PDA

View Full Version : Fizik Microtex

cinema
09-20-2010, 05:55 PM
I just got summa this stuff and it feels pretty thin. Do you guys wrap it on top of other cork tape? or do you just like the thin feel of the tape?

jbrainin
09-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Less than helpful answer: I do both. One bike has cork under the microtex and the other one just has the microtex.

Perhaps more helpful: I used, and needed, the cork/microtex combo when I rode across the US but find that when home either way is fine.

gone
09-20-2010, 06:28 PM
I just wrap it by itself. I don't particularly like thick bar tape or heavily padded gloves for that matter.

Bradford
09-20-2010, 06:30 PM
I wrap it over bar gel or bar phat. I've had it for a few years and it has performed very well.

John M
09-20-2010, 06:35 PM
I like it thin.

SoCalSteve
09-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Thin w/ padded gloves.

phcollard
09-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Really thin indeed. I had a roll and I hated it. Texture does not beat the old Cinelli cork but that's just me. Be careful when you install it not to miss your shot: once the adhesive adheres there's no way you can pull it back without tearing the tape into pieces.

SoCalSteve
09-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Really thin indeed. I had a roll and I hated it. Texture does not beat the old Cinelli cork but that's just me. Be careful when you install it not to miss your shot: once the adhesive adheres there's no way you can pull it back without tearing the tape into pieces.

Fizik bar tape is really hard to rip/tear/scratch/or cut...You must be thinking of a different brand and/or model of bar tape.

That stuff is really tough!

pdmtong
09-20-2010, 06:58 PM
want thicker? try the fizik dual...I like the microtex, I like the dual with giro zero's even more

phcollard
09-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Fizik bar tape is really hard to rip/tear/scratch/or cut...You must be thinking of a different brand and/or model of bar tape.

Jeez it's like you had a better experience than I did. It was Fizik Microtex indeed. It came with bar gels. OK I got it on eBay so maybe I was sold a defective batch.

R2D2
09-20-2010, 07:03 PM

I tried and it seemed to scab really easy.
So I went back to cork.

cinema
09-20-2010, 07:20 PM
ahhh i didn't think the consensus would be half/half. i guess i was trying to get at what it's actual usage was- to be wrapped over or alone. maybe i'll keep it in the box until i decide for sure what to do with it

jbrainin
09-20-2010, 07:27 PM
I suggest you just put it over your current tape and try it for a while. You can always buy another roll of the stuff to try on it's own later, if necessary.

AngryScientist
09-20-2010, 07:28 PM
depends on how you like your bars really. i like my bar wrap super thin so my hands stay firmly planted where i put them, without squishy movement. i love the microtex alone. YMMV

dekindy
09-20-2010, 07:33 PM
I used the Fizik bar gel underneath and now use the gel underneath my Handlebra.

alexstar
09-20-2010, 07:45 PM
I use the "soft touch" black microtex exclusively. I prefer a thin tape. It's comfortable with or without padded gloves. On my touring bike I use the fizik bar gel underneath it, very chunky but very comfortable for those long days in the saddle.

The "soft touch" stuff is more prone to tearing than the brightly-colored versions; those seem to be made of a more durable material. They are also a little less squishy so I prefer to wear gloves with those.

tuxbailey
09-20-2010, 08:58 PM
I had cinelli cork before and I have microtex now. It is think and so far I like it.