PDA

View Full Version : Starting a service shop

Bob Loblaw
09-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi all,

It seems like I have been working on a friend's bike, or a friend's kid's bike, every other week all summer, so I am thinking about opening a service shop out of my basement. I wouldn't sell bikes, just fix them. The local LBS is doing me a favor by charging outrageous labor rates for mediocre service, so I thought it might be a fun way to pick up a little spending money on the side.

I don't consider myself an expert, but I usually answer questions more often than I pose them. Tool wise, I lack headset tools, but that's about it. I put myself through college at a bike shop, so I'm a pretty confident mechanic. I lack any sort of business savvy, however.

Any thoughts from those in the industry as to where to start and how to get something like this going?

Thanks!

BL

FlashUNC
09-27-2010, 05:13 PM
I know a couple folks who've gone this route. Short version is provide great service and good rates, and word of mouth can usually be enough to build a decent business, since your overhead is so low.

If you want some specific contacts, PM me.

fourflys
09-27-2010, 05:23 PM
there's a guy here locally who did just that... he is doing it as his only job, so he has a fully insured, enclosed trailer that he will do work onsite or take your bike back to his house and then deliver it when he's done... He seems to to be as busy as he wants to be and he does charge less than the LBS...

I think if you're competent, have good word of mouth and maybe have someone set up a nice website for you, you'll do just fine...

Good Luck!

GuyGadois
09-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Bob,
I have seen a few Craigslist postings advertising services. Not sure how many respond but it may be a good start. Like the other guy said, word of mouth is your best bet. Get a good name with the local clubs and Bob is your uncle.

Guy

Dave
09-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Want a Park headset tool cheap? It's one of those tools I bought a long time ago and probably used it twice.

bike22
09-27-2010, 05:35 PM
For me, as a basement mechanic who loves fixing bikes-

the hardest part is getting parts- especially small consumables. It sucks to pay retail on cables/housing/chains, small stuff like that.

It is easy just to fix people's bikes- but what if they needed a new chain/cassette/etc?

If you buy them at LBS retail, then you can't make any profit off that without marking up the already high price from a LBS. If you order them online, you introduce additional hassle/time spent ordering/waiting for parts. You might be able to mark them up a little bit, but then you are getting close to the LBS price on parts, and only can undercut them on labor.

edit: I'm in boston and i'll fix anyone's bike cheap/free.

Blue Jays
09-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Good for you! This is a service many would enjoy utilizing.
Cycling enthusiasts who are über-careful around their paintjobs will really like it!
Would seem more personal and trustworthy than many shops.

Acotts
09-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Any of you live in DC?

I really like this idea.

Blue Jays
09-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Another idea is have people bring their bikes, advise which parts are needed, provide a computer to order said parts, and have them shipped to the customer name c/o service shop address. Work can commence at an agreed time when parts arrive. Essentially a bike shop without inventory for non-emergency repairs...

slowandsteady
09-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Make sure you have insurance!

rice rocket
09-27-2010, 06:09 PM
For me, as a basement mechanic who loves fixing bikes-

the hardest part is getting parts- especially small consumables. It sucks to pay retail on cables/housing/chains, small stuff like that.

It is easy just to fix people's bikes- but what if they needed a new chain/cassette/etc?

If you buy them at LBS retail, then you can't make any profit off that without marking up the already high price from a LBS. If you order them online, you introduce additional hassle/time spent ordering/waiting for parts. You might be able to mark them up a little bit, but then you are getting close to the LBS price on parts, and only can undercut them on labor.

edit: I'm in boston and i'll fix anyone's bike cheap/free.
How much is an account at QBP?

Seems like you could carry some inventory, as long as you don't get hit with having to replace 30 8-speed cassettes in one day.

Anyways, it's not a bad plan...just be aware that there's people in this world that have NEVER maintained their bike and leave 'em chained to bike racks when they're not riding them. Be accustomed to drilling out stripped allen heads, rusty cassettes, etc.

