PDA

View Full Version : Score one for the big fellas

rugbysecondrow
09-27-2010, 09:15 AM
I have been doing triathlons for a few years (some sprint, some international and a couple offroad) and for the first time I actually placed (2nd) in my age group. I must be honest and say that this was not the most competitive field I have participated in, a social race with plenty of beer and food afterwards, but there is something satisfying about being a solid clydesdale and taking an age group medal regardless of the race. I felt great on the swim, bike felt strong and the run started well, until I hit a stretch of road with no shade and 90 degree sun and hot asphalt. I went from cruising to pushing, but I made it back to the shade and after a little water, I was solid for the finish. Anyway, it was a great time and I recommend the race to anyone (pm for info). It was funny because they started reading off times and I thought, "I did better than that.", then I hit me that I was going to place...no effin way. I saunter up with beer in had and elastic shorts on to claim my medal, and from then on my buddy got my beer the rest of the night.

Anyway, great people, not pretentiousness, fun atmostphere. Good times had by all...did I mention all you can eat and all you can drink beer?). Check out the obligatory chubby photo with medal...yep, score one for us clydesdales.

William
09-27-2010, 09:26 AM
I have been doing triathlons for a few years (some sprint, some international and a couple offroad) and for the first time I actually placed (2nd) in my age group. I must be honest and say that this was not the most competitive field I have participated in, a social race with plenty of beer and food afterwards, but there is something satisfying about being a solid clydesdale and taking an age group medal regardless of the race. I felt great on the swim, bike felt strong and the run started well, until I hit a stretch of road with no shade and 90 degree sun and hot asphalt. I went from cruising to pushing, but I made it back to the shade and after a little water, I was solid for the finish. Anyway, it was a great time and I recommend the race to anyone (pm for info). It was funny because they started reading off times and I thought, "I did better than that.", then I hit me that I was going to place...no effin way. I saunter up with beer in had and elastic shorts on to claim my medal, and from then on my buddy got my beer the rest of the night.

Anyway, great people, not pretentiousness, fun atmostphere. Good times had by all...did I mention all you can eat and all you can drink beer?). Check out the obligatory chubby photo with medal...yep, score one for us clydesdales.

Good on ya Big Guy!!! :cool:

William

tv_vt
09-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Bravo! Is it true that winning (or coming close) is good for the testosterone levels? :beer:

malcolm
09-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Congrats. First off you aint chubby, I could show you chubby but I'll spare you. I started off doing tri back in the dave scott, mike pigg days. Never made it to the podium, gave up tri as I was fairly certain I would drown. Stuck with cycling though. I've always thought the tri community was one of the most accepting and friendly of any sport I participated in. I'm glad to see it still seems to be that way.

avalonracing
09-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Nice work, Paul.

You would have won if you would have shaved your legs. ;)

bigflax925
09-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Good job, Paul. I'm a clyde, but would never even attempt a triathalon.

DreaminJohn
09-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Now I understand your screen name. :beer:

Congrats!

MattTuck
09-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Number 1. That's a phenomenal performance. Congratulations, you should be proud.

Number 2. Why would you sully a perfectly good bike ride with preceding swim, and then a run afterwards? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seriously, Nice job!! I am impressed with anyone who goes out and competes (as my wife has started doing Tri's also this year), I think it's great. I've thought about doing the bike leg of a relay, just to get in on the action.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Ahneida Ride
09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Yea !!!!!! :beer:

Mr. Squirrel
09-27-2010, 02:33 PM
you looked to be having so much fun i let you go. i must have been nuts.

mr. squirrel

AngryScientist
09-27-2010, 03:08 PM
good work!

rugbysecondrow
09-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks all. Appreciate the kind words and atta boys. The race was great and I have already put it on my calendar for next year.

Now that i am done with races, it is time to enjoy some fall riding... This is a great time of year in Maryland.

Thanks again, Paul

bluesea
09-27-2010, 07:10 PM
As a former competitive swimmer and runner who can't participate any more due to injuries--I salute you. :beer:

Dekonick
09-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Grats!

PS - Ride tomorrow?

tuxbailey
09-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Congrats!

Is that Centennial Lake?

firerescuefin
09-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Nice work, Paul.

You would have won if you would have shaved your legs. ;)

The price of vanity = second place!....looks like it's time to get out the Venus (women's razor) and get to work!

rugbysecondrow
09-27-2010, 09:50 PM
The price of vanity = second place!....looks like it's time to get out the Venus (women's razor) and get to work!

Sure, I think I would need some of this stuff then.

http://reflectsports.com/hoo-ha-ride-glide-usage