PDA

View Full Version : Planters Fasciitis

snah
09-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Anyone out there dealt with this? I've been a consistent runner for more than 15 years, 4-5 times a week, 20-30 miles a week. Planned on a marathon in November, but this is causing serious pain. From what I've read, appears rest is the only real way to cure it. Also wondering how cycling effects planters, since stretching is one treatment, would tend to think it's a positive, especially since there's no impact. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tim
09-22-2010, 01:01 PM
I've had the same thing- no running and lots of rest is good. Get ready for several months of waiting for this to go away. Cycling seemed not to be a problem- I think it's the pressure and the downward forces on the foot that running produces that are largely absent in cycling that allows one to ride but not run. I also has issues with finding comfortable shoes to wear everyday. I finally found a pair and wore them solidly for about 6 months. I also found that Crocs were comfortable too- and wore those around the house. Going barefoot was very uncomfortable.

kong79
09-22-2010, 01:05 PM
I've had it in both feet. The right foot heeled over time with rest and injections. The left wouldn't. I tried everything my podiatrist and doctor told me to do. Unfortunately, my job requires me to be on my feet most of the day. After orthotics failed to help and they told me I could have no more injections, surgery was the last resort. Doc said there were no guarantees but no other choices either. After surgery there was still pain but doc said to give it time, this was major surgery to your foot. The pain gradually went away and after about 6 months I realized one day that it didn't hurt anymore! It's been two years now and I have no regrets other than I wish I would have done it sooner. My wife has had the surgery on both feet back in the 90's and has had no problems since.

geoffm
09-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Been there done that. My wife had an issue with Plantar Fascitis in her right heel. We tried everything short of surgery (other than the obvious, total rest!) She is finally rid of it as of this past week...2 years later (it was intermittently worse). I would strongly recommend that you aggressively treat this and give it enough time to heal properly the first time, rather than do what she did and get regular reoccurences for years...

oldman
09-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Certain styles of shoes seem to aggravate or irritate the PF for me. I switched shoes with my last episode of PF. I've used the Strassburg sock with some relief. Biking did not seem to aggravate mine.

dekindy
09-22-2010, 01:29 PM
You need to get a night splint boot or Strassburg sock.

Dekonick
09-22-2010, 01:36 PM
And stretch... roll foot on a ball, can, etc. I am sure you have already done all of this already.

yngpunk
09-22-2010, 01:36 PM
One trick I learned is to fill a 2 liter soda bottle with water and freeze it. Once frozen, you you use it to ice the bottom of your foot. Not a solution, but I found that ice helps relieve the pain when PF acts up

false_Aest
09-22-2010, 01:47 PM
I had a bunch of pain from PF for a bunch of years. Working in retail, on my feet 6x a week didn't help it.

I spoke to a few docs, people at an awesome running store, etc.

Was told rest, stretching and insoles. Anytime I had a long long week on my feet it'd come back.

Ended up dating a dancer for a while who told me that I needed to stop walking around in shoes all the time and start walking around in bare feet to strengthen my muscles. I hate walking in bare feet but I tried it for a summer. Immediately when I got home I'd take off my shoes. Any time I'd go out for something casual I'd opt to carry my shoes until I got to the destination (walking around in Boston was interesting to say the least). After the summer I had a significant decrease in pain.

Then I stopped doing it.
The pain eventually came back.

Started dating another girl (who has also danced for 20 years). I asked her what she thought of the previous GF's advice. She agreed. I can't take my shoes off at work (bare feet don't like woodshops and liquid chemicals) but any time I don't need shoes, I'm not wearing em.

I've also opted for less supportive shoes and tried to re-learn how to walk (absorbing shock with the front of the foot instead of what we normally do -- heel to toe). I'm on my feet all the time now. On bare concrete. My feet no longer hurt.

For going out (and the gym) I'm seriously considering these: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Seramount
09-22-2010, 01:48 PM
One trick I learned is to fill a 2 liter soda bottle with water and freeze it. Once frozen, you you use it to ice the bottom of your foot. Not a solution, but I found that ice helps relieve the pain when PF acts up

after running 35 miles/week for several months, I developed PF in my right foot. severe agony ensued.

ice is absolutely a solution! it definitely gave me relief. I filled a small styrofoam coffee cup and froze it. hold the cup to keep from getting frostbite on your fingers and peel the foam down as the ice melts.