Hai H. Ho
09-27-2010, 06:11 PM
If you can be mobile and the local race scene is not sponsored by a shop, I would be present. There was this guy handing out his business card at various local weekend rides as well. He first offered his services on the spot and for free of charge so that he could get the name going and show all of us that he had skills.

Best of luck with your adventure.

mgm777
09-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Suggest you PM OLDPOTATOE on this forum. Listen to what he says. He has a lot of experience doing exactly what you're trying to do. Good luck!

Pete Serotta
09-27-2010, 06:15 PM

ALso depending on state you will need state tax (sales) # as will as consider quarterly taxes that might need to be paid by the revenue collected. Additionally you in some areas can negotiate for wholesale pricing.

What state are you doing it in and maybe the city if you feel comfortable to list it.

OTHERS will add more info and maybe even some experience learned. SPOKES would be one of them

avalonracing
09-27-2010, 06:16 PM

There is a probably a quick and easy way to get insurance but you will want to for two reasons, if you crack someones C-50 or if some J-Hole is "just riding along" and blames you for his accident.

I would recommend declining any repair that you think might be above your head or destined for failure (i.e. "I need some help with my C-50 bottom bracket it wont come out but I'm sure that I didn't strip it when putting it in").

Don't let the insurance thing discourage you, just get it.

Pete Serotta
09-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Suggest you PM OLDPOTATOE on this forum. Listen to what he says. He has a lot of experience doing exactly what you're trying to do. Good luck!

A nice gentleman and a straight shooter :beer:

pbjbike
09-27-2010, 06:22 PM
As far as inventory goes, you can get by with cables, housing, tubes/tires, cassettes, chains, grease and chain lube. Anything else you can order quickly. QBP used to be tough to order from without a storefront or minimums. See what Ritchey has going, as they used to great with consumables and had no minimum order.

Best of luck!

pbjbike
09-27-2010, 06:26 PM
SNIP Don't let the insurance thing discourage you, just get it.

It's pretty cheap for a sole proprietorship, and worth every penny.

bike22
09-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Seems like you could carry some inventory, as long as you don't get hit with having to replace 30 8-speed cassettes in one day.
I don't fix bikes for money. I just like fixing my own bikes, and bike projects. I've always got a few projects going at once. Build up a bike, ride it, get tired of it, sell it, buy a new bike/frame/project.

It's pretty hard to get a qbp acct- you have to have a physical storefront, etc. It doesn't cost money, as far as I know.

I buy my parts used, from websites like this, or craigslist. For stuff like bar tape, housing, cables, I wait until they go on super sale on nashbar or something and order a whole grip at once.

Tires I get used- from cast-offs from racers, stuff that shops throw out, etc.

Bob Loblaw
09-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Some great thoughts and ideas here. Thanks everybody! I like the business card idea. I'll order some and start handing them out at group rides. The CL ad is a great idea too.

Where would I get insurance? From my homeowner's agent? I'll get in touch with him. Should I get an LLC? I'm in a small town in Connecticut.

The inventory is definitely a problem I've been chewing over, apart from consumables like tubes, chains and cables which I'll almost certainly have to stock. Till now I've doing as BlueJay described, basically just been telling people what to order (and where to get it if they don't know), so they bring me the bike and parts and I do the labor. As I scale up will that be practical?

I figure I can charge half what the LBS is charging for labor and let the almost-all-parts-have-to-be-ordered aspect be part of the trade-off for lower cost, higher quality work.

Thanks again, everybody!

BL

rice rocket
09-27-2010, 06:47 PM
It's pretty hard to get a qbp acct- you have to have a physical storefront, etc. It doesn't cost money, as far as I know.

Oh, that's annoying to hear.

Well, that means that leaves room for one more middleman! Who's in?! :)

csm
09-28-2010, 07:51 AM
I work for beer.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Hi all,

It seems like I have been working on a friend's bike, or a friend's kid's bike, every other week all summer, so I am thinking about opening a service shop out of my basement. I wouldn't sell bikes, just fix them. The local LBS is doing me a favor by charging outrageous labor rates for mediocre service, so I thought it might be a fun way to pick up a little spending money on the side.

