PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Speed City freehub body advice sought.

d_douglas
09-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I acquired a Campy freehub body about a year ago with the intention of swapping my shimano body on my Speed Citys in order to run a Campy drivetrain with disc brakes.

I took it into a shop to do the swap and they have reported back that the freehub swap will not work. I don't have the Campy freehub with me at the moment, but I believe it is an FTS-L - the same as the Shiimano one on the rear now.

The mechanic said that they are simply two different things and there's no way that it'll work because the rear hub is 135mm and not 130mm. Does this matter? I assume that this would have no effect other than possibly 5mm of unsupported axle length.

Has anyone here done this switch? If so, what do I need?

Right now my option is to use 10spd Veloce shifters with a 9spd Shimano cassette - an option that my cross racing buddy says works for him. This is an acceptable alternative, but I would really prefer to have a proper Campy drivetrain.

Your expertise is appreciated...

Darren

oldpotatoe
09-25-2010, 06:42 PM
I acquired a Campy freehub body about a year ago with the intention of swapping my shimano body on my Speed Citys in order to run a Campy drivetrain with disc brakes.

I took it into a shop to do the swap and they have reported back that the freehub swap will not work. I don't have the Campy freehub with me at the moment, but I believe it is an FTS-L - the same as the Shiimano one on the rear now.

The mechanic said that they are simply two different things and there's no way that it'll work because the rear hub is 135mm and not 130mm. Does this matter? I assume that this would have no effect other than possibly 5mm of unsupported axle length.

Has anyone here done this switch? If so, what do I need?

Right now my option is to use 10spd Veloce shifters with a 9spd Shimano cassette - an option that my cross racing buddy says works for him. This is an acceptable alternative, but I would really prefer to have a proper Campy drivetrain.

Your expertise is appreciated...

Darren

Not really sure but if it's like the FTS body on a road bike, the axle ends make it 130mm, not the freehub body. Have the shop show you the difference between the road and MTB body, for shimano.

Pete Serotta
09-26-2010, 05:51 PM
:beer: PETE