PDA

View Full Version : Hot Tubes Visit /Repair

beungood
09-28-2010, 11:53 PM
After a friend of mine and his steel framed Lemond Criox De Fur had a railroad crossing related incident he wound up with the right chain stay bent inward toward the wheel and a bent derailiuer hanger. The LBS said the only place he would take it to would be Hot Tubes . We took a ride out to his new shop in Shirley Mass.

My friend texted him pictures of the damage and was told it looked easy to fix. We arrived up there sometime close to 5 and was greeted by the Owner/builder Toby Stanton. I had my doubts as this thing was really bent. Not only did he fix the bike ,but he gave us a small class on the finer points of bike repair and building. In short order the stay was repaired, and he even trued up the rear wheel and the bent hanger.

His wife also gave us some new Hot Tubes water bottles. She went on to tell us they also have a one on one frame building class that you build your own rig from start to finish. We then peppered him with questions on custom frame building and he took the time to explain all the parameters in building the bike and the many questions he asks in getting a spot on fit and a bike that tracks well. He also showed as an array of different paint jobs on complated bikes. Unreal talent with an airbrush in addition to torches! I'm thinking it might be time for a Custom frame ..

My friend was so impressed with the customer service he now wants to order a new bike from him also.

William
09-29-2010, 04:06 AM
Toby is the real deal. You met him when you and I went to pick up the Effin Cross Bike from Zank a few years back. I would not hesitate in the least to work with him at all on paint or a custom build.

Hot Tubes rocks!

William

MMcG
09-29-2010, 07:57 AM
I've heard nothing but great stuff about Hot Tubes. I need to pay a visit there sometime - sounds like it would be worth the drive from CT to MA to do so. :cool:

beungood
09-29-2010, 02:38 PM
I agree, He is too bike what william is to Martial Arts, total professional that CANT articulate a point and have you understanding in short order. really impressive to see him at work and how quickly he looked at the frame grabbed the appropriate tools and used KNOWLEDGE to repair it. That frame building class sounds fun too. His cycling team is a 501 3c Not for profit also. Real deal up there.

mike p
09-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Well, where the hell are the pic's?

Mike

Louis
09-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Well, where the hell are the pic's?

Mike

Before and after.

beungood
10-04-2010, 05:30 PM
I can't beleive I forgot them. I'll get my buddy to send them and I will upload them.

thwart
10-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Always good to hear about someone in cycling who is obviously doing a labor of love.

And it sounds like he does it damn well, too.