PDA

View Full Version : Really, you locked up already!

Jason E
09-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Moderators,

That thread was not even open for 24 hours! A lot of long time users did not get to post, as many had pointed out, we are busy, have work and family, and sometimes check only a few times a week. Instead of locking up, perhaps it should have been made a sticky so that some honest opinions could have been given. I am offering my opinion in this matter for no other reason then I want to.

I have been a member for nearly the entire time, having altered my account and starting over 5 years ago. Sometimes I post a lot, sometimes I do not post for months at a time.

It is my opinion that it is not the setting of the rules that are upsetting to the forum as much as the arbitrary application and enforcement, as in the case of a long time member being given an arbitrary "contribute more".

Honestly, if we are not at each others throats killing each other, and if somebody is not ripping members off, then your role is that of Forum Member. It seems that some of you are too fast to pull out the "Moderator" card, judging the quality and direction of the threads that a lot of us have no problem with. Quite often threads are locked down with a trigger finger, and even worse, jokes that most get are criticized by the mods because they do not get the popular cultural reference.

I think instead of telling us you have the best intent of the forum at heart, I think some introspection is in order. Perhaps a re-evaluation of how this board is moderated, followed by an honest and open discussion of policy would solve these issues.

I think if a lot of members are pointing out concerns with some of the judgments and actions, then the only fair thing to do is consider those opinions. That is, if we are a community.

Steve in SLO
09-24-2010, 08:14 PM

indyrider
09-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Well, I for one, am in agreement...One mod in particular has a trigger finger and I know you know who you are....His beef with me extends multiple years back before he even thought about being a mod and atmo, he abuses it with me....that, sucks

e-RICHIE
09-24-2010, 08:30 PM
<cut> before he even thought about being a mod and atmo <snip>

you can be one, or the other, but not both atmo...

ps

arrange disorder

;) ;) ;)
;) ;) ;)
:) :p :p

pbjbike
09-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Nothing personal :), but how does that work for you? I would think it would be hard to contribute a contentious thread and moderate it at the same time.

Steve in SLO
09-24-2010, 09:15 PM
pbjbike,
Please understand, I, Steve in SLO was just funnin' :beer:
Please understand I am not SoCalSteve.

If this keeps up I am going to have to change my handle to 'not SoCalSteve'

Jason E
09-24-2010, 09:23 PM
pbjbike,

If you do that your post count will get reset and you won't be able to advertise in the classifieds until you get enough posts. :beer:

csm
09-24-2010, 09:32 PM
so another thread gets locked? and I missed the fun?
I've got to start hanging out here more.

pbjbike
09-24-2010, 09:37 PM
pbjbike,

I KNOW that, but the avatar confusion is too funny. :banana: :beer: :banana: I was just responding to Richard's post.

csm
09-24-2010, 09:43 PM
I don't read the classifieds very much.

Steve in SLO
09-25-2010, 12:47 AM
If you do that your post count will get reset and you won't be able to advertise in the classifieds until you get enough posts. :beer:
Not to worry. I can knock out 20+ vapid posts in about an hour, and be back to makin' millions by lunchtime.

yngpunk
09-25-2010, 06:29 AM
pbjbike,

Saint Stephen with a rose
In and out of the garden he goes
Country garland in the wind and the rain
Wherever he goes the people all complain

--Lyrics by Robert Hunter, Music by Jerry Garcia

I was just waiting to toss this out there...

Cheers,

Bruce K
09-25-2010, 09:42 AM
We are not going to be able to please all of the members all of the time.

We do the best we can and yes, sometimes we have to make "snap decisions".

They are not always going to be right but I hope we are "mensch" enough to admit and correct major errors if we make them.

There is no time limit to keeping a thread open and it is not always productive to leave threads which appear to be heading in a poor direction open or even up.

Some times it feels like we are herding cats trying to satisfy the majority of members who sometimes forget this is Serotta's forum and the mods are volunteers who (again) are trying to do the best we can to provide a place that works for the greatest number of members.

Positive input is always welcome, even if you don't agree with something that was done. Negativity helps none of us.

Time to go for a ride.... :bike:

BK

Kirk007
09-25-2010, 09:48 AM
and it hasn't even started raining yet, oh my....

My only comment: in most things, less is more.

AndrewS
09-25-2010, 09:56 AM
I just realized that I have NO IDEA who moderates this board. Every other forum I recall the Mods had "Moderator" under their names, and it said "Moderated by..." at the top so you knew who was what.

Here we have something at the bottom that will tell you which mods are currently reading, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

No wonder Steve in SLO has such a hard time; all the mods are plainclothes.

