PDA

View Full Version : SS mtb gearing advice needed

dogdriver
09-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Hey all--

I've been running my 29er mtb SS with a 34 (not 32) / 22 gear for a while. It was starting to feel a little too easy-- too quick to spin out on shallow climbs and not a huge challenge on the steeper ones. I borrowed a 20t freewheel from a bud and gave it a try on the local hills-- about a 10% increase over the 22t. I liked the feel on the mellow stuff-- better cadence over rollers and on the flats. It was, however, freakin' HARD, but doable, on the climbs.

My question-- Should I man up, stick with a brutal climbing gear in the assumption that I'll adapt to it and get stronger on the climbs, or would it be best to split the difference and do a 21t gear (a 5% or so increase)? I'm a casual ss rider (generally 1:15 to 1:30 rides with 1500 or so feet of vertical) and don't have a good idea as to gear changes that the big boys make.

Attached for your amusement is a gear chart from Sheldon Brown's calculator.

Advice, abuse, and insults about feminine hygiene issues are welcome...

Thanks, Chris

(Also posted across the hall)

Cantdog
09-25-2010, 12:50 PM
I ride a 34/20 on my SS 29er when it's hilly, and a 34/18 when its flat. Last race had ~7000ft vertical over 50mi and the 34/20 was fine for me. Oh, I was on 175 cranks but have since switched to 180.

Ride it a while, adjust, and forget about the gearing. Sometimes I freak out thinking about gear inches and the numbers get in your head, and you convince yourself you are riding something too hard, too easy, etc. Now, a jump between a 16 and 20 is pretty noticeable, but I really only notice the 18/20 difference on flats or roads when I can pedal a little bit longer before spinning 120rpms.

In short, sack up and forget about it and ride your bike. :banana:

rinconryder
09-25-2010, 01:42 PM
My philosophy has always been gear for the climbs. Downhill is irrelevant and you are always going to be under-geared on the flats, no matter what. It really depends on what your preference is - I try to stay in the saddle as much as possible and therefore opt for the 32/22 set up but I am also climbing some pretty steep stuff and still standing up maybe 5-10% of the time. I could do it on a 20, but felt like I was beating myself up too much. The real strength from the SS comes from staying seated so whatever keeps you in the saddle I think is best.

john903
09-25-2010, 03:35 PM
I ride a redline flight monocog with 32x22. We have long climbs and lots of short steep pitches. I agree with rinconryder gear, for the climbs. I can spin up (realitivly speaking) on the climbs then when the trail is tight and twisty with short pitches I stand up and use the momentum to pop up the short bits.
Yes decents I spin out redicuiously quickly and on the flats I just spin and use this spin time as recovery until the next climb. I guess it is a good thing I like climbing. A suggestion would be to ride a friends geared 29er and pick several gears over the course of a ride and see how it goes.
Have fun.