PDA

View Full Version : Riding near Clarksville MD

jblande
09-30-2010, 06:18 AM
I know a few of the prominent board members are from suburban Maryland, and I have a question for you. My parents just moved to Clarksville, which I gather is somewhere near Columbia. I am flying to the area on Saturday to spend a bit less than a week with them, before heading on to Chicago and then back to Zurich. My understanding of Columbia is that it is a car-dominated, planned neighborhood suburbia. Does that mean that I should leave my bike at home? Or do I have decent access to places I can peacefully ride without great personal danger? I have a bike with Couplers, so cost would not be the inhibiting factor.

rugbysecondrow
09-30-2010, 06:24 AM
Bring the bike and give me a call...we can hit up a nice ride. I have ridden through Clarksville quite a few times and it is really a rural area (Columbia for congested, but Clarksville is not), so you will have some good spots. I am also not sure where you are used to riding or what your speed is, but Ellicott City is a fun place to ride with some hills, and early 1800's mill town, nice river ride and some rollers to boot. Pretty much any type of riding you want to do can be done.

PM me if you would like to meet up, but I would recommend bringing your bike.

Cheers

jblande
09-30-2010, 06:34 AM
sounds great, ruby. thanks for the encouragement. i will be in touch by pm after i arrive and get my bearings (ie an impression what the parents expect of me).

regards, joel

rugbysecondrow
09-30-2010, 06:36 AM
No worries, Sunday and Monday work well for me, just let me know.

Cheers

:beer:

avalonracing
09-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Clarksville isn't Switzerland but you'll find some nice rides there. We are having some "End of the world" rain today but the weekend looks to be mid 60ºFs and sunny.

zap
09-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Great riding just west/nw/n of Clarksville. Shepard Lane, Folly Quarter, Tridelphia, Ten Oaks, Linthicum are all close and then just head further out from those roads for longer rides.

Nice flat to rolling terrain with great views of the MD countryside.

rugbysecondrow
09-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Zap, that is where I often ride, it is beautiful out there.

palincss
09-30-2010, 10:32 AM
If you go on ridewithgps.com and search for rides near Clarksville MD you will find plenty.
I imagine that would be true of bikely.com and mapmyride as well.

Dekonick
09-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Plenty of really nice roads in Clarksville. My favorite area to ride remains Ellicott City, but the rolling hills in western Howard County offer mile after mile of country road.

Enjoy the stay!

Dek.

Oh, as far as Ellicott City, after a rain like we are supposed to get the roads are fairly trashed. It tends to flood and wash out the lower roads that run parallel to the Paptasco river. Hopefully they will be passable when you arrive because the historic town and the hills are nice to ride.

tuxbailey
09-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Oh, as far as Ellicott City, after a rain like we are supposed to get the roads are fairly trashed. It tends to flood and wash out the lower roads that run parallel to the Paptasco river. Hopefully they will be passable when you arrive because the historic town and the hills are nice to ride.

Do you just ride through Main street? Currently most of my riding are commuting miles due to busy weekend schedules. But if I managed to get out I usually ride in the Columbia/Clarksville area. It would be nice to explore other local options.

johnnymossville
09-30-2010, 01:01 PM
I do quite a bit of riding north and west of clarksville and there's a lot of good riding out that way. I don't think you'll be disappointed, provided this weather turns around, it's terrible out there right now.

rugbysecondrow
09-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Do you just ride through Main street? Currently most of my riding are commuting miles due to busy weekend schedules. But if I managed to get out I usually ride in the Columbia/Clarksville area. It would be nice to explore other local options.

Yep, Mike and I go through Frederick, Church, Thistle, Hilltop, College, Bonnie Branch, Oella, River Road....all over around there. Really great, beautiful and challenging riding. Come on out!

avalonracing
09-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Yep, Mike and I go through Frederick, Church, Thistle, Hilltop, College, Bonnie Branch, Oella, River Road....all over around there. Really great, beautiful and challenging riding. Come on out!

Right out my door. Keep me in the loop.

tuxbailey
09-30-2010, 03:20 PM

Absolutely, once my schedule free up a bit during the weekend I will definitely shoot you a msg.

rugbysecondrow
09-30-2010, 03:22 PM
I almost forgot cold beer at ellicott mills brewing company after a ride...good times.