PDA

View Full Version : $5,499.99 wheels...

bulliedawg
04-20-2005, 07:06 AM
There's a set of wheels, called Lightweight wheels in Colorado Cyclist that sell for $5,499.99. It always cracks me up that they stick the 99.99 on the end of everything. How the hell could these wheels be worth that money?

As a side note, the NYT business page yesterday had a story about a set of bling-bling car wheels that sells for $250,000. There are bejeweled. In the article, the manufacturer admitted that he didn't intend to sell many, that they were primarily a marketing device that he hoped would attract attention to his company's other offerings.

Is the same true for the $5,499.99 Lightweight wheels in the Colorado Cyclist?

Sandy
04-20-2005, 07:17 AM
What colors do they come in?? Think that I will pick up a few sets. One for my Ottrott. One for a backup pair. One to gloat over.

Already have a few sets of the bling-bling car wheels. Waiting for the newer and even more expensive set of those beauties. :)

Super Snobish Serotta Sandy

LegendRider
04-20-2005, 07:23 AM
From a purely economics point of view, I think the price probably could be justified. The wheels are extremely high-tech; the developers are well schooled in carbon fiber technology; they don't produce a lot of them; they are hand made; etc. In order to run a reasonably profitably business given those constraints, the price is probably "right." In other words, I don't think they're printing money with them. Just my theory...

Sandy
04-20-2005, 07:29 AM
Probably not selling too many of them either. But then again, you really don't know.

STill Snobish Serotta Sandy

Too Tall
04-20-2005, 07:33 AM
One of my teammates is buying a set. Trust me, they will sell these. Cees is not the easiest man to get product from and these are real deal wheels if price is no pbject.

pale scotsman
04-20-2005, 08:03 AM
They make the $3,700 lightweight wheels seem like a bargain! ;)

BumbleBeeDave
04-20-2005, 08:06 AM
. . . and I will repeat what I said at that time. THey will sell every set they can get. These wheels answer an ego need more than they answer a performance need.

BBDave

Onno
04-20-2005, 08:14 AM
On the website they sell for 5500.00! So you save money by using the catalogue, perhaps? Also, they throw in a free pair of Continental Sprinter tubular tires!!!

I think if someone gave them to me, I'd use them all the time. Alas, my wife does not read this forum.....

Onno

coylifut
04-20-2005, 08:44 AM
I remember last year watching Rebellien win 3 hilly classics in a row on what appeared to be box section tubular hoops. I bet retail on em is about $400 or so. If he don't need em, no one does.

check out the weight difference between the $3,500 set and the $5,500 set. that's a lot of $ for 100 fewer grams.

Roy E. Munson
04-20-2005, 08:47 AM
. . . and I will repeat what I said at that time. THey will sell every set they can get. These wheels answer an ego need more than they answer a performance need.

Like a $6000 + Ottrott frame and fork?

flydhest
04-20-2005, 08:56 AM
From a purely economics point of view, I think the price probably could be justified.

I'm an economist and I don't know what this means.

Big Dan
04-20-2005, 09:08 AM

Fly, you sure you know how the free market works????........ :D

What would be the price elasticity of demand on those babies??

jeffg
04-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Like a $6000 + Ottrott frame and fork?

those wheels could make more of a performance difference than frame+fork for a pro!

For the rest of us, a bike should be about fit, handling, and perhaps feel. FWIW, no bike "feels" better to me than my Legend, and I love my Parlee (partially because the fit and handling are more Hampsten/Kelly B.). Bottom line is I would rather spend for a frame like that than wheels, but if I made my living riding a bike I would likely do an Ullrich and slap Lightweights (or those custom Tune's he used in Sydney) on a Giant!

LegendRider
04-20-2005, 09:26 AM

I mean that the price is probably set to cover the costs to produce the wheels and earn a reasonable profit. I don't think the margins on the wheels are astronomical because they are "cool or popular."

zap
04-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Carbon Sports will sell evey set they make.

Better investment than any $5,000 frame, custom or not.

Sandy
04-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Roy- No ego in it for me. I thought I was bad. Now I know I am bad, and probably getting worse. I bought the Ottrott because I really enjoyed the way that it rode. Nothing else involved (except that I coud afford it).

Flydhest- You aren't suppose to know because you are an economist.

jeffg- I agree.

Zapster- Better investment for a racer, perhaps. But for the rest of us, not a better investment. They may make us a little faster, but the frameset will make us enjoy the ride more.