I don't consider myself an expert, but I usually answer questions more often than I pose them. Tool wise, I lack headset tools, but that's about it. I put myself through college at a bike shop, so I'm a pretty confident mechanic. I lack any sort of business savvy, however.

Any thoughts from those in the industry as to where to start and how to get something like this going?

Thanks!

BL

It's essentially what my shop does. Vast majority of my $ come from service, custom wheels. I think the biggest problem you will have is spare parts as most distributors won't sell to you if you don't have a store front. Get a small industrial park type shop, get a sign, a tax license and start a wrenching.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2010, 07:57 AM

Anyways, it's not a bad plan...just be aware that there's people in this world that have NEVER maintained their bike and leave 'em chained to bike racks when they're not riding them. Be accustomed to drilling out stripped allen heads, rusty cassettes, etc.

QBP account costs nothing bt minimum orders are $150. Accounts cost nothing but as I mentioned, most distributors require a store front, a tax license, a phone, a real business.

AngryScientist
09-28-2010, 08:06 AM
the one thing that would worry me a little would be the little "accidents". i've worked on my bikes for years, built all of my current rigs from the frame up, and, i think we all know accidents happen when you work on bikes often.

bike leaned against wall tips over, wrenches slip, paint chips. no matter how careful you are, these little things seem to be unavoidable, and i can live with my own "oops" moments, but what about when you put a minute chip in some OCD racer's pinarello? scuff the seat transporting the bike? etc.

dont let that discourage you, of course, but be prepared to answer questions like - that scratch wasnt there before! - even if it wasnt you...

good luck, i've often toyed around with the same idea. i'm my friends and family's bike and car mechanic, and i too, work for beer:)

oldpotatoe
09-28-2010, 08:16 AM
the one thing that would worry me a little would be the little "accidents". i've worked on my bikes for years, built all of my current rigs from the frame up, and, i think we all know accidents happen when you work on bikes often.

bike leaned against wall tips over, wrenches slip, paint chips. no matter how careful you are, these little things seem to be unavoidable, and i can live with my own "oops" moments, but what about when you put a minute chip in some OCD racer's pinarello? scuff the seat transporting the bike? etc.

dont let that discourage you, of course, but be prepared to answer questions like - that scratch wasnt there before! - even if it wasnt you...

good luck, i've often toyed around with the same idea. i'm my friends and family's bike and car mechanic, and i too, work for beer:)

Yep, it happens even when you try your best to not do this sort of thing. I suggest you be honest, admit what ever it is, offer compensation, including respray if it's really bad. I cold set a merckx to 130mm, broke the brake bridge loose(only time this happened on many cold set adventures), repaired and resprayed..expensive but the gent has been back.

Another suggestion if you get a store front, you will need a way to process credit cards. 95% of my biz is CC transactions, very little is cash/check.

For insurance, liability insurance is cheap, like $50 per month cheap. Also, pay yourself....

ergott
09-28-2010, 08:27 AM

My first wrenching job was being a shop rat at an autobody shop. You are not allowed an oops;-)

I was reminded that slower is better if it prevents accidents and mistakes. To this day I'm thorough, not fast.

OP, good luck with the venture. It can be fun. Learn to under promise and over deliver (still work in progress for me). Shop quality tools are always a better investment than less expensive tools that either wear out faster or are built to lower tolerances. They also hold their value better. The Park tool bundles should be an excellent start.

If you have the customers source their own parts, be very specific. It would be best to give them a part number so they don't order the wrong size (front mech clamps, seatposts etc.) or worse. I'm sure the last thing a customer wants to do is return a part they ordered wrong. Know what handlebars are measured C-C or O-O and that sort of thing. Assume nothing when it comes to customer knowledge. Get a torque wrench and read every instruction book a part comes with. It's one thing to skip these steps with your own personal bike, but you can't mess around with other people's bikes.

If you ask a local shop they might even give you a copy of QPB book from the previous season. There is a wholesale version with prices and a retail version without they show customers. The retail copy would be good enough to look up exact part numbers.

