PDA

View Full Version : freuler

coylifut
04-21-2005, 11:05 AM
occasionally, but not often, I see this term used in reference to frame design. what's it mean.

saab2000
04-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Urs Freuler is a former Swiss professional who sort of pioneered the extended head tube. Though I don't think it was quite so much an extended head tube as it was a lowered top tube. I think Colnago has adapted the name for their larger frames.

I don't know how much Urs Freuler had to do with it, but he was one of the first riders with that style bike. Edwig Von Hooydonck also rode such a frame.

They were both tall riders.

mad_mark
04-21-2005, 11:19 AM
occasionally, but not often, I see this term used in reference to frame design. what's it mean.

Urs Freuler was one tall dude. As a pro, Colnago and other frame builders who supplied teams he rode for used to make him frames with "dropped" top tubes (so the frames had longer head tubes and steat tubes then the center to center measurement of the seat tube would suggest). This was to make the frame stiffer for a given size then it normally would with more top tube clearance (don't think this was an issue for him though!).

If you look at a Pegoretti (among others) you'll see the same effect, used to give more height to threadless stem systems.

Mark.

saab2000
04-21-2005, 11:24 AM
FWIW, shortly before I left Switzerland in 2003 I saw Urs Freuler out for a ride. He comes from Glarus, about 50 km from where I used to live. As he was working for Phonak at the time, he was kitted out in Phonak clothing and riding one of their BMC bikes. He is about 45 but looks like he could jump into a race tomorrow. Still looks trim and fit, and his trademark mustache was still in place. He is one of the rare riders who looks proper with facial hair.