PDA

View Full Version : Swapping out Campy freehub for Shimano - Will the wheel need to be re-dished?

Louis
09-30-2010, 02:04 AM
On my DeRosa I have an Open Pro rim laced to a Campy 9-spd hub. (I think Daytona, maybe Centaur) I want to use a Shimano 9-spd cassette, so I got the Campy freehub that has a Shimano-compatible spline.

A while back in a thread there was some talk that perhaps if one did this the wheel would need to be re-dished. Am I going to have issues that will require this, or is there anything else beyond what I already know I have to do, (like changing to a Shimano dérailleur and shifter)? Has anyone out there tried this recently?

TIA
Louis

gone
09-30-2010, 04:09 AM
*deleted*

Peter P.
09-30-2010, 05:49 AM
It shouldn't need to be redished because dishing centers the wheel between the dropouts, and any offset is relative to the hub flanges. The cassette has no effect on dishing unless the kit comes with spacers to shift axle spacing around.

oldpotatoe
09-30-2010, 07:45 AM
On my DeRosa I have an Open Pro rim laced to a Campy 9-spd hub. (I think Daytona, maybe Centaur) I want to use a Shimano 9-spd cassette, so I got the Campy freehub that has a Shimano-compatible spline.

A while back in a thread there was some talk that perhaps if one did this the wheel would need to be re-dished. Am I going to have issues that will require this, or is there anything else beyond what I already know I have to do, (like changing to a Shimano dérailleur and shifter)? Has anyone out there tried this recently?

TIA
Louis

I have done this conversion a few times and the wheel did not need to be redished.

Louis
09-30-2010, 12:52 PM
It shouldn't need to be redished because dishing centers the wheel between the dropouts, and any offset is relative to the hub flanges. The cassette has no effect on dishing unless the kit comes with spacers to shift axle spacing around.

This is what I thought, but I'm no sex-change expert.

I'll try just changing the freehub and we'll see what happens.

Thanks guys.

Louis

aaronf
09-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Agree with oldpotatoe; no dishing necessary. Just install the new freehub and you're done.