If you plan on assembling frames you do have to have all the frame tools. You don't want to start up a bike and find out the bb threads need chasing. Get the headset tools (install and uninstall), BB thread chaser and facer, rear mech. alignment tool and a general set of thread dies and taps for metric. These tools will be the biggest outlay, but they are essential for building up a frame. You might have to limit your work to the tools you have on hand at first if you can't purchase all the tools yet.
:beer:

TimD
09-28-2010, 08:33 AM
From someone contemplating "life after high tech": This is a really useful thread, thanks!

jblande
09-28-2010, 08:51 AM
The only 'shop' I visit in my town does essentially what you say. Germany/Switzerland a bit different due to the volume of bikes and riders.

But he has a friendly agreement with a lbs here. They source anything he needs at a reduced rate. Might be worth asking around if you have any friends at an lbs.

I think it is a great idea, and in the internet age, it has a future, I believe.

I know that in NYC there are a few places doing just what you would like to. Perhaps some of the city-folk can chime in.

SEABREEZE
09-28-2010, 08:57 AM
The first thing I ask you is,,, do you get along with your neighbors, some dont take kindly to have a lot of business traffic in a residential neighborhood.

Every municipality has different ordiances , regarding working out of the house. All it takes is one call from a cranky neighbor, to downtown...

Best of luck to you.

Ralph
09-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Sounds like a fun adventure....for a while. But not sure there is any money in it for you. I can see every dime you get going into parts and tools for a long time. I enjoy working on my own bikes, don't mind doing some work on friends bikes, but have found I have to be careful I don't get taken advantage of. People just think I've got time to do all their work for nothing. I've about stopped doing any work for others. I just tell them to get some tools and a good workstand, and learn themselves, like I did. Or go to LBS.

OLDPatotoes does it as a full time business. That's a tad different from what you describe. It has to be a business, not a hangout for bike buddies needing free or almost free work. You have to charge for what you do. Your friends may not understand that. Good luck.

Bob Loblaw
09-29-2010, 01:52 PM
More great advice here. Thanks a million. You have all given me a lot to think about.

Re: tools. I currently lack any kind of machining tools like facing tools, thread cutters and chasers. How much money I bring in will determine future tool purchases (but I will for sure need a few things like the aforementioned headset tools). Upgrading my tools to shop quality across the board will be first priority, then expanding my collection.

At least at first I will definitely have to work out of my basement, which will minimize overhead but cause problems with inventory. LBS has a reputation for cut-throat business practices (he has told other shops he'd do whatever he could to drive them under), so I doubt there will be any good will forthcoming for my little venture. The only workable model I have been able to come up with is to order parts at retail cost on a case-by-case basis until, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I get to the point I can afford a retail space and start ordering from distributors.

I work for beer too, and ice cream gift cards and B&N cards, and I barter for things like yard work and babysitting. I want to keep that aspect in place as much as possible.

Currently shopping for insurance and working on a website, then LLC and then Tax ID.

BL

Bob Loblaw
09-29-2010, 02:00 PM
On bringing in business, there have been some good ideas here (CL ads, website, business cards). I'm also consciously avoiding the cobbler's-kids-have-no-shoes attitude a lot of mechanics I know take towards their own bikes. My bike is my stock in trade, so my wheels are always razor-true and my drivetrain clean enough to eat off of. That being the case, when I get the website up, I will probably have some custom decals of the URL made up to put on the bike.

Just thinking out loud here. Thanks again to everyone who's contributed.

