PDA

View Full Version : How do you signal "straight"?

M_A_Martin
04-19-2005, 10:52 PM
I got pissed off at a group ride today.
I wasn't on it, but I was on the route they were taking at an intersection where the main road goes straight, but they take the right turn. If I didn't have good brakes I would have T-boned one of the fast group stragglers and they would have BLAMED ME.

Why do riders think it's ok to cut off other cyclists who have the right of way when if a car took a right turn in front of them at an intersection they'd be yelling bloody murder?

And yeah, I'm pissed because I was out on a nice evening ride trying to get up some hills with this new, expensive ACL of mine and the last thing I need is some idiot wannabe cat 5 racer cutting me off and causing a crash.

So...rant aside...
In the past when I was in this situation I'd signal a left hand turn and ease to the outside of the pack if they'd let me...It makes them think and usually allows me to open a lane between me and the corner for them to dive into...but I'm out of practice. How else should I signal that I'm going straight?

Oh...and if you're on a group ride on your high zoot sub 19lb bike, and some fat chick with less than 60 miles on a new ACL riding on a full rigid vintage steel boat anchor knobbie tired excuse for a cross bike manages to catch your sorry self on something that resembles a hill to ask you a question, do NOT give her any sort of roadie snob 'tude because dude...
you
are
slow.

93legendti
04-19-2005, 10:56 PM
What road where you on? Was it the ride out of B'ham that swarmed you?

M_A_Martin
04-19-2005, 11:00 PM
Depends...are you the one I caught up to?

The B-ham ride does have a rep for some having really stupid accidents on a regular basis due to bad bike handling skills. But there's another ride in the area as well. That's why I had to catch up...so I know which ride I didn't want to ride with once I get back in shape.

93legendti
04-19-2005, 11:03 PM
No, I was pulling the Wolverine 6:15 ride out of Beverly up Squirrel and Beech to CTC...it was SO windy. We TRY to be really good to cars, walkers and other cyclists. The back of the ride can be a bit ragged sometimes.

I stopped doing the Loose Spokes ride out of B'ham after the crash in 1998 that left a guy in a coma--every intersection seemed to be a dangerous proposition.

I do not think I saw you...I was on the Ottrott...red jersey.

M_A_Martin
04-19-2005, 11:07 PM
Hmmm, very strange...I was on squirrel when the fast group passed me, I thought I was passed in the middle of OU on a hill that I was going REALLY slow on by a fairly friendly rider in a red jersey on an OttRott...but I really don't pay attention to other people's bikes.

The guy I caught said he was on the Birmingham ride...

If you passed a fat chick wearing last year's yellow Assenmacher 100 jersey on a little blue Bridgestone...that was me.

If what you say is so...right now, three rides use the squirrel route on Tuesday nights, Scarlett Schwinn, the B-ham ride, and the one you're on.

93legendti
04-19-2005, 11:12 PM
No we didn't go into OU. You had the Loose Spokes ride after you. They swarm us too on Squirrel; yell at cars; cross double yellow lines; go thru red lights...not good. If it had been me, you would have heard "on your left" and "nice bike". :)

coylifut
04-19-2005, 11:13 PM
the going straight signal looks just like the tomohawk chop displayed at Florida State games.

crashing sucks. glad you didn't

M_A_Martin
04-19-2005, 11:18 PM
My question stands.

If you're JRA and a group comes up on you at an intersection and you're continuing straight and the group is turning in front of you, what's the best method of proceeding. When I'm stronger and faster and more confident, the left turn signal to move outside the group works well...but what do I do in the meantime? Do I stop for every group of cyclists? It wrankles to have to follow their course until I get myself free of them. I shouldn't have to...

Should I zip tie an air horn to my seat and warn them with it?

M_A_Martin
04-19-2005, 11:22 PM
coy...I do use that when riding...but I'm not sure the riders behind would have gotten it...

coylifut
04-19-2005, 11:28 PM
My question stands.

If you're JRA and a group comes up on you at an intersection and you're continuing straight and the group is turning in front of you, what's the best method of proceeding. When I'm stronger and faster and more confident, the left turn signal to move outside the group works well...but what do I do in the meantime? Do I stop for every group of cyclists? It wrankles to have to follow their course until I get myself free of them. I shouldn't have to...

Should I zip tie an air horn to my seat and warn them with it?

"It wrankles to have to follow their course until I get myself free of them. I shouldn't have to..."

I think for your own safety, that's what you have to do.

93legendti
04-19-2005, 11:28 PM
We use that signal too...3 rides on Squirrel? Yikes!!

M_A_Martin
04-19-2005, 11:42 PM
coy, that's what I did, and probably what I'll continue until I'm stronger...I generally don't mess with group ride packs, people "concentrate" on following the leader too much and aren't aware of their surroundings...kindof like a flock of sheep...

