PDA

View Full Version : Drunken abusive voice mails may come back to haunt you

fiamme red
09-21-2010, 11:05 AM
I apologize if this has been posted already. The article appeared in the NY Daily News a few days ago.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/09/18/2010-09-18_abusvie_voicemails_now_part_of_armstrong_probe. html?page=1

Below are partial transcripts of Stephanie McIlvain's voicemails to Armstrong critic Betsy Andreu in the spring of 2008.

VOICEMAIL #1
"I hope somebody breaks a baseball bat over your head. I also hope that one day you have adversity in your life, and you have some type of tragedy that will (inaudible) your failing, that will definitely make an impact on you, will make you more softer in your life, and will make you realize that life is about other than going after people that you actually hate. It's pathetic Betsey. I thought you were a better person than that, and I'm so saddened that you're not. I've moved on. I don't have any contact with Lance, I have no contact with you. But you just keep going and going and going. So sad. Go ahead and post that on the Internet. OK? Go ahead and post it. Because you're such a shallow b----."

VOICEMAIL #2
"Hi Betsy, it's Stephanie, your friend from California (inaudible). I shouldn't say friend. I want to apologize for calling you that night after two bottles of wine. I was out of my mind...I just want to say to you, hey, you know what, this is totally, totally crazy and I didn't admit to anything to you. I didn't apologize to you, I didn't do anything to you. Now all I ask is that you just leave me alone..."

malcolm
09-21-2010, 11:15 AM
How many folks here have never said or done anything they woldn't want made public. Not excusing any bad behavior, but all humans behave badly with remarkable frequency.

gemship
09-21-2010, 11:34 AM
How many folks here have never said or done anything they woldn't want made public. Not excusing any bad behavior, but all humans behave badly with remarkable frequency.

Mel Gibson comes to mind, I actually support that guy. His Russian lady friend mother of his child is being devious on the other hand what if he really is losing it on the other hand can't arrest someone for something that hasn't happened yet.

cinema
09-21-2010, 11:37 AM
"I didn't admit anything to you..." comes off as more than a little defensive.

JMerring
09-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Mel Gibson comes to mind, I actually support that guy. His Russian lady friend mother of his child is being devious on the other hand what if he really is losing it on the other hand can't arrest someone for something that hasn't happened yet.

sorry, but mel gibson is a total, complete and unequivocal piece of shyte. personally, i think he is nothing more than a load that should have been swallowed. (note: i got nothing at all against you but any time i see support for herr gibson i feel duty bound to respond.)

AndrewS
09-21-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't think celebrity cyclists or actors need my support. Millionaires can behave or not - their choice.

I don't think McIlvain's messages reveal anything more than she doesn't like the way Andreu is treating her. They hardly reveal anything.

gemship
09-21-2010, 11:53 AM
sorry, but mel gibson is a total, complete and unequivocal piece of shyte. personally, i think he is nothing more than a load that should have been swallowed. (note: i got nothing at all against you but any time i see support for herr gibson i feel duty bound to respond.)

that's cool but I just think about the money grubbing whore that taped him and maybe set it all up to victimize herself. I only know what the media force feeds me and as I traverse the earth it becomes filled with more shades of grey

he was pretty good in the first mad max flick

gemship
09-21-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't think celebrity cyclists or actors need my support. Millionaires can behave or not - their choice.

I don't think McIlvain's messages reveal anything more than she doesn't like the way Andreu is treating her. They hardly reveal anything.

agreed, since when is it wrong to tell someone to go screw?

rugbysecondrow
09-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Agree. Nobody knows what sort of behind the scenes harrassment might have been taking place. People just don't call others out of the eff'n blue to tell them to leave you alone.

In poor taste, Betsy and her husband seem like defeated low rent trash for doing this.

e-RICHIE
09-21-2010, 12:11 PM
In poor taste, Betsy and her husband seem like defeated low rent trash for doing this.

???
aren't the voicemails to her (betsy) rather than from her atmo?
what does your reply mean (what did the andreaus do)?

rugbysecondrow
09-21-2010, 12:20 PM
???
aren't the voicemails to her (betsy) rather than from her atmo?
what does your reply mean (what did the andreaus do)?

Why release voice mails to the Daily News? To me, that is a pretty low rent and trashy thing to do, especially when the second one is one apologizing for the first. She could choose to not accept it, but it is pretty tasteless to do so in a way to public humiliate. Sure, it is wrong to drunk dial and leave nasty v-mails, but calling to apoligize, no matter what you do, takes some stones too. Those sorts of things are not for public consumption. Did she turn them over to police as a threat? Nope, to the press. Classy.

Andreu gave the voicemails to the Daily News two and a half years ago, right after receiving them.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/09/18/2010-09-18_abusvie_voicemails_now_part_of_armstrong_probe. html?comments=1#ixzz10BYm27qS

William
09-21-2010, 12:23 PM
<edit>

William

Chris
09-21-2010, 01:38 PM
A couple of points.

1) The recordings McIlvain needs to be concerned with are those that Lemond has where she points out that she knew Lance was doping. That second recording seems less like an apology and more like a cya in case those recordings were to come out.

B) Mel Gibson is a douche. No matter how uncool it may be for his ex to release those tapes, nothing excuses the hate and bigotry he spews. Nothing. And I really liked the guy's movies and am disappointed that I won't be watching any more of them based on principle.

JMerring
09-21-2010, 01:44 PM
I won't be watching any more of them based on principle.

respect. :beer: me too.

