PDA

View Full Version : $200 charge for a bike on Delta????

noonan1970
09-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Wow! Just called Delta and found out it cost $200 to send a bike one way on a Domestic flight? Guess I'll send it Via Mail? What a rip off.

oldfatslow
09-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Good thing you figured this out before. I fly\ew out on one airline and then flew back on Delta. I paid $100 on the way out. Delta hit me for $175 on the way back. Had I known I would have sent it back via FedEx ground (usually about 70 bucks in my hard bike case). As I learned of the $175 fee only AFTER returning the rental car and draggin my gear the 1/2 mile from the rental return to the ticketing counter I had no options.

I won't fly Delta by choice.

AndrewS
09-28-2010, 10:46 AM
I could be wrong, but I think the popularity of couplers is that it makes the bike small enough to not incur oversize fees.

UPS ground a free bike box would be my choice.

crankles
09-28-2010, 10:48 AM
I need to fly delta as well...that is just nuts. $400 round trip for a 20lb box.

buck-50
09-28-2010, 11:35 AM
$400 is about 1/3- 1/4 of the cost of a bike friday...

and they check through as regular luggage.

jeo99
09-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Guys, Guys!
It's easy math to have the S-S couplers installed! I did this 7-years ago. It has more than paid for itself twice over. Contact the Bilenky guys. My frame is a 59x59 and works great. http://www.bilenky.com/Home.html

:beer:

djg
09-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Wow! Just called Delta and found out it cost $200 to send a bike one way on a Domestic flight? Guess I'll send it Via Mail? What a rip off.

Pretty effin' steep relative to commercial freight rates.

Does the bike at least get a free meal and drinks?

GregL
09-28-2010, 01:11 PM
I avoid bringing my bike on the airlines at all costs. Not only have the bike charges become ridiculous, but there is no guarantee that the TSA inspectors won't mis-pack your bike, leading to expensive damage and lost components. FedEx Ground in a hard shell bike case is the way to go.

-Greg

rice rocket
09-28-2010, 01:18 PM
I avoid bringing my bike on the airlines at all costs. Not only have the bike charges become ridiculous, but there is no guarantee that the TSA inspectors won't mis-pack your bike, leading to expensive damage and lost components. FedEx Ground in a hard shell bike case is the way to go.

-Greg
Declare a firearm. Get it inspected at TSA. Lock the case.

No more meddling in your wares.

PBWrench
09-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Per GregL, FedEx in a hard case is the way to go. If you have 4-5 days ground is cheap as long as you don't overinsure. My Trico case has more than paid fot itself after 5 years and about 15 journeys!

spacemen3
09-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Ah, the glamour of aeroplane travel. :rolleyes:

bfd
09-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah, last year when I went to Honolulu, United hit me with an "oversized" charge on my Taylor/Ritchey breakaway. The bike was broken down and in its bag/box.

I believe that charge was something like $175. Then, to top it off, they also hit me with a "second bag" charge, another $40 for a grand total of $215. For a few dollars more, I could have bought my bike a seat on the plane right next to me and got it a drink....sad!

sg8357
09-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Flew British Midlands to Blighty, bike was free.

Went to Vermont, shipped the bikes ahead.
It is good to get on the plane knowing the bikes
are already at your B&B, removes some of the
excitement of air travel.

dbrown
09-28-2010, 03:22 PM
When I was coming back from Italy last year, the Delta clerk in Pisa wanted to charge me $400 for my coupled bike in the S and S case. She said that was the fee for a bike on an international flight, regardless of the size or weight. I was ready to take a picture of the case to prove later that it was not oversized when she "let" me check it without the fee. My round trip ticket from Indianapolis to Pisa had been only $85 more than what she said it would be one way for the bike ($485).

dimsy
09-28-2010, 06:01 PM
shipping bikes to your destination is all fine and dandy for domestic (usa) flights, but anything overseas would require you to bring it along with you, as you have to deal with astronomical cost of shipping overseas and possible tariffs/customs fees. what a pain.

i once flew to south dakota, and wondered how much people were charged for bringing their firearms (fairly long cases) or duct taped coolers full of pheasant.

