PDA

View Full Version : wheelbuilders

vqdriver
09-22-2010, 06:55 PM
joe young apparently can't get hed rims, so are there any other recommended builders? maybe even local to los angeles?

false_Aest
09-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Ask SoCalSteve he's got a guy at Helens in Santa Monica. (Wilbur maybe)

I've been speaking to Eric (Ergott) a bit lately. He's been super helpful and contributes to wheel building discussions at other forums.

ThasFACE
09-22-2010, 07:28 PM
I got a set from Wheelbuilder and my experience was great. Quick service and the wheels are the business.

Jason E
09-22-2010, 07:30 PM
I've got a lot of Ergott Wheels, and back up those comments, but I am biased as I have known him a long time.

Eric, myself, and one other friend have been pals for than 20 years. We always get pissed behind Eric's back because pretty much anything Eric picks up, he masters in about 4 seconds. :) Computers, musical instruments, engine repair, and wheel building. He could have been a brain surgeon. He's one of those guys.

Anyway, this translates to his wheel building. He's laid back, practical, and meticulous.

I have no idea if he does HED though, so all this may not help.

SoCalSteve
09-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Ask SoCalSteve he's got a guy at Helens in Santa Monica. (Wilbur maybe)

I've been speaking to Eric (Ergott) a bit lately. He's been super helpful and contributes to wheel building discussions at other forums.

Either Wilbur @ Helen's Santa Monica or Wheelbuilder.com (local in LA as well).

Both are highly recommended.

Good luck!

vqdriver
09-22-2010, 08:02 PM
cool. thanks.

veloduffer
09-22-2010, 08:04 PM
joe young apparently can't get hed rims, so are there any other recommended builders? maybe even local to los angeles?

If you want rims similar to HED, Joe can get Velocity A23 rims. He built me a sent with White Indust hubs - they're great so far but I don't have a ton of miles on them yet.

You could probably buy the HED rims on your own and send them to Joe to build up.

echelon_john
09-22-2010, 08:15 PM
he really can't get heds? i know of a few wheelbuilders with much less bona fides who can...plus you can buy the C2s through QBP for less than HED sells them direct....?

malcolm
09-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I've got several sets from Eric (Ergott) great wheels, does what he says when he says he will.
Jeremy at alchemy is also very good and reliable as is Dave Thomas at speed dreams
Have no idea if these guys work with Hed or not

Jack Brunk
09-22-2010, 09:30 PM
I've had great success with Wheelbuilder.com t hrough Newbury Park Bicycles and a builder in Phoenix by the name if SLRPE wheelworks. His name is Steve Liming and he's been building wheels for 30 years and does a heck of job. I've pounded the piss out of his wheels and they just flat out work. He gives a very detailed worksheet of the exact build with tensions etc of stuff that I don't really care about.

Uncle Jam's Army
09-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I second Jeremy at Alchemy. He's building up a third set of wheels for me (laced around his Alchemy hubs). On top of a great set of wheels, he and Sarah are some of the nicest people you'll ever deal with.

roguedog
09-22-2010, 11:20 PM
perfect timing. i was totally looking into who could build up some c2 rims.

thanks for the thread and the recommendations. adding this to my subscription list for when i have the $ for this...

William
09-23-2010, 04:21 AM
Dave Thomas built me some wheels that were bomb proof.....and that's saying something under my big self.

Easy to work with, timely, and reasonably priced.

William

PS: I know a few folks that have gone with Ergott and have been very happy. I've corresponded with him on a few occasions about building me up some wheels but something always fell through on my end so I haven't pulled the trigger there yet....and I'm sure he's sick of hearing from me. :crap: :)

ergott
09-23-2010, 06:01 AM
....and I'm sure he's sick of hearing from me. :crap: :)

Hey I still have a set of titanium colored Aeroheads 36 hole with your name on them;-) Bother me anytime you like. How could I say no so someone with nunchuck skills?

http://thesquigglyline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/gallery_napoleon_dynamite_1.jpg

OP
I have only heard good things about the HED rims, but I have yet to try them myself. They are much more expensive then what I work with and I haven't had a reason to stray. I use Kinlin and Stan's. Stan's rims gives me two nice wide rim options and their tubeless rim design is second to none. I personally use 4 different sets of wheels with them both tubeless and with tubes and standard tires. The Velocity A23 is another less expensive option.

PS
Thanks J. I really mean it. You are good folk and can't wait to ride again in a couple of months. I'll let you know when we go out of town so you can "borrow" the house.

William
09-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Hey I still have a set of titanium colored Aeroheads 36 hole with your name on them;-) Bother me anytime you like. How could I say no so someone with nunchuck skills?

http://thesquigglyline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/gallery_napoleon_dynamite_1.jpg

Napoleon taught me everything!! ;) He told me to talk to you about Track wheels.

Titanium colored Aeroheads.....ahh man! Twist my arm!! :D

William

bluesea
09-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Erg-argh--I'd like an Alchemy hub set next please.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8506/dsc00531dn.jpg

ergott
09-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Damn those are hot!

hokoman
09-23-2010, 03:07 PM
is that a brass washer under the spoke and hub contact point?

bike22
09-23-2010, 03:27 PM
is that a brass washer under the spoke and hub contact point?
yup.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/DTspokes.htm