BL

TAW
09-29-2010, 02:00 PM
When I started working at a shop, the biggest hurdle was the variety of types of bikes/components that you encounter. Plus people bring in their Wal-Mart special, which parts are next to impossible to get. The first bike I ever worked on in the shop was a Target type bike with a bottom bracket problem. Disassembled it and couldn't get it back together, and no parts available. Fortunately the customer ended up buying a new bike, so that worked out well. ;)

In any case, I wish you well. Enjoy it. I think a "shop" where you didn't have to sell stuff would be cool.

fourflys
09-29-2010, 02:12 PM
On bringing in business, there have been some good ideas here (CL ads, website, business cards). I'm also consciously avoiding the cobbler's-kids-have-no-shoes attitude a lot of mechanics I know take towards their own bikes. My bike is my stock in trade, so my wheels are always razor-true and my drivetrain clean enough to eat off of. That being the case, when I get the website up, I will probably have some custom decals of the URL made up to put on the bike.

BL

Bob-
Here is the guy I was talking about in my earlier post, give Ben a call... I'm sure he'll give you some tips since I don't think you're in his neck of the woods...

http://dirttreaders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6136&start=0

Chris

csm
09-29-2010, 02:13 PM

BL

I'd put a decal on my bike for ya,

cody.wms
09-29-2010, 02:54 PM
If you ask a local shop they might even give you a copy of QPB book from the previous season. There is a wholesale version with prices and a retail version without they show customers. The retail copy would be good enough to look up exact part numbers.

When I need to order something, I go here (http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?PageID=49) and write down the QBP number. Just in case you cant get a copy of the catalog.

GuyGadois
09-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Wait, Bob, aren't you a Lawyer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arrested_Development_characters#Bob_Loblaw )?

http://runesoup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/bob-loblaw1.jpg

Ralph
09-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Having been retired for 12 years, sometimes I get a little bored and go looking for a part time job. I've had several for a year or so, then I usually get bored with that and quit. One time I talked myself into a job with one of the better LBS. I don't need any extra money, but having retired from a desk job, I like physical work and I don't expect to be paid much.

I had visions of working on nice bikes, like I have, where every bolt has some lube on it, where cables are in decent shape, where BB's will always come out, bikes that you can adjust back to perfect shifting, etc. And I did see a few of those.

But mostly what I worked on was junk. A lot of bikes that lived outdoors. Bikes I wouldn't even have kept around my house. Everything was always bent, frozen, wore out, or not fixable. Most bent wheels were not fixable, just sold them a new one. If the derailleurs were bent or worse, you just did the best you could, owners wouldn't pay for a lot of new parts. Frozen BB's sometimes came out with treads still attached....and frames were ruined (owners warned in advance). The only satisfying work was helping keep some handicapped people in wheels because that was their only transportation.

So my fear for you would be just getting bogged down in repair of basically unfixable bikes, which require a lot of basic parts to fix. Hopefully all your work will be on enthusiasts bikes. All your cash flow would go into inventory of cheap parts. PLus your overhead. I wouldn't do it, unless I had a decent cheap store front in good location where I made a business of it full time....being open a lot of hours each week. Making a huge commitment. BTW.....I didn't work there very long. Just not what I expected.

npla2112
09-29-2010, 03:30 PM
I've been volunteering at the Troy Bike Rescue for the past year or so. It's a community shop that teaches people how to fix their own bikes. I believe it was started in someone's basement and it expanded from there. Just a bunch of good people doing what we love, the fact that its for the community too makes it that much better. Check it out www.troybikerescue.org.

Bob Loblaw
09-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Heya Ralph,

Thanks for the concern. I did some work at a high end shop in California, and I worked on everything from "attic" bikes to kids bikes to the bikes of the women's pro team the shop sponsored. Working on a nice bike is a treat, but so is bringing something back to life that ought to be dead, or making something worn out or bent work better than it did when it was new.

The only part of it I never enjoyed was selling bikes, because inevitably people with more money than sense would gravitate towards something they didn't need, couldn't use, and didn't understand, just because it was expensive. That drove me crazy.

BL

But mostly what I worked on was junk.

So my fear for you would be just getting bogged down in repair of basically unfixable bikes, which require a lot of basic parts to fix. Hopefully all your work will be on enthusiasts bikes. All your cash flow would go into inventory of cheap parts. PLus your overhead. I wouldn't do it, unless I had a decent cheap store front in good location where I made a business of it full time....being open a lot of hours each week. Making a huge commitment. BTW.....I didn't work there very long. Just not what I expected.