I was using NSAIDs at first, but only after I started icing 5-6 times per day did the symptoms really start to subside.

and NO running until you're back to normal. even a light 1 mile jog set me back.

yngpunk
09-22-2010, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=false_Aest]

I've also opted for less supportive shoes and tried to re-learn how to walk (absorbing shock with the front of the foot instead of what we normally do -- heel to toe). I'm on my feet all the time now. On bare concrete. My feet no longer hurt.

Reminds me of an interesting read:

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall.

The author used to also suffer from PF until he learned bare foot running and solved his problems. A good read, even if you don't suffer from PF or are a runner.

Also, this is probably sounds crazy, but I used to suffer pretty bad from patella tendinitis until I ran my first marathon and the tendinitis pretty much went away. Also used to suffer from PF, and then took a marathon day hike hike up and down Mt. Whitney, and then the PF also went away. I figured that all the pounding just ended up killing the nerves in my knee and foot :rolleyes:

Likes2ridefar
09-22-2010, 02:51 PM
i recently read born to run, and found it quite interesting that going barefoot could be a solution for many peoples' ailments. Of course if you do enough searching on the web you'll find dissenters saying the exact opposite.

I wanted to try barefoot, but live in NYC, so that makes it difficult but some quick google searching found shoes that let you go to work or out on the city streets and still get that close to barefoot walking - terra plana. I bought the aqua model last weekend and really like them. My wife got the running shoes they sold and has used them a few times this past week and is smitten as well.

For those suffering, it's worth considering.

My conclusion from the book and some other brief reading is it helps some people, but it also hurts others. If you have a natural stride and aren't overweight it may be just the ticket, but if you have flat feet or terrible technique you'll probably do a number on your feet and/or body.

false_Aest
09-22-2010, 03:27 PM
If you have a natural stride and aren't overweight it may be just the ticket, but if you have flat feet or terrible technique you'll probably do a number on your feet and/or body.

Ha! If you're over weight I think you have other things to worry about before you start considering how the little piggies are doin.

w0rd

BarryG
09-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Anyone out there dealt with this? I've been a consistent runner for more than 15 years, 4-5 times a week, 20-30 miles a week. Planned on a marathon in November, but this is causing serious pain.
Did you change to a different running shoe in the recent past? That's what caused mine - too much mid-sole flexibility.

gearguywb
09-22-2010, 03:45 PM
I went through a horrible period with this. Shots, ice, stretching, blah, blah. Nothing worked. Ended up having surgery. I can tell you from expierence...DO NOT have surgery. Use any other means possible. The time that it takes to rehab from the surgery was very long and painful.

Cycling became a part of my life because of this. I needed some other activity to burn calories and keep the competitive fires at bay, so I guess there was some good that came of it :).

R2D2
09-22-2010, 03:54 PM
I had it in both feet. Went through a regiment of shots,streching, frozen soda bottles. There is an ultra sonic procedure that can be used versus surgery. But you need to have a period off shots before procedure can performed. And then you're off the bike for a while. To make a long boring story short, I switched shoes and in doing so re-examined cleat position. Cleats were too far forward. All is good now. But you mentioned running so this may be of little help.

Mike126
09-22-2010, 07:19 PM
snah - I'm going through it right now for my right foot. After 5 months of tryng to deal with it on my own, I finally went to the podiatrist. He gave me a shot to reduce the swelling and relax/numb the facia and stretching (hamstring wall push ups and foot stretches). I have also put Smartfeet inserts (green) in my running shoes and use the blue ones in my soccer cleats.

I must say (knock on wood) the treatment has helped alot. Especially the inserts. I can now play soccer (lightly, I coach) without much pain at all.

The Dr. said riding would be a good excercise and should not hurt my foot. I have always used inserts in my Sidi's.

BTW this is my first post in over 7 years... I had to take a long break from cycling to deal with a major bone spur in my C6 vertebrae. I am finally back on the bike ( 1 hour rides only or else my left arm goes numb from the spur)! :banana:

Good luck with the PF. It can take time to heal but keep stretching and icing and hopefully you can avoid surgery.

Mike

cadence90
09-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Ugh, PF is terrible.

I had it for quite a few years, in one foot, especially when I was playing a lot of basketball. Shots didn't help and I never wanted surgery. It got so bad that at times I was cutting little heel pads out of felt to put under my heels, in addition to insoles. At times it was pretty painful simply to walk.

