PDA

View Full Version : HED c2 users - silly question

vqdriver
09-28-2010, 05:43 PM
i'm about to pull the trigger on these rims, and have a silly question.
how is it different running 23c tires on a c2 rims vs just using 25c tires?
i'm talking from a strictly ride quality perspective.

Bruce K
09-28-2010, 05:49 PM
No idea vs 25mm tires but vs "old style" rims there is a much improved road feel, handling, and tire life.

BK

dave thompson
09-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Kind of hard to say in a 'direct' way. I've used 25s on my bikes for years for the chip seal comfort factor and simply because the bigger tires with lower pressure don't wear as fast. As far as handling, IMO the bike feels better and corners better because of more rubber on the ground. Less 'fall off' when the bike is really leaned over, the tire profile is more of a gradual curve than when on a 19MM rim.

I've run 23MM tires on my C2 HEDs and 25s and I really like the way the 'new' 25s feel on the HED rims.

dnades
09-28-2010, 06:37 PM
You'll get better cornering as there is less overlap from your rim to tire. When I first got my ardennes there were so many other differences (coming from a cxp33 rim/king hub wheelset) that you'd be hard pressed to nail it all down to the rim width. It certainly feels better going into a corner though. I'd have to agree with Dave's observations. I run 25's on them for the comfort factor and they spin up real fast a very responsive wheel. I also built up some A23's by velocity with a more traditional build (butted spokes vs. bladed and more of them on DA hubs) and they are more comfortable but not as responsive. They don't spin up as quick and feel 'softer' using the same tires. I am not sure if it feels this way due to the spoke count or due to the rim differences (scandium/welded for the ardennes vs. aluminum/not welded for the A23).

A note on the scandium rims and your brake pads - use kool stop pads. They are softer but don't pick up the aluminum like dura ace pads do.

blschaefer1
09-29-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm currently running 25mm Vittoria Open Corsa EVO's on my HED C2's and simply love the ride. Ran 23mm GP4000s prior, so that is my only other data point on the C2's. I'm sure the Vittoria's would run smoother in any size, but the 25mm really feel nice - much more smooth and 'lively' for lack of a better term. Running them at about 82psi. I really notice the difference when descending - holds the line much better.

Ken Robb
09-29-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm currently running 25mm Vittoria Open Corsa EVO's on my HED C2's and simply love the ride. Ran 23mm GP4000s prior, so that is my only other data point on the C2's. I'm sure the Vittoria's would run smoother in any size, but the 25mm really feel nice - much more smooth and 'lively' for lack of a better term. Running them at about 82psi. I really notice the difference when descending - holds the line much better.

Do you mean you are skidding the 23s but not the 25s (more traction) or you really like the slight increase in trail due to the larger tires?

blschaefer1
09-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Do you mean you are skidding the 23s but not the 25s (more traction) or you really like the slight increase in trail due to the larger tires?

Not skidding, and I'm not sure I would notice the slight increase in trail. The 25mm Vittoria's just seem to roll smoother, and when descending this is even more noticeable due to the higher speed, and therefore install more confidence. Tough to put into words.....