PDA

View Full Version : Sidi ergo 2 vs DMT Radial - Anyone?

BdaGhisallo
09-26-2010, 07:08 AM
I am curious about how these two shoes fit in comparison. I know they are both italian and would probably fit similarly, but I am wondering specifically about foot volume. Sidis seem to work for me (and my orthotic) perfectly in terms of volume. I am looking for a shoe with the cleat bolt holes mounted a little further rearward than the Sidi and, from pics I have seen, the DMT may be it.

Can anyone help on either of those?

Thanks,
Geoff

93legendti
09-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Geoff, there have been 2-3 threads comparing Sidi and DMT in the past. They should be easy to find...

pdmtong
09-26-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm no volume expert but FWIW I wear a 44.5 in ergo2 and a 44 in DMT flash

09-26-2010, 12:34 PM
The new DMTs are a bit of a different fit from older models like the Ultimax and Flash, so those older threads may not be of so much use. I was just trying on shoes at Interbike with a couple friends during a slow moment and found the following:

The DMT is 1/2 to 1 size larger in any given size than the Sidi. This difference is larger in smaller sizes, less in very large sizes. The DMT also has more forefoot room on the sides and over the toes, but very slightly less over the ball of the foot. The heel is about the same on both, but the heel cup is more aggressive on the DMT and holds your heel a bit more. The straps on the Sidi are designed more to pull your foot down into the shoe, while the straps on the DMT are angled to pull your feet more back towards the heel, which improves heel retention and pulls your feet slightly backwards, creating a little more toe room in any given size. The uppers in the back of the DMT are noticeably taller, so they fit an orthotic quite a bit better. In terms of width, comparing the standard Sidi to the DMT, the DMT is slightly wider in the ball, about the same in the arch behind the ball, and perhaps slightly narrower in the heel (but note that given the way the straps work, the heel will always feel more secure in the DMT than in the Sidi).

The sole of the DMT is relatively flat, without the pronounced upward bend of the Sidi. This can affect fit and comfort in different sizes. In small Sidis the bend puts the cleat forward of the bend, which is probably appropriate. In some sizes you have a problem with the cleat landing behind the bend, so you are basically pedaling on a flat sole with your toes flexed upwards. I'm not sure about the suitability of this bend overall -- it's styled after a flexed running shoe but Sidi acknowledges that it puts pressure on your metatarsal heads and sesamoid bones; if you are older or have any arthritis or bone issues, you may have sensitivity with that. The flex also takes part of the muscles of your foot out of action that would otherwise help your ankling motion. I personally have found I much prefer a flatter sole for this reason; on the track I see a very striking improvement in pedaling strength through the top and bottom of the stroke with a flat sole. Fewer and fewer shoe manufacturers seem to be using this flexed-toe design, but Sidi seems to do it with even more angle than they used to.

DMT also allows you to relocate the ratchet buckle by about a centimeter. This not only just gives you more strap length to work with, but it changes the way the strap compresses your foot. Definitely try both positions, because one may be much more comfortable than the other.

BdaGhisallo
09-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks very much. That helps a great deal.