought his 6.6s (white/chrome) this year in the spring from PBK for $240....so there are still optys to get the price down. I got my G5s from REI online for $99 on a blowout one year, like I said....there are deals......

endosch2
10-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I just bought a pair of 5.5 Sidis - they are excellent. I was in a Shimano shoe before and I am really pleased with the precise fit of the Sidis. The insoles need replacing because they are pretty much useless, but beyond that they fit so much better than the Shimano shoes I had. Obviously this is all so subjective, but I regret not buying them earlier and riding the others for so long.

tuxbailey
10-01-2010, 12:27 PM
At full pop, the 6.6s and ergo-2s are hard to imagine. I can say however, that had I known the higher end models were that much better for ME in terms of fit I would have saved my money for them and not bought the G5s

I realise this is water under the bridge for you, but there is a saying the most expensive thing is the one you have to buy twice.

Avispa's deal on ergos was even stonger a few years ago, so that is the only way I was able to get my pair. it is a lot of money. my riding pal bought his 6.6s (white/chrome) this year in the spring from PBK for $240....so there are still optys to get the price down. I got my G5s from REI online for $99 on a blowout one year, like I said....there are deals......

Haha. Water is not under the bridge yet. The seller made a mistake on the shoe size and it was too long (45 vs. 44.) It was brand new. I tried and the Mega fit the front of my foot so well that I will now have to keep an eye on Avispa's deal. The tip of the shoes were a little over half an inch from my big toe so I need to think whether 44.5 or 44 will be better fit. I wear 10.5 US.

I now have to keep an eye on those REI deals too.

jlwdm
10-01-2010, 04:26 PM
...The tip of the shoes were a little over half an inch from my big toe so I need to think whether 44.5 or 44 will be better fit. I wear 10.5 US...

Verify this but it is my understanding that the Sidi .5 sizes are the same length as the full size but the .5 size has more volume. At least that was true in the 46 and 46.5.

Jeff

swimmingskibble
10-03-2010, 10:25 PM
I personally really like G5's. Tried many other brands, but these seem to fit my feet the best. I just replaced the potato chip insoles with some new inserts, and they are great. I really think that the right shoe for someone, is the one that fits the best. Support your LBS and try on a bunch. Money well spent vs. trying to get a set of the www without trying them on first.

tuxbailey
10-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Verify this but it is my understanding that the Sidi .5 sizes are the same length as the full size but the .5 size has more volume. At least that was true in the 46 and 46.5.

Jeff

Length wise I think 44 is fine. At least the 44 in my Specialized Pro Carbon is ok length wise but the toe box area does become tighter the longer the ride is; so maybe 44.5 is the ticket.

A forum member is hooking me up with a pair of new Ergo 2 44.5 so maybe that will be my shoes for a while if they fit :D