PDA

View Full Version : Phinney

bobswire
09-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Not only talented but very smart. Best for him to start off with a clean slate.
He doesn't need to be embroiled within RS brouhaha.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phinney-signs-for-bmc

Give credit to BMC for some smart signings.

johnnymossville
09-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Saw the announcement on twitter this morning. I think it's a great fit for BMC and for Phinney. I'd like to see him and Hincapie train together and take on Paris Roubaix one more time.

fiamme red
09-22-2010, 11:38 AM
My prediction: with his help, Hincapie will finally win Paris Roubaix in 2011.

On second thought, maybe not. ;)

johnnymossville
09-22-2010, 11:40 AM
I think the real reason he signed was because he liked George's USA Champion jersey so much he wants to wear it in 2011. :)

MattTuck
09-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I can see it now.

"Hincapie has a puncture at this critical section of cobbles! Oh, this is pure agony for Hincapie... once again. Oh wait, Phinney has come up behind Hincapie and taken him on his back. Phinney is dancing on the pedals and carrying Hincapie away from the rest of the field!"

I wish him the best, I kind of wish he would have stuck with Garmin from the get go, but that's just me.

Can anyone live up to these expectations?

AFS
09-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Glad to see him sign with BMC, they have a better setup for the classics. I wonder if Cancellara will be joining the team?

malcolm
09-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Glad to see him sign with BMC, they have a better setup for the classics. I wonder if Cancellara will be joining the team?

I think fabian is going with the schlecks

false_Aest
09-22-2010, 12:21 PM
RS is probably a little toxic right now.

At this point any move away is probably a smart move.

George will have some good things to teach.

jlwdm
09-22-2010, 12:34 PM
I wish he had gone to a better team.

Jeff

bobswire
09-22-2010, 12:44 PM
I wish he had gone to a better team.

Jeff
It will be a "better" team now and wasn't to shabby beforehand with Evans, Bookwalter, Burghardt, Louder and Nydham not to forget Handcapie.
They are building for the future with Handcapie, Evans and Ballan giving them the experience.

AFS
09-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Little more info from Taylor about his move
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phinney-explains-decision-to-sign-with-bmc-racing-team

"Despite his excitement for the future, Phinney is sad to be leaving behind the relationships he made at Trek-Livestrong over the last two years, including his friendship with Armstrong, who Phinney revealed, had broken off all communication ever since Ochowicz made his first offer."

Sounds like there's some hurt feelings. :rolleyes:

merlincustom1
09-22-2010, 01:55 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phinney-explains-decision-to-sign-with-bmc-racing-team

"Despite his excitement for the future, Phinney is sad to be leaving behind the relationships he made at Trek-Livestrong over the last two years, including his friendship with Armstrong, who Phinney revealed, had broken off all communication ever since Ochowicz made his first offer."

Maybe Phinney wants to avoid any possible future Armstrong stink?

EDS
09-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Consolation prize for Radio Shack is that they do get the reigning U.S. national road race champion next year.

Innominatus
09-22-2010, 02:20 PM
George will have some good things to teach.
"Son, I gots four key bits of wisdom to learn ya:

1) Never play cards with a man named Doc;
2) Never eat at a place called "Mom's";
3) Never get involved with a girl whose crazier than you are;
4) And whenever presented with the choice, always go with the aluminum steerer."

malcolm
09-22-2010, 02:43 PM
"Son, I gots four key bits of wisdom to learn ya:

1) Never play cards with a man named Doc;
2) Never eat at a place called "Mom's";
3) Never get involved with a girl whose crazier than you are;
4) And whenever presented with the choice, always go with the aluminum steerer."

I thought the steerer george broke was aluminum

BengeBoy
09-22-2010, 03:08 PM

Classy.

You win the Tour de France 7 times -- you are the principal on a team that won't give a 20-yr-old phenom a contract past next year -- and you break off all contact?

From Taylor:

"However, we had a chat with Lance, Bart Knaggs and Johan [Bruyneel] just to let them know that Jim had put in an offer and Lance had to leave half way because I think Senator Kerry was on the other line. I've tried to call, email and text and I've not really heard anything.... I think if Lance was in the same situation that I was in he would have done the same thing. That makes me feel more comfortable but it's not all smiles and laughs."

[EDIT FOR UPDATE:]

This just in: Taylor Phinney just posted this to Twitter: "Just got a txt from @lancearmstrong. I haven't talked to him in a while but he was very supportive of my decision... Thx 4 everything boss!"

mike p
09-22-2010, 03:53 PM
I think Taylor's a good kid but he's still a kid! His old man is the one steering him in the right direction and rightly so.
Forget about George his time has come and gone. I like George but he's never going to win PR!

Mike

AFS
09-22-2010, 07:19 PM
[EDIT FOR UPDATE:]
This just in: Taylor Phinney just posted this to Twitter: "Just got a txt from @lancearmstrong. I haven't talked to him in a while but he was very supportive of my decision... Thx 4 everything boss!"

That's good, the young man didn't deserve to feel like he was getting the cold shoulder.