They may sell every one they make, but as e-RICHIE might say, those sales are but a drop in the bucket and have nothing to do with bicycle wheel sales in the industry.

Sandy

Ray
04-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Zapster- Better investment for a racer, perhaps. But for the rest of us, not a better investment. They may make us a little faster, but the frameset will make us enjoy the ride more.

Yup. I was rudely reminded of this yet again today. Was out enjoying my copious amounts of non-working free-time on the new Spectrum in the beautiful mid-80s weather. Felt really good on the bike, found a good rhythm and even felt good on the climbs, which is a real hit or miss proposition this time of year. Came upon a fast friend of mine out riding with some of the A+ members of the local club. He invited me to join. I did, knowing roughly what was going to happen, the only question being when. We rode for a few miles on flat to sightly rolling roads and I'm enjoying the fast pace. Then the road went up - not a hill, exactly, just about a 4% grade for about a mile or so. These guys didn't get the memo that tells you that when the road goes up, you slow down. I get a fresh copy every day. I was dropped so quickly and thorougly it was rather amusing, even to me.

Would $5500 wheels have made more than a token difference in this situation? I believe not. But after I caught them at a stop light and bid them adieu, I continued on my own ride feeling simply freaking wonderful on the fine riding Spectrum.

-Ray

Sandy
04-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Ray, you made my day by what you did say. I really relate to the totality of your post. But with me, you don't need A+ cyclists. Any BB (B+) rider will crush me on the hills. I am trying to accept my shortcomings in cycling and enjoy riding with those that I am able to ride with. I am so fortunate at my age to be able to be healthy enough to enjoy my cycling passion.

Ray- Where do you live? Maybe I can ride with you sometime, as long as you buy me a set or two of the fancy dancy wheels. :D :D

I promise not to drop you (or anyone) on the hills.

Snail Sandy

Sandy
04-20-2005, 06:21 PM
It looks as if you live near Philadelphia.

Sandy

Kevin
04-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Ray, you made my day by what you did say. I really relate to the totality of your post. But with me, you don't need A+ cyclists. Any BB (B+) rider will crush me on the hills.
Snail Sandy

Lets hear it for the B+ riders. Sandy, I will keep you company at the open house.

Kevin

columbusslx
04-20-2005, 06:24 PM
I agreed with many on these, but then I actually held a set in my hands last week and wow they don't seem that expensive anymore. I think there is not 5500.00 worth of raw material in these (maybe 500-1000.00 with the hub bits) but I bet they lose a lot wheels to yield issues with no adjustments in the part. Somewhere in germany there is a big pile of out of round/dish/tension LW's. A lot of $$$ but I still want a set.

Ray
04-20-2005, 06:27 PM
It looks as if you live near Philadelphia.

I'm in West Chester, which is slightly closer to Wilmington, DE than to Philly. About an hour and a half to Baltimore. I just posted some pics of the area I ride in on the thread of ride pictures - check it out. And I got NOTHING but time these days. So I'd be happy to host...

But no fancy wheels from me. I have yet to spend more than $400 on a set of wheels and haven't seen a good enough reason to do so yet.

-Ray

jerk
04-20-2005, 06:41 PM
they're nice but they ain't ***s.
jerk

Jeff N.
04-20-2005, 10:08 PM
When you pick up a Lightweight wheel, you can't help but scoff a little, they're so ridiculously light. I was told by the LBS owner that he's sold several pair. But don't look for me in THAT line. Jeff N.

Wayne77
04-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Those look OK I guess.. Maybe I could use them as backup wheels to the ones on my rainbike. I guess I'll pick up a set after I stop by Mickey D's to get dinner for the rugrats...

colodale
04-20-2005, 10:28 PM
You would think for that much cash they could throw in a set of skewers.

Sandy
04-20-2005, 10:30 PM
A cheap bike too. :)

Sandy

vaxn8r
04-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Probably ride like crap compared to Carbones... :)

yeehawfactor
04-20-2005, 11:07 PM
i will sell you lightweight brand wheels for $3,000. or should i say 2,999.99. they have been hanging around my shop in charlotte for over a year. they are sweet, the logos are spraypainted on to save weight.

jeffg
04-21-2005, 03:45 AM
they're nice but they ain't ***s.
jerk

Yeah, but if the man behind ***'s don't like your pedigree, he will treat apparently you like @$§&%$ so you would be better off buying Lightweights anyway. Does Jan shop at CC? I think not ... ;)