93...I think the one goes the opposite way...and perhaps they've gotten themselves a little more sorted out by now. A couple friends of mine were up a little further and got mixed in the Scarlett's and B-ham rides at a point where they were at the same place at the same time.... I'm sure the mix of the two groups didn't play well with the ride leaders. So perhaps they've moved around a bit to avoid that...

Not positive, Haven't ridden any of those rides yet.

coylifut
04-20-2005, 12:01 AM
some of these group rides really get under my skin. The ones that basically turn into a impromtu race through town and country reek havoc with drivers, pedestrians and other riders. No wonder people hate us out there. I went on one last year that was literally a race through the town I live in and the adjecent country side. People running stop signs, crossing the center line, crossing your front wheel, you name it. After about 15 minutes of this crap, we put a friend of ours on the front that's a bonafide hammer, terminator, killer. He strung the thing out hard for about 25 minutes. People were so blown, none of em could do anything but grovel in the gutter. However, as soon as we approached the next town and had to slow it down, same crap all over again.

rant over. good night.

shinomaster
04-20-2005, 01:05 AM
Don't use a pink triangle or a rainbow flag.

Brons2
04-20-2005, 01:11 AM
I would probably yell out "I'm going straight!!!"

I have a big booming shout,so I'm sure i would be heard.

bshell
04-20-2005, 01:28 AM
just out of curiosity, where are you two riding?

in 17 years of riding in a fairly popular cycling county i have never had a problem with either passing or being passed by a club/group/team ride. it just seems like the whole situation would pass in a mere matter of seconds either way.

just wondering.

Climb01742
04-20-2005, 04:43 AM
a firm handshake. ;)

Kevin
04-20-2005, 05:41 AM
In NY we extend our middle finger to indicate we are going straight. We also extend our middle finger to indicate we are stopping, making a left turn, making a right turn, slowing down, indicating road kill, indicating a pot hole, etc. ;)

Kevin

Too Tall
04-20-2005, 05:49 AM
Left signal and look for dorks overlapping and if some lemming looks like they are going to follow you or cross wheels say "I'm not turning" or something to the effect.

That was a classic cluster @#$%. I suppose turning right is an option even though you should not have to. Just use your judgement...or throw ball bearings...your call.

M_A_Martin
04-20-2005, 06:17 AM
Bron2: Yep, when I'm more confident on the bike, I'm a bit more aggressive to staking my turf on the road or anywhere else for that matter and this sort of thing isn't an issue...

BShell: Detroit...you'd think as cyclist unfriendly as this town is supposed to be, we'd be more considerate to each other!
Well, actually, the area in question is up in Auburn Hills, a suburb of Detroit. And this doesn't happen often...although with my buddies getting mixed up with the two groups earlier this spring, it seems to be happening more often. We actually have a fairly active cycling community here in Michigan. It's very nice in many ways...this time I was on the not-so-nice side of it.

Time wise BSHell, these aren't groups of 20 riders, these are groups of 40 or more. Usually there's a fast crowd, some stragglers between groups, a slow crowd, and more stragglers. Mid summer the groups will swell up to 100 riders or more. So with the varying speeds, it does take a bit more than a few seconds for the herd to pass. The group rides are a blast, and I enjoy the socialization and workout that you get in a group ride. And we have them going just about every night of the week if you want to drive a little.

Of course, I made an observation after my accident (broadsided on a mortocycle):
Life changes can take years, days, hours, minutes, seconds, or fractions of seconds. I've found that I like the shortest ones the least as they seem to be the most violent and appear at the most unfortunate moments when I'm having a wonderful time.

My original post came about because I was annoyed that I often hear cyclist complaining of cars passing them and turning in front of them and members of this cycling group did the same to me. Would they do the same in a car? They were comfortable with their speed, distance, and space allowance. Why does getting on a bike make the rules of the road any different than when you're in a car?

William
04-20-2005, 06:29 AM
...I was annoyed that I often hear cyclist complaining of cars passing them and turning in front of them and members of this cycling group did the same to me. Would they do the same in a car? They were comfortable with their speed, distance, and space allowance. Why does getting on a bike make the rules of the road any different than when you're in a car?

This is one of the issues that really burns me. I can't tell you how many times I would be driving my car through Portland and have cyclists blast through lights, cut through traffic, go the wrong way up streets, turn without signaling, jump up onto sidewalks and then back into the street, and all other sorts of bonehead maneuvers. Then they wonder why motorists can get so irked about cyclists. Sometimes cyclists are our own worst enemy in the quest for respect by the motoring public.

How many of you "call out" bone heads for doing such maneuvers? I do whenever I can. I think BBDave mentioned yelling to a guy who was on the wrong side of the road. A lot of times they will tell you to get bent. But if you can change one or two cyclists attitudes, we're making progress.

William

coylifut
04-20-2005, 09:11 AM
This is one of the issues that really burns me. I can't tell you how many times I would be driving my car through Portland and have cyclists blast through lights, cut through traffic, go the wrong way up streets, turn without signaling, jump up onto sidewalks and then back into the street, and all other sorts of bonehead maneuvers. Then they wonder why motorists can get so irked about cyclists. Sometimes cyclists are our own worst enemy in the quest for respect by the motoring public.