Jason E
09-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Interesting, it has been locked for nearly a day, yet some can post and add to the 'historic record'.

"Although all the animals were equal, some were more equal than others"

Pete Serotta
09-25-2010, 12:31 PM

and wine in the spring,,,, :beer:

dogdriver
09-25-2010, 12:36 PM
and it hasn't even started raining yet, oh my....

My only comment: in most things, less is more.

Yeah, its generally best not to write down anything you don't have to...

As an aside, it looks like they just instituted a "100 posts to sell something" rule across the hall.

fourflys
09-25-2010, 01:10 PM
you know guys, will this thread do ANYTHING except cause more arguing? I'm all for free speech/posting, but to start a thread of this vain is just argumentative and of no use IMHO... If you have a beef with the forum, please contact Serotta Pete and take it up with him as the head moderator...

Come on all, let's not act like we're in grade school and keep opening threads about locked threads...

Chris, who had a great dirt ride this morning!

BumbleBeeDave
09-25-2010, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=Jason E]. . . . and even worse, jokes that most get are criticized by the mods because they do not get the popular cultural reference.[QUOTE]

(Note: Insert sound of "Oncoming Sarcasm Alarm" going off--Ah-OO-Gah! Ah-OO-Gah!)

I did this some weeks ago. When someone explained it to me I got the joke.

Apparently I spend too much time doing totally useless things--like working, or riding my bike, or maybe having a relationship with my girlfriend--to watch enough TV and play enough video games and read all the popular blogs (at least, the ones that are poprular this week) to be able to keep up on all the cultural references so I will understand every joke made here that "most" get. Sorry about that.

Apparently, NONE of us mods are attentive enough, because we obviously don't spend 24 hours a day here monitoring every thread and engaging in deep discussions in the Moderators section about when and whether to close a thread. I say "obviously" because it's also obvious that some threads get monitored heavily and some don't. Some go on way longer than they should before getting closed and some get closed quickly because one of us happens to look at them sooner. Again, sorry about that. Maybe we'll all be perfect next week.

My own feeling after being on here for 9 years and being a mod for, gosh, how long has it been now? Don't know . . . Anyway, my feeling is that all of us mods could wear capes and tights and outrace speeding locomotives and we would STILL not make everybody happy, so I've reached the point of just saying if someone decides we're not the crowd for them, then they are always free to vote with their feet. That's what many have done, sometimes with fanfare, sometimes not, and the forum is still here and has many interesting, engaging people on it and still serves a lot of good up to a lot of people.

Oh, and I've also changed my sig to make it a bit more obvious I'm a mod so everyone can tell who's culturally challenged and who to bitch at.

BBD

bluesea
09-25-2010, 02:04 PM
The way Molly47 was treated by the moderator in question was not only unfortunate, but also showed lack of judgement.

It does not seem fair to implement a new qualification, based upon an historical posting criterion, by PMing just one individual. A universal rule applicable to all members would have been the more effective way of accomplishing that moderator's stated goal.

Bruce K
09-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Maybe so but the forum is not a swap shop either.

We hope folks are here for more than just the classifieds.

That said, it's probably time to move on.

BK
Another one of "those pesky moderators"

AndrewS
09-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Did I offend you guys by wondering aloud who the Mods are?

I just think there's a bit of difference between a member and a moderator voicing their opinion something in the forum.

It's also good to know who has the power to make your ad posting a sticky. ;)

SoCalSteve
09-25-2010, 02:44 PM
The way Molly47 was treated by the moderator in question was not only unfortunate, but also showed lack of judgement.

It does not seem fair to implement a new qualification, based upon an historical posting criterion, by PMing just one individual. A universal rule applicable to all members would have been the more effective way of accomplishing that moderator's stated goal.

I am the mod in question. I did not single out one individual. My PM's went out to many people over the last few days. Some complied, some decided to move on. It's sad that people decided to move on, but if they only wanted to use our Forum as a place to sell bike parts, then maybe it's better they go elsewhere.

And, I changed the " universal rule" as well. Please read it here:Classified Section Rules (http://http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=823842&postcount=1)

Again, this is not a personal attack against one individual.

I hope we can all move on and chat about more interesting topics ( both bike and non bike related).

ergott
09-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Bottom line, agree with the mods or move on. All this whining is really lame. They work this site and have the blessing of Serotta. It's a private entity and we are all privileged to be here. Don't like it. Move on. Others have and are quite happy. Don't like that place, make your own forum. Some places charge to sell gear. I think it's pretty damn nice of Serotta to offer this FREE service. If you don't like the rules...

These guys will never please everyone.

nm87710
09-25-2010, 04:00 PM
So the classified forum section is so unique, special, valuable, etc. that it should be rationed?

