PDA

View Full Version : Pez, do you ever pinch yerself?

bobswire
09-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Just about everyday I'll gaze at my 3 yr old Serotta CDA or 7 yr old Seven Axiom and marvel at the beauty and ride they both offer me.

What is it like being Pez with all those wonderful machines at your disposal? If I'm not being too personal.

BTW this is a serious question. I just wondered how you ended up doing this gig.

Whatever the case it's pretty cool.
20 years ago I would never have thought I'd be enamored with bikes and cycling as I am (24/7). It's almost like a religion with me.

Dekonick
09-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Not Pez, BUT

IMHO he has the best job on earth... until he finds the best pair of bibs, shoes, bike, saddle, brifters, wheels, handleBRA, because - once he has... he has to ride crap and write about it while dreaming and wishing he was on a Hors Categorie... or perhaps a Bedford...

:p

I am just jealous!

kong79
09-29-2010, 10:45 PM
And suddenly, there she was.
l was captivated, entranced. lt hit me like a thunderbolt.
l had to asked this guy to pinch me to make sure l wasn't dreaming.
l was afraid to approach her,
but that night, fate was on my side.

Sorry, couldn't resist, quotes from one of my favorite movies that was just on tv last weekend.

Ahneida Ride
09-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Pez Love his bikes cause they are all HB equipped ! :beer: ;)

Charles M
09-30-2010, 03:56 PM
lol,

including the BMC SLR one off edition with Madfiber wheels that just showed up (with world champs Bra strapped on).:D

Simply put, I don't deserve to do what I do... And no f***ing way I'm giving out details on how to get the gig! There are a lot other people that are less-un-worthy than I am and I dont want to get replaced.

As for riding sub-best kit, that doesnt really happen very much... Nobody sends things for testing unless they're 1105 sure about the products quality, so even the relatively less than tp top stuff is still top of the line. That's part of the answer as to why you dont read many bad reviews... There's not very many companies that send a POS to go public to a pretty big crowd.

I have a day job that pays the bills OK and that's the other nice side if this. I pretty much do what I want because Pez doesn't pay me at all (I flew myself to Interbike last week). So I really only have to mess with things I like. I think to some degree it's better than having this as a full time gig...

What ever the case, it's nice when the bike related things I complain about are usually problems a lot of people would like to have... Saying that I really appreciate the situation I have is an understatement. I'm just a fan of the sport and the stuff and really value the friends and opportunities that come my way...

Smiley
09-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Pez may have the Job but Jack Brunk comes awfully close to living the life :banana:

'cept he don't keep the bikes just recycles them back to the pee'ons whom are size 56 worthy :banana:

GuyGadois
09-30-2010, 05:41 PM
IMHO he has the best job on earth...

Really? Pez, I am sure your job is cool but it doesn't come with the perks other jobs offer...

http://woodenspears.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Hugh-Hefner.jpg

bobswire
09-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Really? Pez, I am sure your job is cool but it doesn't come with the perks other jobs offer...

Hey someone already started a thread, "How do you old guys do it" and I'm sure Hef would agree with me, "the same way you young guys do it".
Having said that I'll take Pez life over Hefs. :banana:

Now you really got my respect Pez (pay your own way). You da man or should I say, We're not worthy.

rugbysecondrow
09-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Bikes or babes

Bikes or babes

Bikes or babes

Sorry fellas, babes everyday of the week, and 3 times on Sunday. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Charles M
09-30-2010, 10:42 PM

At times it can.

The girls that want to talk about tube size versus stiffness and fatigue life and vibe damping can sometimes suprise you...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/trynotnottothinkaboutit.jpg

Another way to think about it is that Haf can have any bike he wants along with the other things he gets to ride...

And Brunk and a few others have lots of friends in their size rolling nice... The ratio of nice bikes in 53-54 around north Phoenix is pretty high too.

I've actually shipped stuff all over the place though and donated to junior teams. I try and do the right thing, but really only after I've been selfish till it hurts....

RADaines
10-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Personally, at the end of the day, I'd rather have the Cyfac over the girls. Much less trouble.

jeo99
10-01-2010, 09:39 AM
+1 and a lot cheaper too!

:beer:

Charles M
10-01-2010, 06:34 PM
I would guess the Cyfac handles better with far less maintenance too...

I just got remined of my job in College though. I was a ref for the California Hard Bodies Hot Oil Wrestling team too. Not as good as Hef's gig, but at the time, it was a really good way to put myself through a couple years of school...

67-59
10-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Personally, at the end of the day, I'd rather have the Cyfac over the girls. Much less trouble.

Ahhh, but when Hef gets tired of one of the girls, he just gets another.... :banana:

bobswire
10-01-2010, 08:48 PM
I would guess the Cyfac handles better with far less maintenance too...

I just got remined of my job in College though. I was a ref for the California Hard Bodies Hot Oil Wrestling team too. Not as good as Hef's gig, but at the time, it was a really good way to put myself through a couple years of school...

I'll one up you Pez, I was the back door man at the Old Fillmore back in the day. 1968-72 which means the Groupies had to go through me first.
I only made $2.00 an hour back then but the perks made it worthwhile.

My brother and I both work for Graham up until the Fillmore closed in '72 after which I went to live on a commune, my brother stayed and eventually became manager for Santana.

That's me with the "Love Beads" and my brother Ray.
The poster was made up for Ray when he retired from BGP. The reason for hamburger was Ray started out there as a short order cook.

Charles M
10-01-2010, 09:44 PM
I did a bunch of remodel to the filmore!

I remember taking a wall out to find it was a build over... The wall it covered had old show posters all over it and we cut it out complete. That was one of my favorite jobs ever... I was born in sf.

For a second I was thinking you were going to say you worked for the Mitchel Brothers.

I Want Sachs?
10-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Another way to think about it is that Haf can have any bike he wants along with the other things he gets to ride...

Haf can get all the customized sex rides he desires, but Haf can't get customized Sachs rides. :)

bobswire
10-01-2010, 10:09 PM
I did a bunch of remodel to the filmore!

I remember taking a wall out to find it was a build over... The wall it covered had old show posters all over it and we cut it out complete. That was one of my favorite jobs ever... I was born in sf.

For a second I was thinking you were going to say you worked for the Mitchel Brothers.

Was the wall at the Fillmore on Geary & Fillmore st.
or the one when it moved to Market &VanNess (Carousel Ballroom)?

I did the backstage paintings at the Fillmore on Market. They were huge
blow ups of local bands like Jefferson Airplane, Janis and Big Brother Holding Co., Quicksilver etc...

BTW a few us us would sometimes stop by the Mitchell Brothers after work.
Those were the daze..

Charles M
10-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I've seen that wall!

Fillmore and Geary was the place I worked on. It was a lot of the earth quake damage so the place basically got gutted and re built. I remember another section of wall and posters going in an auction at a park concert for a few thousand bucks... It was really neat.

Al ot of what was found is on display there still

I was at the pre open with smashing pumpkins. a lot of fun.

rounder
10-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Pez, you were a Filmore guy? Grateful Dead, Band, etc. Just wondering, but a lot of my favorite bands played there.

dana_e
10-03-2010, 06:06 PM
this is awesome

pez is fun and the race coverage is really good, lots of passion