54ny77
09-28-2010, 06:13 PM
seemingly not so long ago i used to bend the truth a bit and say my bike case was full of business presentation materials--posters, boards, easels, that sort of thing. nowadays, i'm too chicken to say such things. the travelin' world is a different place. no idea what the consequences are of getting yer bluff called by a brain dead tsa or airline ticket agent. anyone know?

surfbikeswim
09-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Tandem in S&S cases - $50 from JFK because we exceeded the 2 checked bags allowed for my wife & I & $0 on the way bike.

Traveled via SW to SFO from Islip with the tandem in S&S cases and they asked twice at Islip if we had a bike in the cases. Bike parts was my answer and no charge. Leaving SFO no questions no charge.

Lesson learned you never know what each agent will try and do.

Ian

jlwdm
09-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Southwest Airlines: $50 each way.

Jeff

BumbleBeeDave
09-28-2010, 08:13 PM
. . . in the several threads I've seen on this subject here in the last year is how inconsistent their enforcement of the alleged charges is. It seems to be up to the whim of the agent handling the transaction.

I've got a Trico box but have only used it once or twice since 9-11. The possible charges don't put me off nearly so much as the nightmare of TSA inspectors opening the case, then not repacking it correctly. It's like a big Chinese puzzle--you don't fit it all together exactly right and you end up with a bent derailleur hangar or something else effed up.

The TSA people are exactly like customs agents--they are totally unaccountable. Because of that I can never be sure that they really care about whether they damage your stuff or not. They don't have to care. That's what scares me.

BBD

rice rocket
09-28-2010, 08:24 PM
. . . in the several threads I've seen on this subject here in the last year is how inconsistent their enforcement of the alleged charges is. It seems to be up to the whim of the agent handling the transaction.

I've got a Trico box but have only used it once or twice since 9-11. The possible charges don't put me off nearly so much as the nightmare of TSA inspectors opening the case, then not repacking it correctly. It's like a big Chinese puzzle--you don't fit it all together exactly right and you end up with a bent derailleur hangar or something else effed up.

The TSA people are exactly like customs agents--they are totally unaccountable. Because of that I can never be sure that they really care about whether they damage your stuff or not. They don't have to care. That's what scares me.

BBD
I'll repeat myself...

Pack a firearm. Flare gun. Starter pistol. Paintball gun. Whathaveyou.

TSA requires that you lock the case with a lock that is unopenable by anyone but YOU. That means after you bring it over to the TSA station, NOBODY is allowed to open it, touch it, look at it the wrong way.

You don't need a permit/license/authorization/blessing to do this.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Direct from the TSA site:

The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.

It adds maybe 5 minutes to your trip, and saves you from theft/bad repacking/lost items/etc.

Elefantino
09-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Southwest Airlines: $50 each way.

Jeff
And Southwest is buying AirTran, which charges $79 each way. I fly AirTran a lot.

Woo hoo! :banana:

jeo99
09-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah, last year when I went to Honolulu, United hit me with an "oversized" charge on my Taylor/Ritchey breakaway. The bike was broken down and in its bag/box.

I believe that charge was something like $175. Then, to top it off, they also hit me with a "second bag" charge, another $40 for a grand total of $215. For a few dollars more, I could have bought my bike a seat on the plane right next to me and got it a drink....sad!

FYI
First of all never tell the airlines you have a bicycle. They will charge. Steel or aluminum tubing is all that needs to be said. Actually in seven years I have only been asked once. I average 6 flights a year with one to Europe. Also the airlines standard established total length for luggage is 62" and 50#. Any size or weight over that standard is subject to a fee! My S-S coupled bike ships in their standard box which is 26"H x 26"L x 10"W which matches their max. standard of 62". The Ritchey Break-Away case is 8.5"W x 26.5"H x 31"L totals 66" and exceeds the airline standard. My 2 cents or maybe I am up to 4 cents

dumbod
09-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Guys, Guys!
It's easy math to have the S-S couplers installed! I did this 7-years ago. It has more than paid for itself twice over. Contact the Bilenky guys. My frame is a 59x59 and works great. http://www.bilenky.com/Home.html

+1 to couplers and +1 to Bilenky.

I had Bilenky convert a Seven Ti Axiom that I bought in this forum last year and I could not be happier. Naked Ti is a great way to go for a conversion because it doesn't have to be repainted after the conversion and you don't have to worry about nicking the frame in the box.

