PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Campy

Dave
09-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I saw this link posted on another site. It details the changes for some of the 2011 groups. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFA2s3Q6GQ4

A couple of items stand out. The right shifter has been changed to improve the cable friction issue.

The dual pivot rear brake is an option, not standard.

Those wanting an all aluminum groupo can now get it with Athena - no black aluminum or carbon. Too bad the shifter doesn't have the improved ultrashift mechanism.

Pete Serotta
09-23-2010, 10:57 AM
THanks Dave.....

PETE

thegunner
09-23-2010, 11:05 AM
seems like athena '11 took a step backward... no (except for the ones who wanted the alloy look i guess)?

2011 looks like the year i make the switch to chorus though... :D

jlwdm
09-23-2010, 12:53 PM
It is amazing how every part is lighter (and stronger) but it only adds up to 44 or 51 grams less. Fine tuning.

Jeff

crownjewelwl
09-23-2010, 12:59 PM
My guess is Campy could've made all these changes when they came out with 11 speed a couple of years back. But why would they do that for their customers? :confused:

It's like when Porsche miraculously gets 30 more horsepower the year after a platform change...

Ralph
09-23-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm currently in the market for some new Centaur Ultra shifters and a Centaur Compact crankset. Any reason to wait for 2011 models. Good sales on the 2010's now. Ribble pretty cheap now on 2010's. The new crank might be an improvement....otherwise.....just more marketing hype it sounds to me.

Lewym
09-23-2010, 06:38 PM
If you want Centuar and multiple upshift functionality, buy the 2010s now. For 2011, 10sp + Athena were deprecated to only allow a single upshift with the right thumb button. There have been some recent threads on this. The rationale seems to be simplified mechanics to hit a price-point that would be competitive for OEM. The cynic might say that Campy is trying to create feature differentiation and drive more upsell to Chorus. You decide.

So if you care about the ability to drop the chain multiple cogs, buy 2010 shifters now.

There were changes to the crankset for 10sp + Athena as well. I doubt that they are improvements - more likely manufacturing simplifications to hit a price point for OEM. But I don't know whether the changes to the crankset from Ultra Torque to "Power Torque" would be noticable to the average rider or represent an obvious functional deprecation like the change in the shifters to "Power Shift."

leooooo
09-24-2010, 07:05 AM
seems like athena '11 took a step backward... no (except for the ones who wanted the alloy look i guess)?

2011 looks like the year i make the switch to chorus though... :D

I believe that would be the only reason, will definitely look good on a classic steel build. Just a company doing what a company should do, tapping an untapped market.