What DID help, and finally "cured" me was:
Rest plus icing after activity and then later warm epsom salt foot baths up to ankle plus regular stretching by standing barefoot on a step, on the balls of my feet, with my heels off the step, and simply lowering my heels below the level of the step and then raising them above it plus occasionally wearing a simple "splint" to bed which kept my knee locked (rigid and straight) and then using a very strong, wide elastic band the podiatrist gave me to keep my foot in the stretched postion all night by wrapping it around the ball off my foot and then pulling very tightly and securing above my knee. Uncomfortable at night but in the morning, oh the relief!

The last two treatments definitely alleviated the condition and I haven't had it in the years since.

Cycling does not aggravate the condition.

DRZRM
09-22-2010, 08:36 PM
+1, the sock worked for me.

You need to get a night splint boot or Strassburg sock.

junkfood
09-22-2010, 08:52 PM
I have been dealing with PF for the past year or so. I got some custom fit supports for my shoes and it has helped tremendously (along with stretching and ice.) I would like to try that sock out. Since the PF has came on I have noticed much more tightness in the calves, achilles, back of the knee, and even my hamstring.

-Jake

layneo59
09-22-2010, 08:53 PM
With all the recommendations so far, I'm, surprised no one mentioned the following--run first aid tape or duct tape (yes duct tape!) from the heal of your foot across the arch to the ball of your foot. The tape should be run with the arch, not across it. When you first put the tape on make sure your arch is stretched out--when you relax the arch the tape will "mold" to your foot.

Sounds like this would be too simple a fix, but I've done this twice and it worked both times. Replaced the tape when needed and after about 2 weeks didn't need it anymore, I've been a long time runner and others told me about this and it seemed to work for them.

Such a simple process that its worth giving it a shot--not much downside. I would still ice it to reduce inflammation.

Good luck! I know this condition can be very, very frustrating!

snah
09-23-2010, 04:05 PM
With all the recommendations so far, I'm, surprised no one mentioned the following--run first aid tape or duct tape (yes duct tape!) from the heal of your foot across the arch to the ball of your foot. The tape should be run with the arch, not across it. When you first put the tape on make sure your arch is stretched out--when you relax the arch the tape will "mold" to your foot.

Sounds like this would be too simple a fix, but I've done this twice and it worked both times. Replaced the tape when needed and after about 2 weeks didn't need it anymore, I've been a long time runner and others told me about this and it seemed to work for them.

Such a simple process that its worth giving it a shot--not much downside. I would still ice it to reduce inflammation.

Good luck! I know this condition can be very, very frustrating!

Greatly appreciate all the advice/suggestions, amazing what duct tape can do!

Glad to hear that cycling doesn't aggravate. Finding PF extremely annoying, been able to run thru pain in the past, but this just gets worse after each run.

Guess this now becomes my excuse to ride more.

bob the nailer
09-23-2010, 05:32 PM
I have used a variety of treatments, the one that seems to make the most difference is the nighttime splint. I wear an elastic brace in the daytime that velcros around my ankle with a strap running down just in front of my heel, and an arch support in my shoe. I try to never go barefoot, actually a pair of those black rubber nike sandals, which have quite a bit of give, are very comfortable. Cycling doesn't seem to aggravate it at all.

crankles
09-23-2010, 10:27 PM
I had really bad PF last year just before interbike. Could barely walk the pain in the heal was so bad. Got lots of advice from the net, Docs...etc. Went to interbike and met the folks at TPTherapy.com. check them out. As they described it, the PF is being yanked on by the soleus which has lost it's elasticity causing inflammation. you can ice the PF, take Ibu...etc but it doesn't address the real problem. after massaging the soleus everyday for 5-10 minute/day for a week, the PF went away...If if feel it start to reoccur, I focus on the soleus. Same idea with my "tennis elbow". I worked the knots out of my forearm and the tendinitis went away.

ps. I have no connection with the folks at tptherapy. just a happy customer (as are a few friends who also had PF)

ajax
09-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Extracorporeal shock wave treatment, also known as orthotripsy, worked for me after everything else failed. Check your insurance coverage. It's done under anaesthesia so it's not cheap.

Volant
09-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Back when I would run 5-6 marathons a year it would raise its ugly head toward October. Just too much stress on the fascia. Reducing mileage, ice and wearing orthotics always worked for me. It takes time, however, which can be frustrating. Just don't rush building back up on mileage.
This link has all the recommendations already covered:
http://orthopedics.about.com/od/footankle/a/fasciitis_2.htm

Someone else mentioned checking your shoes (esp. if you changed pairs/maker recently). That's good advice.