It is true that you need a masters degree in mechanical engineering (and about 30 minutes) to figure out how to pack the box. Also, be prepared when some dip at the ticket counter asks what's in the box ("Exercise equipment" is my usual line.)

Highly recommended.

Cantdog
09-29-2010, 06:52 AM
Pack a firearm. Flare gun. Starter pistol. Paintball gun. Whathaveyou.

Yeah, but then you have to buy a firearm.

You guys have it all wrong, don't tell the people you are packing a bike! The airport ninja would be dissapointed.

When I travel with my bike I remove all the bike related looking stickers/anything from the box and usually stick on some sciencey related things and write TRADE SHOW on it in big letters. And I dress nicely going to the airport.

Most of the time, they wont even ask.

Ray
09-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Flew Delta from the States to Spain in July and then back from Italy, also on Delta. Took a bike in an S&S case, which is regulation size (my understanding is the Ritchey case is an inch or two too long in one dimension). When I called Delta, the first agent I talked to said 'a bike is a bike is a bike', but I pressed her on just taking a regulation sized suitcase, she checked with her supervisor, and came back and changed the story - if it fits in a regulation suitcase, we don't care what's in it as long as its not hazardous.

I had an extra bag charge ($25 one way, and I think $50 coming back) but nothing extra for the bike inside. And no damage or inconvenience at all. Except for trying to drag an S&S case the length of an Italian train with the aisles full of SRO passengers - now THAT was fun!

-Ray

rice rocket
09-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Yeah, but then you have to buy a firearm.

You guys have it all wrong, don't tell the people you are packing a bike! The airport ninja would be dissapointed.

When I travel with my bike I remove all the bike related looking stickers/anything from the box and usually stick on some sciencey related things and write TRADE SHOW on it in big letters. And I dress nicely going to the airport.

Most of the time, they wont even ask.

A flare gun is a firearm?

You don't even have to buy flares. It's like $20 from your local marine supply store.

In fact, you can even buy a replica firearm, and it still needs to declared and locked from all TSA meddling.

You might save yourself some charges, but that still doesn't address TSA unpacking and poorly repacking all your belongings in a mangled mess.

Birddog
09-29-2010, 08:16 AM
I have no problem not telling the agents there is not a bicycle inside the bag/box. In the first place it's true, it's not a BICYCLE however coincidentally the parts contained therein could be made into a bicycle. It's a collection of tubes, fittings, cables, wheels and such, but no way is that a bicycle unless you're shipping one that is completely built up.
Birddog

buck-50
09-29-2010, 09:13 AM
You might save yourself some charges, but that still doesn't address TSA unpacking and poorly repacking all your belongings in a mangled mess.
supposedly, once you declare there is a gun in your luggage, the TSA has to open it with you present and you can unpack/pack. They are not allowed to touch it again once you lock it after the inspection.

rice rocket
09-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Yep, you have to do all the packing/unpacking.

Adds maybe 5-10 minutes, but no more meddling in your luggage.

tch
09-29-2010, 01:25 PM
How in the h*ll can it be cheaper to send something airfreight? They come to your house, get it to the airport, fly it, and then get it to your destination on the other end.
When you fly airlines, you've brought it to them and you'll take it away.
Just the absence of delivery costs SHOULD make flying with it cheaper.

gone
09-29-2010, 02:40 PM
How in the h*ll can it be cheaper to send something airfreight? They come to your house, get it to the airport, fly it, and then get it to your destination on the other end.
When you fly airlines, you've brought it to them and you'll take it away.
Just the absence of delivery costs SHOULD make flying with it cheaper.

You are assuming there is a relationship between what it costs Delta to transport the bike and how much they charge - there is not. For some reason, Delta in particular targets bikes for fees - golf bags, ski/snowboard bags, athletic bags (those huge things that e.g., hockey players use to transport their gear) all count as one piece of luggage and is charged the normal fee. A bicycle gets charged $200. There's no rhyme nor reason to it, they just do. I haven't flown Delta for that reason. Every time I fly with my bike, I send a copy of my ticket and a letter to Delta's CEO explaining to him why I didn't (and will never) fly his airline. I'm sure he's up at nights worrying about it.

Also, whenever I fly with my S&S coupled bike in my regulation size 26x26x10 case, I print out and have with me a copy of the airlines baggage policy. The agents never know what it is and usually make it up as they go along.

