PDA

View Full Version : OT: Segway company owner dies, after rolling into river...

fiamme red
09-27-2010, 10:53 AM
...on a Segway. :eek:

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_16026/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=lFfz5TbN

LONDON (AP) - A wealthy British businessman who owns the company that makes the two-wheeled Segway people transporter has been found dead in a river in northern England after apparently falling off a cliff on one of the vehicles, police said Monday.

The body of 62-year-old James Heselden and a Segway personal transporter were found in the River Wharfe and he was pronounced dead at the scene, West Yorkshire police said.

Police said a witness had reported seeing a man fall Sunday over a 30-foot (9-meter) drop into the river near the village of Boston Spa, 140 miles (225 kilometers) north of London...

54ny77
09-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Ouch. What do you say to that, "woops?"

Kevan
09-27-2010, 11:31 AM
regardless the height of the riser.

It's a shame.

1happygirl
09-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Gizmodo
Segway Company Owner Dies After Driving Segway Off Cliff
Just like the countless innovators, explorers and fine people killed in a Frankensteinian way by their own inventions, the current owner of Segway— not Dean Kamen—died yesterday after he rode off a cliff and into a river in England.
Jimi Heselden, aged 62, was found at 11.40am yesterday by the River Wharfe in North Yorkshire, with his X2 Adventure (pictured) by his side. Police believe that it was
just a freak accident, with nothing suspicious about the man worth $262m falling to his death.
It's particularly poignant as his company had only just purchased the Segway company in December 2009. He sounded like a really nice guy according to reports, a chap who left school at 15 to work in the mines, but was fortunate enough to develop some interesting-sounding defense systems which made him millions.
He was one of those rare philanthropists who had given away millions to charity but didn't like to talk about it— at least £23m ($36m) in the last few years alone, it's thought. [The Independent and The Daily Mail]
Image Credit: Scottslone

http://gizmodo.com/5648709/segway-company-owner-dies-after-driving-segway-off-cliff?skyline=true&s=i

Just saw this prior to looking at the Forum (after searching the web for Outlook for Mac)

Serotta Forumites are FAST!!!!

I'll just bookmark Serotta for my news page.

tele
09-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Sad and ironic

BengeBoy
09-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Very sad.

I've seen some not-so-funny jokes about this online, which is disappointing, though I guess understandable.

I had some business with the folks at Segway a few years ago. Great group of committed, smart, passionate people -- as intent on their vision as any group of cycling visionaries. The same folks invented some mobility devices for people who can't walk, and that (the iBot) was really a wonderful piece of technology -- there's a user where I work and he couldn't be happier.

MattTuck
09-27-2010, 01:58 PM
I had the chance to use a segway once. I thought it was a very cool device and could certainly fill a niche for certain jobs/duties.

bobswire
09-27-2010, 02:20 PM
I think he was riding beyond his ability. Here's the segway in question... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x56VHd5NDpo

Acotts
09-27-2010, 03:05 PM
...nothing the god of biomechanics wouldn't let you into heaven for

stephenmarklay
09-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Jimi Heselden was not the inventor of the Segway it was Dean Kamen.

The technology came from the IBOT also invented by Dean.

I only know this as Dean came and presented the Ibot at my workplace about 10 years ago. He gave a talk sitting on the Ibot the whole time as it balanced under him. It was pretty cool

Mr. Heselden must have bought the company which Dean separated off from his research company DEKA.

William
09-27-2010, 03:47 PM
If you have the time to kill I think you will be pleasantly surprised by this movie. I followed BW's link and then clicked on this one. A very good movie that left a smile on my face and reminded me of how cool it is to travel cross country, follow your dream, and meet some cool and unusual people along the way.

10 mph - Seattle To Boston
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdR41fe9Zeg&feature=fvw

William

Acotts
09-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Jimi Heselden was not the inventor of the Segway it was Dean Kamen.

The technology came from the IBOT also invented by Dean.

I only know this as Dean came and presented the Ibot at my workplace about 10 years ago. He gave a talk sitting on the Ibot the whole time as it balanced under him. It was pretty cool

Mr. Heselden must have bought the company which Dean separated off from his research company DEKA.

^^ So I guess the Blade Runner reference no longer works.

Blue Jays
09-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Unfortunate news about the gentleman's death.
Segway devices are really pretty silly.

bobswire
09-27-2010, 05:53 PM
If you have the time to kill I think you will be pleasantly surprised by this movie. I followed BW's link and then clicked on this one. A very good movie that left a smile on my face and reminded me of how cool it is to travel cross country, follow your dream, and meet some cool and unusual people along the way.

10 mph - Seattle To Boston
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdR41fe9Zeg&feature=fvw

William

Hey William, I got hooked, :beer: an hour and half of my life invested watching that movie. It really is a great country to cross, my sweetie and I have talked about doing that and stopping off at our National Parks on the way for the past 14 years (by auto, not segway). Seeing this movie gets the motivation juices flowing again.
-Bob

bicycletricycle
09-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Hey William, I got hooked, :beer: an hour and half of my life invested watching that movie. It really is a great country to cross, my sweetie and I have talked about doing that and stopping off at our National Parks on the way for the past 14 years (by auto, not segway). Seeing this movie gets the motivation juices flowing again.
-Bob

I have driven cross country 3 times and it is always fantastic. I highly recommend it. the national parks are great, the last trip we went to yosemite, yellowstone, rushmore and the badlands.

William
09-28-2010, 06:33 AM
-Bob

I have driven cross country 3 times and it is always fantastic. I highly recommend it. the national parks are great, the last trip we went to yosemite, yellowstone, rushmore and the badlands.

I liked the movie. I've driven across four times. Well, technically three times, and two half times. Once from Minneapolis to the West coast when I got stranded on 9-11. And once from Chicago to the East Coast when I flew out to buy my Landcruiser and drive it back. It's always an adventure. I'll always try to hit the National Parks and monuments along the way. Take back roads when possible, and sometimes just take roads to see where they go. I've had some crazy adventures and met some strange and some really nice people along the way. I highly recommend trying it at least once....though probably not on a Segway. :)

William

dogdriver
09-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Since Segways respond to subtle physical movements ("an extension of my thoughts", I've heard said by the cops who use them in the Salt Lake airport), maybe the machine was just doing what its rider told it to. This "segues" into a summary of "Brians First Zen Rule of Skiing and Mountain Biking", which is:

"You will always go where you look",

or, stated in the negative,

"Don't look at anything you don't want to hit."

Maybe the guy was freaked out by the drop and couldn't take his eyes off of it...

Just a random thought, Chris