PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Ksyrium Equipe. Am I screwed?

Bob Loblaw
09-24-2010, 05:45 PM
I got these wheels as takeoffs from a buddy's bike. They had maybe 1k miles on them when I got them, and I have put probably 8k miles on them in the two seasons I've had them.

They have been great! Bomb-proof, never out of true, light enough.

Anyway, I was cleaning the bike, and noticed a crack across one of the spoke holes on the rear wheel. Quite disappointing, as I consider 8k miles about 30% used up.

Anyway, everything else on both wheels is fine. I'm no stranger to wheel building and repair. The problem is parts. Is there any way to get my hands on a new Equipe rim? Is it cost-prohibitive? Any insight? Should i just start laying plans to lace up a sexy pair of traditional wheels? Luckily this is my backup bike, so it's not the end of the world, but it needs to be resolved.

Thanks!

BL

AndrewS
09-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Well, maybe not quite "bomb proof".

I found a front rim on Amazon. I'll bet you can get one from somewhere for less than the cost of a wheel.

RADaines
09-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Excel Sports is showing a front Ksyerium Equipe in black on close out for $139. Sorry, I can't figure out how to paste a link with my iPad. Just search on Mavic.

bike22
09-24-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't really understand why the previous two posters are suggesting places to buy a front wheel

?

rice rocket
09-24-2010, 06:17 PM
AndrewS said rim, not wheel.

But either way, cheaper to replace the wheel.

RADaines
09-24-2010, 06:19 PM
I have never seen the Equipe as anything other than a complete prebuilt wheel.

Bob Loblaw
09-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the input.

According to my research (read: web surfing today), I'm not the first to have this problem. I guess this is the excuse I've been waiting for to to build up a set of 32/28 hole wheels. It will be a fun off-season project.

BL

stephenmarklay
09-24-2010, 10:15 PM
I have had a set that have performed really well for several years. Not sure of the miles but if you like them maybe it is worth by a new wheel. Hey do both since they are pretty cheap. Buy a new one and build another.

I have not built a wheel in some years but it does sound like fun.