BobbyJones
09-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Where would I get insurance? From my homeowner's agent? I'll get in touch with him. Should I get an LLC? I'm in a small town in Connecticut.

Take a look at http://www.doctormikesbikes.com servicing Fairfield and Westchester

torquer
09-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Another suggestion if you get a store front, you will need a way to process credit cards. 95% of my biz is CC transactions, very little is cash/check.
According to this article, CC processing just got a lot more accessible; all you need is an iPhone or Android:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/technology/personaltech/30pogue.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper
Pardon the thread drift, but accepting Visa/MC seems like one of the basic requirements for "real" businesses. Even escort services (or so I'm told...)

Ralph
09-30-2010, 10:34 AM
If you are determined, it can work. "They say" Bill Gates started in a garage.

Volant
09-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Ralph has a lot of good advice. I also think you'll be working on a lot of low-end (Wal-mart-esque) bikes with customers with high expectations. There is only so much lipstick you can put on those pigs (speaking from shop experience).
The advice on insurance is spot-on as well. Will you be giving your customers estimates and receipts? If so, place on there a small waiver so the customer signs off on the service. It's also a good practice to not be more than 10% off your estimate. That means you'll need to know your costs ahead of time - which may take some time to figure out - as your time is worth money.
It's great to see that you want to take this and turn it into a viable business and I wish you all the best. Good luck!

oldpotatoe
10-01-2010, 07:50 AM
The only part of it I never enjoyed was selling bikes, because inevitably people with more money than sense would gravitate towards something they didn't need, couldn't use, and didn't understand, just because it was expensive. That drove me crazy.

BL

And me everyday. I get so tired of justifying my position on bike 'stuff'. No that carbon whizbangery won't make your next century be any easier, no the flowers won't smell better, the sky won't be bluer, the wind always at your back. The bike biz, being pretty flat for years, is awash is gizmos, gadgets. I would much rather just fix what comes in rather than make promises I can't keep about this widget or that.

Bob Loblaw
10-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Hello all,

I've got myself a DBA (Doing Business As), and I've settled on a name and done up a website with help and advice from brother-in-arms GuyGadois and others. I'd appreciate any feedback on my website as it stands in my signature line.

I've also got my first paying customer's bike in the stand as we speak. :beer:

BL

rice rocket
10-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Name is sort of a mouthful.

That said, I might be sending my father you way for a fitting session ($30 is practically giving away your time!). He's taking my frame back to Connecticut.

Ken Robb
10-28-2010, 01:22 PM
The "in-group" name will be meaningless to most folks. Something like "Bicycle Service Specialists" will be best for your business.

snah
10-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Hello all,

I've got myself a DBA (Doing Business As), and I've settled on a name and done up a website with help and advice from brother-in-arms GuyGadois and others. I'd appreciate any feedback on my website as it stands in my signature line.

BL

Like it!! :beer: Wish I lived in CT.

Louis
10-28-2010, 02:00 PM
The "in-group" name will be meaningless to most folks. Something like "Bicycle Service Specialists" will be best for your business.

Agreed.

I think the name should match your expected clientele. For fancy Rapha-types the current "Red Lantern" is fine. But they are only 0.001% of the potential market. For most of the folks out there a simpler name is probably best.

Ralph
10-28-2010, 02:30 PM
In the old days....when one advertised in yellow pages.....you wanted to start your business with an A. That would be first name that came up. Like A Allen Bike works, etc. LOL

oldpotatoe
10-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Hello all,

BL

I know nothing about CT but even here there are industrial park locations that are maybe $5-$8 a square ft...500 sq ft and that's only about $2500-$4000 so a year so about $250 or so a month...being able to buy inventory you will use every job, like cables, housing, brake pads, bartape, I think would be really useful.

But good luck. My shop, 11 years ago, also had the .com concept of get fit, send the bike to me and I will assemble..until the .bomb.

Bob Loblaw
10-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks everybody!