How many of you "call out" bone heads for doing such maneuvers? I do whenever I can. I think BBDave mentioned yelling to a guy who was on the wrong side of the road. A lot of times they will tell you to get bent. But if you can change one or two cyclists attitudes, we're making progress.

William

I know this is getting OT here, but I always get a chuckle out of people who when seeing a cyclist passing a long line of cars on the right hand side approaching a stop sign, will actually move their car right to cut off the lane of travel for the cyclist. I just ride on the gravel or what ever shoulder is available. Last week, I passed a 1/2 mile long string of cars and a full 15 minutes later this guy pulls up to me and cusses me a blue-streak for passing everyone on the right. I remembered the car, because he clearly tried to cut me off somewhere in the middle of the jam. Because I have a policy of zero random confrontation, I pedaled on.

flydhest
04-20-2005, 09:15 AM
I signal straight by kissing a woman.

M_A_Martin
04-20-2005, 09:31 AM
I don't think that would work for me fly...quite the opposite...

Between that and Bron2 yelling "I'm going straight" we might at least slow some people down.

flydhest
04-20-2005, 09:47 AM
I don't think that would work for me fly...quite the opposite...

Between that and Bron2 yelling "I'm going straight" we might at least slow some people down.

true enough, but you did ask "how do you signal straight" not "how should I signal straight"

:D

CalfeeFly
04-20-2005, 10:18 AM
The group you described to me sounds like the wannabes that ride the trail in Philadelphia from the park to Valley Forge. They are infamous for blowing by folks without a word, ignoring any hellos and generally being jerks. They can be easily spotted since almost everyone will wear a team kit and they tend to ride good equipment. In another thread they were mentioned.

I say Don't Bother because they don't think what they did was wrong. To them you are an insignificant nobody that can't ride like them and you plain old don't count. That's why they did it without a thought. The jerks (and I really should use a word starting with a) are growing expotentially and it is getting scary.

The other reason I say Don't Bother is on occassion if it is a single rider or two and they hear me I might shout call your pass or such. It is always ignored.

I also say don't bother because when properly motivated I catch them which immediately points out to them they aren't as hot as they think and try to explain about how easy a bike to bike crash can occur. The wannabes just look at you like who do you think you are to tell me anything.

The last one to come by me about 1 inch away with all sorts of room and no warning and full team kit I planned to ignore. Then I realized as he climbed the hill he really wasn't very fast and had picked up speed just to be a jerk passing me. Then I did get a little ticked and I caught him around the top of the hill, pointed out to him he really wasn't very fast as I did not have to work all that hard to catch him and I wasn't even breathing hard. (A slight exageration but it sounded good.) Since I timed it perfectly a good downhill came right up and my fat butt screams downhill. I pulled over to wave as he went by when he finally caught me.

Truth be told I think he would just do the same thing again. A jerk is a jerk is a jerk. They are only about themselves. :bike:

bshell
04-20-2005, 09:04 PM
M_A

thanks for the response.

definitely sounds busier out there. good luck with your knee recovery.

gasman
04-21-2005, 12:17 AM
some of these group rides really get under my skin. The ones that basically turn into a impromtu race through town and country reek havoc with drivers, pedestrians and other riders. No wonder people hate us out there. I went on one last year that was literally a race through the town I live in and the adjecent country side. People running stop signs, crossing the center line, crossing your front wheel, you name it. After about 15 minutes of this crap, we put a friend of ours on the front that's a bonafide hammer, terminator, killer. He strung the thing out hard for about 25 minutes. People were so blown, none of em could do anything but grovel in the gutter. However, as soon as we approached the next town and had to slow it down, same crap all over again.

rant over. good night.

LOL- perfect to get a hammerhead out front and beat them up. Fortunately in the group rides around here, while they can get pretty heated , don't have people all over the road pissing everyone off.

William
04-21-2005, 06:09 AM
I know this is getting OT here, but I always get a chuckle out of people who when seeing a cyclist passing a long line of cars on the right hand side approaching a stop sign, will actually move their car right to cut off the lane of travel for the cyclist. I just ride on the gravel or what ever shoulder is available. Last week, I passed a 1/2 mile long string of cars and a full 15 minutes later this guy pulls up to me and cusses me a blue-streak for passing everyone on the right. I remembered the car, because he clearly tried to cut me off somewhere in the middle of the jam. Because I have a policy of zero random confrontation, I pedaled on.

Hi Coy,

I wasn't trying to single Portland out, it's just that of the places I've lived, that's where I saw it the most. But then again, given that Portland is one of the top cycling cities in the US.....more cyclists, more possiblities for boneheads. :bike:

Have you had the priviledge of playing rodeo with Metro Bus drivers yet??? :fight:

William