PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I'm asking this . . . .

false_Aest
09-28-2010, 01:44 PM
tyres.

I need a balance between the grippyness of Pro 3s and the durability of a commuting tyre.

At 1200-1500 miles per rear tyre (or 4 cents a mile), Pro 3s are out for the off season.

I know about GP4000S but what else is out there.

veggieburger
09-28-2010, 01:46 PM
This might be a little too commutie for you, but the Panaracer Paselas are quite nice. The weight is over 300 grams, but they ride nice in wet and dry weather.

bike22
09-28-2010, 01:46 PM
gatorskins?
continental grand prix 4season?

AngryScientist
09-28-2010, 01:48 PM
vittoria diamante or rubino, both excellent tires. rubino's are a little tougher, diamantes are more on the plush side, both rock.

mister
09-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Get Armadillo's.

malcolm
09-28-2010, 02:11 PM
I like gatorskins. Some folks knock the ride but I guess I'm not that sensitive. They last a long time and are very puncture resistent.

MattTuck
09-28-2010, 02:15 PM
I'll second the gatorskins comment, at great risk of puncture on my next ride.

If you can do a 25 or larger, I've heard that it helps to smooth out the ride a bit. I'm 23s and it can be harsh at higher pressure.

FYI, me + bike is about 235, and I tend to ride front at 95-100, and back at 100-110 PSI. Much over that, and it can get uncomfortable.

edit: almost missed the opportunity to use an appropriate forum meme. YMMV.

Louis
09-28-2010, 03:04 PM
tyres.

I need a balance between the grippyness of Pro 3s and the durability of a commuting tyre.

At 1200-1500 miles per rear tyre (or 4 cents a mile), Pro 3s are out for the off season.

I've found your problem. Try the Pro 3 tires instead.

The American version lasts much longer than the British version.

Benjamin
09-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I've been commuting on gatorskin 28s for a while now. I'm pretty happy with them, they're a good combination of durable, comfy, and roll reasonably fast for their size.

derosa_guy
09-28-2010, 03:09 PM
These tires are still "race tires" but you'll get better life out of them, 3k front, 2k rear. Not quite as nice a ride as the Pro3's, but better then most. I usually ride the Pro3's at 105 PSI, and the Vredestein's at 110 PSI. Ignore the 120 PSI minimum rating on the Vredestein sidewalls. At 120 they are way, way too firm for my 170lbs.

ergott
09-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Tufo Elite ride 25mm tubulars @ 85psi. Durable tire and lower pressure makes them ride nice. Don't have tubular rims, that's something you need to work on.

That's my answer and I'm sticking to it.

false_Aest
09-28-2010, 03:14 PM
These tires are still "race tires" but you'll get better life out of them, 3k front, 2k rear. Not quite as nice a ride as the Pro3's, but better then most. I usually ride the Pro3's at 105 PSI, and the Vredestein's at 110 PSI. Ignore the 120 PSI minimum rating on the Vredestein sidewalls. At 120 they are way, way too firm for my 170lbs.

Any thoughts as to how these rock on corners and tight twisty descents?

false_Aest
09-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Tufo Elite ride 25mm tubulars @ 85psi. Durable tire and lower pressure makes them ride nice. Don't have tubular rims, that's something you need to work on.

That's my answer and I'm sticking to it.

Eric,

I should've asked you when I was about to build up new hoops.

PS. Thanks for all the info on the build.

Ralph
09-28-2010, 03:17 PM
I use Conti Gator Skins in 700X25 on my daily rider. They don't seem to ever wear out, just rotated a pair front to back. They don't flat easily either. I also run them at about 85 and 95. Ride not so bad. I weigh 160, and see no need to run them hard.

I'm still using up some 700X23 PR 2's on my Sunday bike, they sure ride nice.

But thinking about going to Michelin Krylioms for all my wheels. I just like how the Michelins mount. I imagine they are basically a thicker tread version of the PR's.

palincss
09-28-2010, 03:18 PM
If you like Michelins, they make a very durable training tire. It used to be called the Axial Carbon (and it's the only tire I've ever gotten 5,000 miles out of -- replaced the last one when I finally got tired of worrying about whether it needed replacement, found it still had lots of tread left) and now is called Ksyrium.

ergott
09-28-2010, 03:23 PM
If you like Michelins, they make a very durable training tire. It used to be called the Axial Carbon (and it's the only tire I've ever gotten 5,000 miles out of -- replaced the last one when I finally got tired of worrying about whether it needed replacement, found it still had lots of tread left) and now is called Ksyrium.

I guess if you have to have clinchers. :rolleyes:

I've only read great things about the Carbons and they are even race worthy. Good mileage and last a long time.

to False,

Your welcome.

Love helping out people building their own wheels.

GregL
09-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Michelin Krylions (http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/michelinbicycle/index.cfm?event=krylion.view). Definitely good enough to race, yet reliable enough for everyday riding. I consistently wear mine down to the chord before replacing them. Rears last 3K+ miles under my 175 lbs. Fronts last indefinitely. Available in 700 x 25.

-Greg

palincss
09-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Oops - Krylion is what I meant. I guess the other is a wheel. Sorry: a brain fart coupled with the online version of a spell-checker error.

alexstar
09-28-2010, 03:48 PM
+1 for the Michelin Krylion Carbon - lasts forever, tough as nails and still rides reasonably well :beer:

derosa_guy
09-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Any thoughts as to how these rock on corners and tight twisty descents?

They corner really well; I raced my fair share of crits on them last spring with no problems. The Pro3's, just have a better feel to them, much closer to a tubie. The Pro3's and the Victoria's IMO are the best of the clinchers ride wise, but both wear out really fast. The tricomps are one step down ride wise, but don't wear out as fast.

