PDA

View Full Version : need helping finding right builder

MonkeyHand
09-27-2010, 12:43 AM
So i have recently decided to buy my first custom frame. If anyone could give me any recommendations or pointers it would be a huge help.

Im looking for a carbon bike and have been leaning towards serotta but im not sure if its really worth the money.

Do custom frame prices drop as we get deeper into winter? can i find a custom MeiVici frame under 8.5k? can anyone recommend a good shop in the NYC area?

all information will be greatly appreciated.

pdmtong
09-27-2010, 12:49 AM
there have been 56 meivici's on this forum for sale. is it a bargain? well, the std anwser is only if it fits.

for custom carbon, there are many small shop choices
- serotta
- parlee
- IF
- seven
- calfee

for custom carbon, there are many small 1-2 person shop choices
- crumpton
- rue sports
- rrvelo
- kirklee
- carl strong

I am sure I missed a few, but this is the basic list....

MonkeyHand
09-27-2010, 12:59 AM
well maybe its just in my head but i have this view of a custom frame being a world of difference. Do you honestly think its stupid to spend the money on the custom fit? i feel like it will lock me in on a frame and prevent me from blowing money frame swapping left and right.

dd74
09-27-2010, 01:13 AM
I've been wrestling with the same question. And by all accounts, I've concluded that yes, it is worth it. Even if a person does not have a strangely-proportioned body, to actually have tubes, geometry and an overall build that suits your riding style seems (and I say that; "seems" because I haven't yet experienced a built-for-me frame), to be the most value a person can get out of a high-end bicycle. There also seem to be advantages beyond just the fit, and match to riding style. The economics of never really needing another frame again in your life is also a big plus, as is the fact that you know it wasn't built by some faceless robot overseas.

Check this site out for more information. It's definitely eye-opening.

http://masterbikefitters.com/how-to-buy-a-new-bike/bike-set-up-standards-for-new-bike-buyers

ergott
09-27-2010, 04:41 AM
well maybe its just in my head but i have this view of a custom frame being a world of difference. Do you honestly think its stupid to spend the money on the custom fit? i feel like it will lock me in on a frame and prevent me from blowing money frame swapping left and right.

The more you know about your own riding style, the better a custom bike experience can be.

With the exception of Serotta, Independent Fabrications and maybe a couple of others, I prefer builders that I can pick up the phone and call them. Give some of them a call and pick a builder that speaks the same language as you. Your priorities should line up.

Evey builder listed above will give you a bike to be completely satisfied with. I would tell you to pick the builder before you bother picking the material. For example if you choose Serotta, speak to the dealer about what you want from the bike before you settle on the material. Serotta makes excellent examples from steel, titanium and carbon and I'm willing to bet you could get the bike of your dreams in any one of them.

To you last question, I don't believe that established builders' prices fluctuate with the season. At best, some places might have a few frames they are closing out for various reasons, but a custom bike will cost the same year round (until the price goes up that is).

rugbysecondrow
09-27-2010, 07:44 AM
The more you know about your own riding style, the better a custom bike experience can be.

With the exception of Serotta, Independent Fabrications and maybe a couple of others, I prefer builders that I can pick up the phone and call them. Give some of them a call and pick a builder that speaks the same language as you. Your priorities should line up.

Evey builder listed above will give you a bike to be completely satisfied with. I would tell you to pick the builder before you bother picking the material. For example if you choose Serotta, speak to the dealer about what you want from the bike before you settle on the material. Serotta makes excellent examples from steel, titanium and carbon and I'm willing to bet you could get the bike of your dreams in any one of them.

To you last question, I don't believe that established builders' prices fluctuate with the season. At best, some places might have a few frames they are closing out for various reasons, but a custom bike will cost the same year round (until the price goes up that is).

Eric makes sense. I would find somebody who can make the bike do what you want and respond/ride the way you desire in the conditions in which you will ride. Unless there is a specific reason for carbon (or ti or steel) then it seems better to not back into a builder via materials, but select a builder with a great rep for producing and go from there (shameless plug for Kelly Bedford here).

Drjimbo
09-27-2010, 08:37 AM
I have worked with Signature Cycles in Manhattan and been very, very pleased with my custom Seven mountain and Parlee road bikes.

Also, Tom Kellog of Spectrum built me a terrific urban 10-speed - I cannot praise the fit, the quality of construction and the finish too much.

oliver1850
09-27-2010, 10:15 AM

Dekonick
09-27-2010, 07:56 PM

NO!!! It is worth every penny as long as you know how you will use the bike.

Once you know, then you are set. IF you are LUCKY you may fit on a stock frame. I don't. :crap: