PDA

View Full Version : CDA question - carbon stays

dd74
09-26-2010, 06:12 PM
In the event of an accident or damage, are the carbon stays on the CDA replaceable?

Thanks.

spartacus
09-27-2010, 04:07 AM
I would expect so, assuming the steel attachment points at either end are not damaged too. What happened?

Smiley
09-27-2010, 04:45 AM
Yes, As Long As Serotta makes these stays...having said that then my advice is to go with Steel stays since I think steel all around construction looks and rides better.

Chad Engle
09-27-2010, 12:09 PM
So carbon stays are a gimmick? ;-). Mine seem to work well.

spartacus
09-27-2010, 12:39 PM
So carbon stays are a gimmick? ;-). Mine seem to work well.

On a titanium frame with ST pivots the theory seems sound, but on a steel frame with CS 'pivots' is there a theory?

pdmtong
09-27-2010, 12:48 PM
I have a SSR with carbon stays. this is not the common comnfiguration. why? simply becasue people that want steel, often want ALL steel, for looks and for purity. In actuality, the carbon stays are lighter than their 953 equivalents. does it ride better? I really couldnt say.

dd74
09-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Yes, As Long As Serotta makes these stays...having said that then my advice is to go with Steel stays since I think steel all around construction looks and rides better.
I did once have a Cinelli frame, made from Columbus Spirit with Columbus Carve stays and fork. The ride was awful/very rigid. Maybe carbon has come a long way since then, particularly the carbon used by Serotta, and the ride could potentially be much better. But I was just wondering in case of a crash or damage, if the stays can be replaced.

As toward ensuring a nice ride, I probably would go all steel. The weight difference would be, what, 50 or so grams? I think I just ate that and more in a Del Taco burrito.

Brian Smith
09-27-2010, 08:09 PM
In the event of an accident or damage, are the carbon stays on the CDA replaceable?

Thanks.
Absolutely.
The carbon stay replacement procedure is extremely successful.

Chad Engle
09-28-2010, 07:33 AM
On a titanium frame with ST pivots the theory seems sound, but on a steel frame with CS 'pivots' is there a theory?

I don't know, what's the theory behind any bicycle frame built out of more than one material. Weight, ride quality, looks, etc...

The ST pivots could be place on a ti seatstay, no? Same result, maybe, I don't know?