IMO, those offering items in the classified section are doing a favor to the forum community since most items sold in the classifieds would sell at a net higher price on Ebay. I've sold many items down both channels and Ebay wins by a long shot if maximizing net sales is the goal. It's not that hard to imagine since Ebay reaches a broader cycling audience and forum members want a better deal than they can already get on Ebay(ok, so we're cheap).

Personally, I'd much rather have someone with 10 posts selling a pair of like-new handlebars at 70% off retail because they just don't feel right than read more drivel or OT threads from someone with 1,000s of posts. Yet, I don't think loquacious posters should be banned or forced to sell more stuff if their discussion/sales ratio isn't up to snuff.

A healthy community is one where people contribute in their own way rather than one way.

Pete Serotta
09-25-2010, 04:35 PM
We all are moving to more interesting threads. Molly could have also had a discussion in more detail. The action was mine and this is the end of discussion unless she would like to contact me and discuss. She can easily become an active member of entire forum, at least sometimes. Pete

rugbysecondrow
09-25-2010, 05:35 PM
you know guys, will this thread do ANYTHING except cause more arguing? I'm all for free speech/posting, but to start a thread of this vain is just argumentative and of no use IMHO... If you have a beef with the forum, please contact Serotta Pete and take it up with him as the head moderator...

Come on all, let's not act like we're in grade school and keep opening threads about locked threads...

Chris, who had a great dirt ride this morning!
Agreed, thanks

Lifecycle
09-26-2010, 08:10 AM
I am a very new member here so If i'm over the line here well then I guess the mods can delete this.

I'm not a racer or a mechanic or team owner just a regular joe who loves to ride and probably would be considered a huge gear head

as i said I love to ride and I gather up what I think (from minimal knowledge)
frames and parts and build up bikes from time to time - Ride them fpr a while
and Improve on them from time to time or even swap or sell them

So in my opinion my required input here in the general discusion is probably of no value - unless its somehting i have experienced and at that time I will way in. being as in-experienced as I am more than likely alot of the stuff I run across has already been delt with or spoken about.

So that right there leaves me a little skidish as to weighing in...

so bottom line here is I guess I will never get to post in the classifieds .
oh well- I don't know how to post pics there anyways- so I will just continue to learn from alot of you more knowledgeable people

Thanks

William
09-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Hey folks, I haven't really been on-line for a few days.....so, what's up?

William :rolleyes: :p

gone
09-26-2010, 09:33 AM
I am a very new member here so If i'm over the line here well then I guess the mods can delete this.

One more post and you're there!

Norm Swift
09-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Personally, I'd much rather have someone with 10 posts selling a pair of like-new handlebars at 70% off retail because they just don't feel right than read more drivel or OT threads from someone with 1,000s of posts. Yet, I don't think loquacious posters should be banned or forced to sell more stuff if their discussion/sales ratio isn't up to snuff.

A healthy community is one where people contribute in their own way rather than one way.

+1 for using the word "loquacious" and also a feeble attempt to boost my anemic post count. Since "shrink this frame by 2 cm and I'll buy it", etc. don't apply to the OP this is the best I can do to bump my Post total.

Norm

csm
09-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Maybe so but the forum is not a swap shop either.

We hope folks are here for more than just the classifieds.

That said, it's probably time to move on.

BK
Another one of "those pesky moderators"

what is the harm in it being a swap shop? I don't think it detracts from the general discussion.

Kevan
09-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Ride called due to excessive pissing.

Bruce K
09-26-2010, 03:50 PM
csm;

The classifieds have always been here as a service to forum members (originally owners but that change a LONG time ago).

It was never intended (nor is it now intended) to be a Craig's List or eBay.

If participants in this forum want to trade, sell, etc. that's one thing but to be here only to sell stuff is not what this area of the forum is about.

Sorry if that offends some but "across the hall" they just upped the minimum post count for selling in the classifieds to a minimum 30 day membership and 100 posts so I think we are being more than reasonable.

That said, it's time to move on to other topics.

The equine here is quite deceased.

BK

Pete Serotta
09-26-2010, 05:09 PM
YEP.....from my personal view of that behavior it is not right for the purpose and value of the forum which is funded completely by SEROTTA.

.... Folks that sell that much, I am willing to bet, that they have a very good experience level with LOTS of bike stuff that they could also share.

Why is that not shared - - :confused:

This is beaten past hurting for many..... If some get mad - get mad at me for it is only I closing this one for good. Other notes are welcome to start

As a side note, why have these mega sale posters not even offered an understanding of their view :confused:

PETE :crap: