PDA

View Full Version : Dave hiatus...serotta forum resident campy expert

pdmtong
09-27-2010, 12:54 AM
I don't know "Dave" personally but have benefitted from his campy expertise over the years. Anyone else catch his comment in the classifieds that he's taking a few years off from riding?

Seems an opportune time for me to share my appreicationfor his expertise.

Thanks Dave

SamIAm
09-27-2010, 05:52 AM
I don't know "Dave" personally but have benefitted from his campy expertise over the years. Anyone else catch his comment in the classifieds that he's taking a few years off from riding?

Seems an opportune time for me to share my appreicationfor his expertise.

Thanks Dave

+100, guy knows his stuff!

soulspinner
09-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Almost always learn somethin from the guy when he posts....

AngryScientist
09-27-2010, 07:06 AM
dave is the man.

jblande
09-27-2010, 07:25 AM
i have been aided multiple times by dave's comments on the forum and in response to my questions. thanks for all your help, dave!!!

OtayBW
09-27-2010, 08:40 AM
I've been very impressed myself. Guy has helped me a bunch. :beer:
Thanks Dave.

oliver1850
09-27-2010, 10:00 AM

Dave
09-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the positive comments. I'll ride a little more this year, and then it will be on to my home building project. Riding hasn't been as much fun this year, wearing a leg brace to help my worn-out left knee joint last a little longer. If I ride again, I'll probably have a new knee joint. Maybe I'll buy into 2013 Campy. Nothing like a 60 year old man riding the latest Campy parts.

Maybe I'll post an occasional picture of the building activity. Ground breaking will be next spring. Even with my engineering and construction experience, I expect that acting as my own GC will be challenging. I'm already dealing with the typical poor soil issues that are common to Colorado. We have all sorts of soils and they are nearly all bad in some way - either poor load bearing capacity (500 psf), or expansive clay. The civil engineers have ways of dealing with the soil issues, but there's still no guarantee that no foundation problems will occur, after a house is built. My 10' tall basement walls will be sitting on about thirty 12" diameter concrete columns, bored another 25' deep into the "bedrock". Bedrock is claystone and shale that has some expansive nature – not exactly what I think of as rock, but at least it has good load bearing capacity (16,000 psf).

Matt-H
09-27-2010, 04:01 PM
i have been aided multiple times by dave's comments on the forum and in response to my questions. thanks for all your help, dave!!!

Ditto. Thanks, Dave.

Ralph
09-27-2010, 04:19 PM
I've also enjoyed your posts. Sorry about your injury. And....As a Florida guy who wants to move to the Loveland-Fort Collins area, I (and others) would enjoy hearing about your project....especially as the weather changes. If it weren't for family (wife's) here, kids and grandkids, I would be there. I think I could trade my paid for 3 car, 4 bdrm, pool home here in Central Florida for something decent to live in in your area. I would want something relatively small and simple, not a big home like you are building. I've already done that. Next home simple, low maintenabce, low utility bills. Good luck.

oliver1850
09-27-2010, 09:14 PM

pbjbike
09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
The 25' deep thingies are called caissons. Old school around here. Like brass brazing. Good luck on the building. :beer:

OtayBW
09-28-2010, 08:15 AM
I'm already dealing with the typical poor soil issues that are common to Colorado. We have all sorts of soils and they are nearly all bad in some way - either poor load bearing capacity (500 psf), or expansive clay. The civil engineers have ways of dealing with the soil issues, but there's still no guarantee that no foundation problems will occur, after a house is built. My 10' tall basement walls will be sitting on about thirty 12" diameter concrete columns, bored another 25' deep into the "bedrock". Bedrock is claystone and shale that has some expansive nature – not exactly what I think of as rock, but at least it has good load bearing capacity (16,000 psf).
Spread Na-carbonate (soda ash) around on the swelling clay soils to reduce the tendency to swell. Restrict surface and subsurface water from the site (berms, french drains, etc.). The shale itself is likely not going to shrink-swell at depth in your columns, but you may have other issues. Good luck....