PETER REID
10-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Afriend of mine flew to Spain earlier this year andshe was bragging about the great price she got on her ticket. Well, she was bragging until she got to JFK and Delta slapped her with the $300 each way for her bike. If you are going out of the country fly the national carrier for the destinatation that you are bound for. You'll find that your bike will fly for free.

WickedWheels
10-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Has it ever occurred to anyone to simply split their bike between different bags? Wheels or pedals/seatpost/etc in one bag and the rest in the other? That way it's definitely not a bike in the case, since it could never be assembled into a rideable machine.

On a separate note about airport security...
A few years ago I was on a last minute trip (new job orientation) and got singled out for the extra security check because the ticket was purchased less than 24 hours earlier. I had my salesman sample with me -- a Stronglight Pulsion crankset -- in a box marked sample. This was a carry-on, as I did not have luggage. Security didn't even blink at it. If I was carrying a bottle of water, an standard shampoo bottle or nail clipper the items would have been confiscated. Something that looks like a medieval armor-piercing weapon is just fine. Go figure.

Blue Jays
10-15-2010, 01:15 AM
"...Pack a firearm. Flare gun. Starter pistol. Paintball gun. Whathaveyou..."Excellent suggestion. Heck, even use a clapped-out, rusty, old .22 caliber target pistol.
What a great way to ensure the bicycle stays carefully packed. I'm going to use that technique in the future.

LouDeeter
10-15-2010, 02:20 AM
I have an S&S bike with case. I checked with Delta and they told me that they no longer will allow the bike to be shipped free as regular baggage, even though it meets the size regulation. They said the charge is because of "special handling". But, the S&S case avoids oversize fees. I'll just ship via UPS or FedEx in country and rent a bike if going overseas. Saves the hassle.

gone
10-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Saves the hassle.

So does flying with another airline. They don't all have this "special handling" charge for bikes.

eddief
10-15-2010, 08:58 AM
sure seems as if bike in S&S case should go as normal luggage if under 62 inches and 50 pounds:

Size & Weight Restrictions
Regardless of where you're going, you'll want to make sure what you're bringing is allowed.

For carry-on bags your bag must:

Not exceed 45 inches (length+width+height), or 115 cm.
Fit easily in our SizeCheck® unit (approximately 22"x14"x9", or 56x36x23 cm).
Fit in an overhead bin or underneath the seat in front of you.
If your carry-on bag doesn't meet these size restrictions it must be checked, and all checked baggage rules will apply.

To avoid extra charges for oversize or overweight baggage, your checked bag must:

Weigh 50 pounds (23 kg) or less.
Not exceed 62 inches (157 cm) when you total length+width+height.
Special Items
Each special item you're checking counts as one bag.
When checking in online, you don't have to tell us what the special item is—only that you have one.
An agent will determine any possible charges for your special item when you bring it to the baggage drop.
Included are:

Overweight bags - bags over 50 lbs.
Oversize bags - bags over 62 inches (when you total the length+width+height)
Infant and children items - stroller, child restraint seats
Assistive devices - wheelchair
Sports equipment - bicycle, bowling equipment, fishing equipment, golf equipment, ski equipment, parachute, surfboard, windsurf board, scuba tank
Musical instruments
Fragile/bulky items - saddle, antlers, Hawaiian pineapples, military duffle bags
Pets

Bicycles
Non-motorized touring or racing bicycles with single seats are accepted as checked baggage on most flights with the exception of some Delta Connection® carriers and aircraft that may not accept bicycles as checked baggage, and may have different limits due to cargo constraints.

Bicycle Transport Fees
Destination Fee
For travel within or between the United States (including U.S. Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico) and Canada 200 USD/CAD*
For travel between the United States (including U.S. Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico) or Canada and all international markets 200 USD/CAD/EUR*
For travel between all international markets 200 USD/CAD/EUR*
For travel to/from Brazil 75 USD/CAD/EUR*
*CAD amount will be charged exit Canada, and EUR amount will be charged exit Europe.

Your bike must be packaged in a cardboard or canvas container in one of the following ways:

Handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed
Handlebars and pedals encased in plastic, Styrofoam, or other similar material
Return to top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

572cv
10-15-2010, 09:23 AM
We just made another trip with coupled bikes by air. When your bike is taken apart, it isn't a bike.... it's bike parts. When it is in a legal airline box, and not overweight, all you should have to pay is an extra bag charge if there is one.

