PDA

View Full Version : Since we're talking wheels, let's talk hubs - what's the verdict on straight pull?

Louis
09-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Shimano certainly seems to like them and they eliminate what has always been for me the number one failure location - the bend in the spoke. Of course that comes at the cost of a somewhat clunky-looking hub.

So bottom line - in your experience are straight-pull hubs an overall benefit or not?

Louis

DRZRM
09-23-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm 6'3" 220, and I've broken several (a bunch) of traditional spokes over the years (mostly on MTBs, but a few on road). I now have mostly straight pull wheels (Cane Creeks, Krysium SL, Crossmax) and have yet to damage a spoke, so I'd say they work. That said, I have two sets of traditional wheels built around Phil Wood hubs for my single speed MTB and my fixie, and I've had no trouble in recent years. Maybe I've become a more delicate rider in my old age.

ergott
09-23-2010, 03:03 PM
If built right, It's not the elbow that are the problem.

Straight pull is nice, but you are limited to specific builds with crossed patterns and there is no calculation for spoke length. You have to guess at the spoke length knowing what the ERD and spoke length is for a similar set to the one you want to build (ask me how I know that one).

Front hubs don't have this problem, but you run into another problem. The bearings have to sit far enough inside the hub shell to allow the spokes to go in when building. This less than ideal when dealing with axles and bearings typically used.

I basically think they solve a problem that isn't there. Build the wheels right in the first place and j-bends give you more options and more regularly available spokes/builds to work with.

Louis
09-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys.

I'll stick to j-spokes.