BL

Lifelover
10-29-2010, 08:35 AM
Seems kinda cool.

I don't get the name reference (assuming there is one) but I don't think the name will make or break you.

Many of your prices are TOOOOO cheap. You will end up being known as the cheap guy.

If you know that you can make a go if it at those prices, have at it. However you may want to crunch some numbers keeping in mind that at least half your day will not be billable hours.

Dave B
10-29-2010, 09:05 AM
This is a great idea.

I do have a few questions though. What type of stuff is the deal breaker? What things do you not do beyond scope of skill? I can do most things, I have never built a wheel, but there is little I don't know how to do or have doen for many pals in the past.

What about cleaning bikes? I just did a neighbor's bike that he had not done in I kid you not 15 years. I used an entire can of degreaser and still let some on there. When is the business not worth it?

anyone ever set up a, "bring it to me clean" standard. Not spotless and I don't have an issue with dirt, it simply makes me think about when is too much work a deal breaker?

yngpunk
10-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Seems kinda cool.

I don't get the name reference (assuming there is one) but I don't think the name will make or break you.

"Laterne Rouge" is French for Red Lantern and in this context refers to the "honor" that is bestowed on the last place finisher in the TdF. Apparently, winning the Laterne Rouge bestows (or used to) some amount of publicity to the Laterne Rouge jersey holder. Reference is based on the red lanterns that were hung on the back of the caboose.

There's a Red Lantern Cycles in Menlo Park, CA.

Ken Robb
10-29-2010, 09:44 AM
This is a great idea.

anyone ever set up a, "bring it to me clean" standard. Not spotless and I don't have an issue with dirt, it simply makes me think about when is too much work a deal breaker?

I have seen shops that charge extra to clean a bike that is too dirty to be serviced as is.

Bob Loblaw
10-29-2010, 10:59 AM
I offer a cleaning service. If a bike is THAT filthy, it gets the bucket and brush treatment. Takes about ten minutes to get most of the crud off, then down to the shop where I break out the degreasers and furniture polish.

Re: cheap prices. My rates are low because I don't have any overhead, no space, no inventory, no staff. I enjoy the work, and I'd call it a success if I clear a few grand a year.

I'm counting on building my business partly through my connection to the local cycling scene. A few guys will try me because they're buddies and I'm cheap. They'll spread the word if I'm good.

Besides, I'm competing against a well-established high-end shop. For comparable prices, would you go to a pro shop or some guy working out of his basement? I have to be cheap!

BL

Bob Loblaw
10-29-2010, 11:09 AM
This is a great idea.

I do have a few questions though. What type of stuff is the deal breaker? What things do you not do beyond scope of skill? I can do most things, I have never built a wheel, but there is little I don't know how to do or have doen for many pals in the past.

What about cleaning bikes? I just did a neighbor's bike that he had not done in I kid you not 15 years. I used an entire can of degreaser and still let some on there. When is the business not worth it?

A lot of riders can and do maintain their own equipment, but you'd be surprised how many people, engineers even, don't know even how to use their barrel adjusters. One guy in particular I know designs airplane hydraulic systems for a living, but his eyes glaze over if you start talking about derailer stop screws or spoke tension or when to use anti-seize.

And I have a pretty complete skillset. I haven't ever worked on MTB suspension or hydraulic brakes (and doubt I would for customers unless I get some experience under my belt), but I have worked on motorcycle and car suspension and brakes. I can and do build wheels (not economically because I have to get parts via retail, hence I don't offer it on my site). Right now my only limitation for doing a given job is whether I have the right tools.

BL

Ken Robb
10-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Besides, I'm competing against a well-established high-end shop. For comparable prices, would you go to a pro shop or some guy working out of his basement? I have to be cheap!

BL
I agree with this absolutely. A guy who is recognized as the VERY BEST tech who is used by the top racers can probably charge equal or higher rates than a real shop but you're obviously not there---yet. :) :beer: :banana:

bike22
10-29-2010, 11:23 AM
good luck, hopefully it goes well for you.

keep us posted on how things are going.