Satellite
10-15-2010, 09:50 AM
I have an S&S bike with case. I checked with Delta and they told me that they no longer will allow the bike to be shipped free as regular baggage, even though it meets the size regulation. They said the charge is because of "special handling". But, the S&S case avoids oversize fees. I'll just ship via UPS or FedEx in country and rent a bike if going overseas. Saves the hassle.
I just got back last night from a trip to California with my S & S Hardcase and I laugh at the special handling. I watched them throw the case around like a hot potato. I didn't declare it as a bike but I doubt the outcome would have been any different at United anyways. I never tell them its a bike, it is exercise equipment or parts.

I would much rather take my bike on the plane than ship it. I used to ship to my destination, but I am without the bike for usually 5 days on the front end another 5 days on the back end. I couldn't ever insure the bike for enough for a total loss (Coupled Moots VaMoots). If the bike does get lost, it could already of been gone for 5 days and chance of finding it by the hour diminish. At least if the airline losses the package I know within hours and can start the paper work and search.

If I didn't have the ability to Couple I would just rent a bike at my destination. With Couplers I get to enjoy my own bike custom fitted to me with all the best parts. I will take that any day over the complication with the Airlines, because that's what its all about my enjoyment.

The firearm idea isn't bad but I would just go with the ole standby, Parts are in the box.

Satellite

gone
10-15-2010, 05:50 PM
sure seems as if bike in S&S case should go as normal luggage if under 62 inches and 50 pounds:

Size & Weight Restrictions
Regardless of where you're going, you'll want to make sure what you're bringing is allowed.

To avoid extra charges for oversize or overweight baggage, your checked bag must:

Weigh 50 pounds (23 kg) or less.
Not exceed 62 inches (157 cm) when you total length+width+height.

<**** snip*****>

Bicycles
Non-motorized touring or racing bicycles with single seats are accepted as checked baggage on most flights with the exception of some Delta Connection® carriers and aircraft that may not accept bicycles as checked baggage, and may have different limits due to cargo constraints.

Bicycle Transport Fees
Destination Fee
For travel within or between the United States (including U.S. Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico) and Canada 200 USD/CAD*
For travel between the United States (including U.S. Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico) or Canada and all international markets 200 USD/CAD/EUR*
For travel between all international markets 200 USD/CAD/EUR*
For travel to/from Brazil 75 USD/CAD/EUR*
*CAD amount will be charged exit Canada, and EUR amount will be charged exit Europe.

Your bike must be packaged in a cardboard or canvas container in one of the following ways:

Handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed
Handlebars and pedals encased in plastic, Styrofoam, or other similar material
Return to top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See, that's the deal. Some ticket agents go by the 62 inch, 50 lb rule and some go by the bicycle rule which I would interpret as applying to a non-S&S bike that's fully assembled.

You never know which you're going to get and most go by the bicycle rule.

eddief
10-15-2010, 06:13 PM
what difference does it make what crap is in the box?

I would try to say that in a very diplomatic ass kissing way if someone said $200 to me.

gone
10-15-2010, 06:25 PM

I would try to say that in a very diplomatic ass kissing way if someone said $200 to me.

Well, all I can say is "good luck with that" and I mean it seriously.

I was at the Rome airport to check in. They would not, and I mean would not let me on the plane unless I paid the extra fee. I had printed out their baggage policy which I showed to them, I asked to see a manager, I was nice, I begged, I pleaded, I cajoled, I was never angry nor rude and was always polite.

No joy, extra fee paid or I'd still be sitting in Rome. Haven't flown Delta since. Never will and I do mean never. I've told everybody I know and a lot of people that I don't about this incident. I sincerely hope that I've cost Delta much more than the fee they made from me that day in Rom. May they burn in hell.

