PDA

View Full Version : Saddle preferences survey

AndrewS
09-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Hello. If you found a saddle you liked (shape/fit, weight, price) which choice of the following three features would do you prefer to see? You should be able to vote more than once, but try to vote for one category or the other for a total of three votes. Your comments about your preferences are especially valuable.

I realize that this survey does not really cover Brooks and the like, or all carbon. But I'd like to know what you guys like within the context of the modern molded body saddle.

buck-50
09-24-2010, 03:18 PM
If the shape and fit are good, the price doesn't matter.

If the price is good, the shape and fit are less important.

If it's light but the shape and fit are bad, I won't buy it.

So, shape and fit #1. I'll deal with a heavy saddle if it fits right. That's why I love my brooks saddles.

Price, #2. I'll put up with a less well fitting saddle if it's cheap.

Light, #3. I weigh over 200 pounds. It really doesn't make a difference.

AndrewS
09-24-2010, 03:24 PM
I think I might not have been clear. The appropriate price, weight and fit are the givens (that the saddle meets your basic needs). The variables are the padding, shell and look. Thanks.

Nil Else
09-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Shell: I don't care either way as long as they are smooth, good quality and have NO STITCHING

Padding: Minimal, again, as long as NO STITCHING

Color: Black... and some white... I thought of an orange Arione to go with orange bar tape on my RaboBank bike. Prefer solid colors.

Charles M
09-24-2010, 06:52 PM
If the others are given (rare with fit)

I prefer the saddle that goes well with the bike...

rugbysecondrow
09-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Leather and whatever matches. Also, small rivets. :)

OtayBW
09-24-2010, 07:10 PM
For me:
1) Correct fit/width (most important).
2) Very firm with just the right amount of compliance.

If it works, I don't care if it's got 'Hello Kitty' stickers all over it!
Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow - best saddle I ever rode; last saddle I expect to ever buy. :banana:

AndrewS
09-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Thank you for your votes and comments so far. I'm trying to figure out whether to get involved in a saddle project, and this survey really helps give me a feel for the market.

I especially appreciate the comments on stitches and rivets. It does seem like simple is better for most.

I had thought gel would do better, but it isn't trailing as far behind as Lorica (yea - leather!). It was also nice to see that some would be interested in a modern seat in brown leather - something that is pretty hard to get at present

Please keep your comments and votes coming! Thanks!

bobswire
09-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Love the Toupe for style, material and comfort.

67-59
09-25-2010, 09:32 AM
1. Padding - less is more.

2. Color - used to like black, but my next saddle (and bar tape, hoods) will be white.

3. Material - leather is preferred, but a nice synthetic would be fine.

And I agree that stitching is a no-no. :no:

oliver1850
09-25-2010, 10:40 AM

corky
09-25-2010, 10:45 AM
interestingly I just stripped an old carbonio slr (with cutout) of the leather and foam, sanded down and removed all the glue and just for a laugh rode it. It's been on a bike now for a month and is just as comfortable as it's always been.

I'm thinking of just painting it and clearcoat.

platbr
09-25-2010, 10:46 AM
For me the saddle needs to be very firm, but I suspect preference as to shape/style is as individual as anatomy. The Fizik Antares fits me perfectly (and I now have three of them) -- but I'm not sure if that shape works for everyone.

As for graphics, the reserved black & white is on two of my bikes, and the gawdy neon yellow test saddle found its way to my CX bike (it was $60 .. what can I say). Preferences is definitely simple, basic colors (probably even just black and/or white).

Lastly, remember that many of the functional shape features of a saddle may be patented. A friend recently worked on a patent infringement matter dealing with the "junk channel" that seems to be so popular.

avalonracing
09-25-2010, 10:48 AM
A plain black Aliante is all but perfect. They replaced the plain black Flites that I rode for years.

Pyramor
09-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Been riding a Brooks B-17 for years on one bike and a Arione on my go fast. Both were becoming uncomfortable with increased mileage and lower bars. Bought a Specialized Romin after sit bone measurement (Arione is much too narrow). Much better except it has no padding to speak of, but will trade a bit of sit bone discomfort for no numbness. Going to try a Toupe in place of the Brooks.

xjoex
09-25-2010, 05:13 PM
I am a fan of the original Flite. I am so psyched they reintroduced it.

http://soulrun.com/img/flite.jpg
-Joe

martinrjensen
09-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Padding should not be in this pool. Gel is not a color or style component, it's there for comfort and fit, which is already assumed. I mean if you find a saddle that fits and feels good who would want additional Gel on it?

Quote: I think I might not have been clear. The appropriate price, weight and fit are the givens (that the saddle meets your basic needs). The variables are the padding, shell and look. Thanks.

EDIT: I will say that I did online research and saw favorable reviews on my saddle (Fizik Aliante) but my initial attraction to it was looks. if it didn't feel good though, I would not have bought one for for every single one of my bikes (5)...

dimsy
09-25-2010, 05:52 PM
always black, synthetic or regular leather, but preferably a race style, like the toupe, selle slr's, fizik's, etc... i'm all for color coordination, but i like it to be in the disposables, like tires, tape and even cable housing.

Ralph
09-25-2010, 06:15 PM
I have some coccyx issues, so need a saddle where there is no contact with that area. So need a cut out, and need it firm. Soft causes me problems. I'm about 160 and 5' 10". Trying to get to about 150. I figure the less weight on my butt the better, not to mention having to lug it up and down hills. I tend to ride with lower bars and a flatter back than most 69 year olds....it helps my butt.

There may be other saddles that would work for me, but I'm currently using (with success) Specialized Alias (143 MM width) on both my bikes. I like the firm flat platform. Price is OK, and weight is light enough. I'm able to ride about 120 miles per week now with no major problems.

AndrewS
09-26-2010, 08:32 PM
I appreciate everyone's comments and votes. The results are fairly conclusive, but it looks like variations would always have a market, too.
Thanks!

BengeBoy
09-26-2010, 10:19 PM
If it works, I don't care if it's got 'Hello Kitty' stickers all over it!
We need a separate poll on this -- black, or pink?

http://i52.tinypic.com/elbdrn.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/3446r1u.jpg