PDA

View Full Version : Breezer drop outs?

AndrewS
09-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Reading up on these, I have heard that they are:

1. Stronger. Are normal dropouts not strong enough, or is it a strength to weight issue?

2. Easier to weld to. The curved shape offers endless angle possibilities so the builder doesn't have to make have more than one dropout for his line.

The first time I saw one I thought "That looks like it would get in the way." Since, their look has grown on me. Do you see them as a plus, or just style?

fiamme red
09-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Can you use a trainer on a bike with Breezer dropouts?

Steve in SLO
09-28-2010, 11:19 AM
I like the look of them, but with some QRs they make placing the lever between the cs and ss an impossibility.

buck-50
09-28-2010, 11:24 AM
If you ever want to pull a burley or chariot kid trailer, they kinda suck.

The bikes I've had with them, I found quick releases to be a PITA. Not impossible, not even that difficult, just different than all my other bikes and every bike I've used before and therefore more likely to piss me off when I'm tired and trying to fix a flat in the rain.

When I had my custom built, I asked my builder about them and he said they were harder to work with. But that's just one builder's opinion.

As for strength, the only part of a dropout I've ever bent is the derailleur hanger, and the only way I know to make those stronger is to eliminate them ala saint or just make them replaceable...

AFS
09-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Can you use a trainer on a bike with Breezer dropouts?

My bike with wright/breezer dropouts fits on a computrainer, but you need to be careful to avoid paint chips.

avalonracing
09-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Depends on the trainer. My wife has a beautiful Strong with Breezer dropouts and both of the trainers in our house would make short work of that paint.

pbjbike
09-28-2010, 07:13 PM
They look great, and probably are stronger, (not that anyone could tell the differnce). I`ll pick nuber 3, STYLE. If you ever need a wheel change in a race on a bike with these dropouts, be prepared for a lot of swearing from neutral support...

AndrewS
09-28-2010, 07:20 PM
I talked to someone after posting this who said that they are much easier to work with for ti, anyway. Enclosing the end of the stay to go with billet dropouts presents more difficulty.