PDA

View Full Version : Seatpost sleeve issue, help needed.

tuscanyswe
09-30-2010, 02:43 PM
So in my latest frame theres a sleeve inside the seattube to make it a 27.2 dia. This sleeve from the looks of it should be permenent in the frame.

Now however when i was about to adjust me seatpost abit it comes out of the frame and is impossible to move from the current possition on the seatpost its now attached to.

Any ideas how to get the sleeve of the post so i can adjust the seatpost?
Now the sleeve extends a good cm in the possition i want it in and i somehow dont think it was designed to be clamped in this possition :)

Thanks!
B

torquer
09-30-2010, 02:52 PM
What material is the post?
Assume the sleeve is aluminum, right?

AndrewS
09-30-2010, 02:56 PM
That's a material defect. Warranty the frame.

tuscanyswe
09-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Its a used frame so i doubt very much the warrenty will come in to play..

The sleeve actually looks to be carbon unless the glue residue (if thats how its attached) look alot like plastic.

The seatpost is carbon yes.

Peter P.
09-30-2010, 07:24 PM
I'd spray the area with an entire can of freeze spray. Hopefully, if the seat tube and sleeve are dissimilar materials, their rates of contraction will differ and break the bond enough to allow easy removal of the sleeve.

Then consult the manufacturer on a good way to reinstall the sleeve.

Radio Shack should have freeze spray or you may be able to order it from any Loctite distributor; Loctite has a new freeze spray type product available.

tuscanyswe
09-30-2010, 08:01 PM
dissimilar materials?
Sry english not my native language. Would different thickness carbon apply to dissimilar?

Its worth a try, Thanks!

Hopefully IF will send me a new sleeve that i can have a shop put in. If not i have to dissemble the frame i put together 3 days ago and ship it to the states and then back. They also recommend me not to use it untill the issue is resolved even at the current seatpost height.

Darn.

oliver1850
09-30-2010, 09:05 PM

fogrider
09-30-2010, 11:19 PM
So in my latest frame theres a sleeve inside the seattube to make it a 27.2 dia. This sleeve from the looks of it should be permenent in the frame.

Now however when i was about to adjust me seatpost abit it comes out of the frame and is impossible to move from the current possition on the seatpost its now attached to.

Any ideas how to get the sleeve of the post so i can adjust the seatpost?
Now the sleeve extends a good cm in the possition i want it in and i somehow dont think it was designed to be clamped in this possition :)

Thanks!
B

very odd that a high end frame is designed with a sleeve for the seatpost. if you're using a carbon post, you should be using something like this:
http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/DisplayStyle/801108?mr:trackingCode=9B7E556F-3916-DF11-9B13-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&avad=4261_be925d5&cm_mmc=AL-_-3510-_-4261-_-datafeed

tuscanyswe
10-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Pure speculation on my part but im guess that the 953 steel in this frame is the reason for the sleeve. Maybe it isent made in smaller dimensions or possibly not strong enough for forces around seatpost in smaller dias as its very thin and they choose a larger dia with a sleeve for this application?

tuscanyswe
10-01-2010, 04:14 PM
If shipping me a a new sleeve with instructions to put it in as i did not want to send the frame back and forth.

Shipping ups on monday for a speedy delivery.

Ive always had such good experiences with the guys at IF. A+