PDA

View Full Version : Crank suggestions for DA10 kit to replace stock battle-axe.

Wayne77
04-19-2005, 10:32 PM
For my new Concours frame (pics to be posted this weekend) I had been planning on a Chorus 10 kit but I may end up going with DA 10 since my other bikes are Ultegra 9 and DA 9, and I want some compatibility to swap wheels, etc. I also test rode the Chorus stuff and the levers feel a little "platicy" to me -not as solid as the DA 10 levers, just a personal preference.

So it looks like I may go with DA10 instead, but I have one problem - I just can't convince myself that I will get used to the looks of the cranks. No offence to those who like them, maybe my tastes are too old fashioned I don't know...I'm trying hard to like them. The polished alumimum arms and sculpted rings look pretty cool on their own, but they are just to d@mn overpowering on a traditional bike frame, IMO. Maybe if you're into those spinner wheels on cars and attaching razor sharp instruments of death to your frame they'd be nice :rolleyes: ...I guess I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to cranks. The Campy cranks, IMO, look great.

Can anyone suggest an alternative crankset to go with a DA10 kit? I don't like the FSA cranks - waaaay too many decals and I'm afraid the carbon would get all scuffed up. How about the Truvativ Roleur Giga X pipe cranks? Has anyone tried those? I'm looking for a polished look to go with the rest of the kit, not a boat anchor, and possibly with the outboard bearings. Any suggestions?

Louis
04-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Some of the coolest cranks, IMO: TA Carmina Double with black chainrings. Don't know how they would look on your Concourse, though.

See them here: TA Cranks (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=5056)

Louis

dirtdigger88
04-19-2005, 10:55 PM
http://www.poshbikes.com/product.php?id=9

I think Tune makes a cool crank- I would install this one- use Ultegra10 chainring- your in business

I hear PMP makes a good product too- anyone know where you can buy em' at though?

Jason

coylifut
04-19-2005, 11:10 PM
You'll get comfortable with the look. Besides, you can't see it when you're riding. Plus, you'll be going so fast no one else will see it either. If you really can't stand it, get the prior version of the DA crank. Traditional, nice looking, priced right and will work fine with with DA 10. Plus you can use an Ultegra bottom bracket which are bomproof and really inexpensive.

dave thompson
04-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Tune cranks are cool, I have them on my Legend. They can be had in 130 and 110 BCD, double or triple. Or if you want to stick with Shimano equipment, the Ultegra 10-sp stuff is more conventional looking.

mavic1010
04-20-2005, 12:07 AM
Just get the crankset and switch out the big chainring to a conventional one.

Climb01742
04-20-2005, 05:02 AM
wow, those tune cranks are gorgeous! thanks for posting, dave.

Too Tall
04-20-2005, 06:14 AM
Wow Tune copied Cook Bros.

Wayne77
04-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the Tune crank suggestion, Dirt and Dave. Those look very nice!

I'll look into the Tune and possibly the TA cranks (Thanks Louis)

Wayne77
04-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Just get the crankset and switch out the big chainring to a conventional one.

Hmm..that's an interesting idea. I'm not sure how the part of the ring that merges with the spider arm would look though. How does this look? Anyone have pics of a setup like this?

Thanks for the ideas

dirtdigger88
04-20-2005, 09:12 AM
no pix- I have wondered if it is possible to polish an Ultegra chainring to the luster of DA- the Ultegra rings are much more conventional- yes the tune cranks are WAY cool-

jason