They could send me a stack of free tickets and I'd sell them on ebay.

eddief
10-15-2010, 06:48 PM
just kidding. Did you, by any chance, write a complaint/schmooze letter when you got home? That is the sort of thing I would have a difficult time letting go of...especially if it was in writing in their rules. For better or worse, I have found the threat to do what you have done can be more powerful when you tell em you are going to do it. It can take talking to one smart person in a giant inpersonal f-ing corporation in order to get some satisfaction. Maybe not worth the hassle, but I do tend to fight for my principles/principals...whichever.

geowar
10-15-2010, 09:35 PM
I have flown on Delta two times with my S and S coupled bike and only been charged the normal baggage rate, but each time I have checked the bag at curb side check in. When the Sky Cap sees my $10 tip he does not care what I am checking. He does not even weigh the box. He just says thanks and have a nice flight.

LegendRider
10-16-2010, 09:17 AM
I flew to Geneva this summer with two friends. Each of us paid a different amount for our bikes! One guy bribed a gate agent with $40 cash and his bike was not assessed a fee. Another checked in at a kiosk and did not acknowledge his bike, but he was charged $55 for oversized baggage and then when he got to the baggage check-in he was charged another $175. Finally, I was honest (not trying to toot my own horn...) and paid the standard $200. Plus, we all had to go to a TSA room and open our bike cases to show agents the contents. In short, it was a huge hassle.

uno-speedo
10-16-2010, 09:29 AM
For international flights try and fly with British Airways:

There is no additional allowance for sporting equipment, but it can still be carried free of charge as part of your free checked baggage allowance. If it is in addition to your free checked allowance, you will need to pay extra bag charges. We will accept non-motorised bicycles of all dimensions provided they are packed in a recognised bicycle bag.

TMB
10-16-2010, 09:45 AM

I find it hard to believe that you actually think this way in the brave new era of air travel when every single bag is being x-rayed and most are being opened for inspection.

Clearly "someone" cares what's in the bag and I, for one, would not want to e the guy that lied about what's in it when it gets inspected.

And no, they don't put the little "TSA was here" card in your bag every time they open it. I came back from a trip last week, where it was clear my bag had been opened and inspected, but there was no love letter in it.

The days of " who cares what's in it" are long gone and it is partly due to that that Delta are able to hit cyclists like this, because they know what's in the bag.

The answer is simply to not fly Delta.

LegendRider
10-16-2010, 09:47 AM

If you live in Atlanta, that's hard to do...

TMB
10-16-2010, 10:02 AM
If you live in Atlanta, that's hard to do...

Yes, I would imagine it is.

My point remains.

eddief
10-16-2010, 10:04 AM
of course I would be concerned about trying to pass something that might bring the plane down. I meant if it weighs less than 50 and fits into 62 then it should make no difference; rocks, feathers, a bike in pieces.

CaptStash
10-16-2010, 11:57 AM
I find it hard to believe that you actually think this way in the brave new era of air travel when every single bag is being x-rayed and most are being opened for inspection.

Clearly "someone" cares what's in the bag and I, for one, would not want to e the guy that lied about what's in it when it gets inspected.

And no, they don't put the little "TSA was here" card in your bag every time they open it. I came back from a trip last week, where it was clear my bag had been opened and inspected, but there was no love letter in it.

The days of " who cares what's in it" are long gone and it is partly due to that that Delta are able to hit cyclists like this, because they know what's in the bag.

Yes but...Delta doesn't open the bag, TSA does and they couldn't give a fig what or if you paid Delta. I am hoping to be coupled by this summer and plan to call it bike parts as necessary, but really, does anyone ask "what's in your suitcase?" Nobody has ever asked me.

Stash....

Satellite
10-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Yes but...Delta doesn't open the bag, TSA does and they couldn't give a fig what or if you paid Delta. I am hoping to be coupled by this summer and plan to call it bike parts as necessary, but really, does anyone ask "what's in your suitcase?" Nobody has ever asked me.

Stash....
I was asked once because my hard case has arrow pointing which way to lay the case and fragile written all over it. I was called back to the counter and asked what was in the case that they couldn't lay flat because it wouldn't fit though the x-ray machine unless layed down. I told them bike parts and they could lay the case flat. It was nice that someone acutally read the box and complied with my request. It has only happened once and I travel almost once a month to some where.

Satellite

Ken Robb
10-16-2010, 01:09 PM

Do you think it might have been a thief looking for valuables but leaving your underwear?

TMB
10-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Do you think it might have been a thief looking for valuables but leaving your underwear?

NO.

The two GPS units and 3 cameras were still there when I got where I was going.