Ray
09-21-2010, 02:29 PM
B) Mel Gibson is a douche. No matter how uncool it may be for his ex to release those tapes, nothing excuses the hate and bigotry he spews. Nothing. And I really liked the guy's movies and am disappointed that I won't be watching any more of them based on principle.
+100. I stopped a loooooong time ago when I realized I couldn't watch them without thinking about what a sorry prick he is (my opinion, but that's the only one that counts when I'm choosing what to watch). Let alone not wanting him taking even a nickel of money that came from me for some of the causes he supports.

-Ray

54ny77
09-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Freeeeeeedommmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/files/2010/01/MelGibsonBraveheart.jpg

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/10000/Big-Top-Lance--10479.jpg

malcolm
09-21-2010, 03:30 PM
My wife and I once saw Mel Gibson in a restaurant in chicago, I think it was gene and georgetti's. He of course was secluded in a sealed off room, but when he left he worked the room a little, stopped to say hello/talk at a few tables, not ours. I just recall him being a tiny guy, didn't really seem like a dick but maybe he wasn't tanked yet. This was probably 10 or so years ago, before the melt downs.

gemship
09-21-2010, 04:26 PM
A couple of points.

1) The recordings McIlvain needs to be concerned with are those that Lemond has where she points out that she knew Lance was doping. That second recording seems less like an apology and more like a cya in case those recordings were to come out.

take it to a higher level and give up on hollywood in general, heck give up the internet, as the saying goes talk is cheap.

I mean where do you draw the line with crap that people spew?

I may say otherwise if I was vested in knowing a few stars, sadly nay, must expect the worst.

Chris
09-21-2010, 05:08 PM
take it to a higher level and give up on hollywood in general, heck give up the internet, as the saying goes talk is cheap.

I mean where do you draw the line with crap that people spew?

I may say otherwise if I was vested in knowing a few stars, sadly nay, must expect the worst.

Um, I draw the line at racism, anti-semitism and misogyny. No one of whom I am aware that behaves in that way gets my support financially or otherwise. I'm not going to lock myself in a closet somewhere and hide from the world though because you think that is a "higher level." On the contrary, I think that voting with your dollar and taking a stand in someway is the higher level. Sticking your head in the sand so you might not be exposed to it seems to be a little silly.

gemship
09-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Um, I draw the line at racism, anti-semitism and misogyny. No one of whom I am aware that behaves in that way gets my support financially or otherwise. I'm not going to lock myself in a closet somewhere and hide from the world though because you think that is a "higher level." On the contrary, I think that voting with your dollar and taking a stand in someway is the higher level. Sticking your head in the sand so you might not be exposed to it seems to be a little silly.

well said and as that goes we are entitled to our opinion. I vote with my dollar too and it's as simple as this I don't go to watch movies unless I get invited to by some incredibly hot arm candy. I just don't waste money to watch movies. In my opinion all of Hollywood is overpaid and mediocre much like pro sports. Whether there dirty laundry is aired out in the open or left to suspicion it's enough to cast doubt in my eye. I'd be a hypocrite to say otherwise. It's basically a big bag of crap I take no part in unless you count reruns, the news and it's crazy spin of things.

yeah if it wasn't for springing for my high speed internet I would have no idea about any of this, all of this stuff talked about. Gotta live life for real but I do like the internet despite loitering around sites way too much :butt:It's a bad use of time most of the time.

Chris
09-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Gotta live life for real but I do like the internet despite loitering around sites way too much :butt:It's a bad use of time most of the time.

Totally agree. I question myself sometimes about how much time I spend on the world wide waste of time. These forums are fun, but in the end, are they real, and what am I missing in real life by hanging here so much of my day?

Elefantino
09-21-2010, 08:30 PM
VOICEMAIL #1
"I hope somebody breaks a baseball bat over your head. I also hope that one day you have adversity in your life, and you have some type of tragedy that will (inaudible) your failing, that will definitely make an impact on you, will make you more softer in your life, and will make you realize that life is about other than going after people that you actually hate. It's pathetic Betsey. I thought you were a better person than that, and I'm so saddened that you're not. I've moved on. I don't have any contact with Lance, I have no contact with you. But you just keep going and going and going. So sad. Go ahead and post that on the Internet. OK? Go ahead and post it. Because you're such a shallow b----."

So there you go.

And Paul is dead.

BumbleBeeDave
09-22-2010, 05:44 AM
. . . ka-CHOO! ;)

BBD

fiamme red
09-22-2010, 09:28 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lance-armstrong-20100922,0,2720319.story

McIlvain, in her conversation with LeMond, criticized Armstrong, who at the time was in the midst of his record run of Tour de France titles after overcoming cancer.

Although she doesn't specifically connect Armstrong to drug use, over the course of the 30-minute conversation, McIlvain refers to Armstrong as a liar but never clarifies what she accuses him of lying about.

LeMond taped McIlvain without her knowledge, but law expert Laurie Levenson told The Times last week that single-party consent tapings are presentable in federal cases.

"So many people protect him that it's just sickening," McIlvain told LeMond on the tape, adding she "can't even watch" his then-run for a sixth title. McIlvain's son has autism, and she told LeMond on the tape it bothered her that Armstrong had been portrayed as an inspirational athlete.

"He's giving how many people false hope?" McIlvain asked LeMond. "[It's] the most disgusting thing ever for someone to do. Coming as someone whose son has a handicap, you look to people for hope and strength. That kills me."

McIlvain, who lives in Orange County, has declined to return several messages left by The Times. Her attorney, Tom Bienert, did not return messages Tuesday but told The Times last week that LeMond had an "agenda" and was "attempting to get people to say things that are incriminating."

On the tape McIlvain said of Armstrong "even his best friend" [who goes unnamed in the recording] is aware "he's on it." She closes by saying, "I'd love for it to come out."

MarleyMon
09-22-2010, 10:32 AM
agreed, since when is it wrong to tell someone to go screw?
When you wish someone to break a bat over their head?