I've also extensively ridden the Victoria Rubino Pros and they last forever. Unfortunately they have a hard ride compared to the racing clinchers. If these are for a bike that will be going on and off rollers, the Rubinos will hold up. I also think these run narrow.

Ken Robb
09-28-2010, 04:45 PM
I like UltraGatorskins, hated the HARSH ride of Armadillos of 5 years ago and have never tried again. Ruffy-tuffys from Riv are great for me. Now-don't laugh- some of the Performance non-folders are ok in the fatter sizes on my Allrounder and when on sale they are $13. They come with and without Kevlar belts.

false_Aest
09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
I guess I should mention that I can't fit anything wider than a 23 on my bike.

54ny77
09-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Ultra Gatorskins.

A tad heavy, but I've got bigger issues to worry about than tire suppleness.

Have raced & trained on 'em over the years plenty.

Can be found every so often at very good prices online, both foreign & domestic.

Fivethumbs
09-29-2010, 12:42 AM
The Lithion 2 is a good tire.

Blue Jays
09-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Vredestein Fortezza TriComps are my regular go-to clincher tires.
When not using them, I also opt for durable Continental GP 4000s tires.
Both are sufficiently supple while offering plenty of durability.

endosch2
09-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Ditto on Axial Carbons - they are a great tyre or tire.

John M
09-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Try Schwalbe Duranoss. They ride well, last long, and are easy to mount. No wrestling onto the rim like continentals. My experience is that the Schwalbes are also excellent wet weather tires. The Michelin Lithion and Vittoria Rubino both last a long time, but in my experience they are definitely not as 'grippy' as the Schwalbe, especially the Rubino Pro, which is very sketchy on wet pavement.

I have done over 4K miles commuting in Seattle on their predecessor (Schwalbe Stelvio) and have had zero puncture flats.

Lifelover
09-29-2010, 09:44 AM
NOS 25 PR2's. I bought a few in the group buy a while back and wish I had gotten more.

fiamme red
09-29-2010, 10:02 AM
NOS 25 PR2's. I bought a few in the group buy a while back and wish I had gotten more.I was in the group buy too. I really like them. Sorry I only got one pair. :crap:

false_Aest
09-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Whats the diff between Pro3 and Pro2?

Pro3 grippier?
Pro2 lasts longer?

Nelson99
09-29-2010, 11:03 AM
I commute on a Vredestein Fortezza in the rear, with a Vittoria Diamante Pro up front. The Fortezza is smooth, durable, and fast, but doesn't give the feel or cornering of the Diamante. I would toast a Diamante in the rear in no time, but up front they last me a long, long time. I realize some folks don't like mixing tires, but in my mind they play such different roles and suffer such different forces that they have very different optimal characteristics best addressed by different tires... just my two cents.

false_Aest
09-29-2010, 11:26 AM
I commute on a Vredestein Fortezza in the rear, with a Vittoria Diamante Pro up front. The Fortezza is smooth, durable, and fast, but doesn't give the feel or cornering of the Diamante. I would toast a Diamante in the rear in no time, but up front they last me a long, long time. I realize some folks don't like mixing tires, but in my mind they play such different roles and suffer such different forces that they have very different optimal characteristics best addressed by different tires... just my two cents.

Oooh, I like this option. Used to do similar stuff when racing mtb. Grippy up front and semi-slick on the rear. Makes sense.

Lifelover
09-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Whats the diff between Pro3 and Pro2?

Pro3 grippier?
Pro2 lasts longer?

I really don't know the difference and have never used PR3's. I just don't recall all the complaints about short live span with the 2's. I've used some for well over 3-5K.

djg
09-29-2010, 12:20 PM
So . . . we're on clinchers. Never thought the Michelins had the best grip, although they're fine. Nice ride for a clincher, but not what I'd call especially sticky.

The GP4000S doesn't have that nice supple feel, but I think it's a well made tire -- round and true -- that wears better and grips better than the Michelin -- subjective, and just my own opinion, but there ya go. It's available in a 25 as well.

For tubulars, I've had decent luck with the Vittoria Evo Pave in a 24, which makes me wonder whether the clinicher version might fit your bill. Also, the Conti Comp Pro-tec, but I'm not sure there's a clincher version of that.

Keith A
09-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Oooh, I like this option. Used to do similar stuff when racing mtb. Grippy up front and semi-slick on the rear. Makes sense.I've done the same on one my bikes, except I'm using Michelin's with a PR3 up front and the Krylion in the back and it has worked out nicely.

jblande
09-29-2010, 02:31 PM
hey fa, how much are you paying for mich pro 3's?

kgreene10
09-29-2010, 02:32 PM
At 1500 miles, my ProRace 3s cost me 2.3 cents per mile. Get them at PBK for $35 and no tax or shipping cost. Not an advertisement, just sayin'

false_Aest
09-29-2010, 02:40 PM
hey fa, how much are you paying for mich pro 3's?

Eh, somewhere between $75-85 a pair.

This last tire though, went real fast like. Maybe 1100 miles at most. I'm thinking the hot-hot pavement made it wear faster. (I've since tried to ride on the painted white lines :P )

jblande
09-29-2010, 02:59 PM
i suggest finding a cheaper source. i know that pbk or bike24.com will ship to us.

treat your tires with a solution of vinegar and water. should help the tread last a bit longer. i learned this on one of the tubular threads, and have been doing it with both my expensive tubulars and the 19€ pro race 3s i buy from this site (http://www.velo-motion.com)

if all else fails, let me know, i can bring you a big box of them in december when i am in los angeles.

cycling.james
10-01-2010, 11:09 AM
I've been interested in the Pro Race 3 myself. Anyone have a measurement of how wide the 25mm are mounted? I know the pro race 2 25mm were supposed to measure around 27mm. Is that the case with the new version as well?