PDA

View Full Version : Your advice please: applying cork bar tape w/o adhesive backing

Louis
09-19-2010, 09:00 PM
I’m finally getting around to changing the bar tape on my daily driver. Unfortunately, the Cinelli cork tape I’d like to use (good color match) has been sitting around quite a while and the glue-stuff on the back has all dried up. I can think of two options:

1) Remove existing tape and just apply “new” tape hoping that the gunk left on the bars and moderate stretching will be enough to hold it in place.

2) Put double-sided tape on the bars then lay the new tape over that.

Your thoughts?

TIA

PS Jobs like this are always tricky for me because unlike most "remove and replace" maintenance, they require actual skill to do well, and I just don't do them often enough to actually learn and remember.

malcolm
09-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Louis, grain of salt here, but most tape wrapped tightly doesn't need backing tape, it will stay on just fine. Now problem with cork is it will tear, some fairly easily.

rcnute
09-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Louis, grain of salt here, but most tape wrapped tightly doesn't need backing tape, it will stay on just fine. Now problem with cork is it will tear, some fairly easily.

I usually remove the adhesive backing from Cinelli tape and it hasn't slipped on me. (Easier when switching tape and bars as I am wont to do.)

Ryan

Charles M
09-19-2010, 10:31 PM
I actually prefer tapeless...

dave thompson
09-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Louis, apply an underwrap of 'hockey' tape. It prevents movement of the handlebar tape and keeps it securely in place.

AndrewS
09-19-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm always thrilled when the tape has no adhesive.

CNY rider
09-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Louis, apply an underwrap of 'hockey' tape. It prevents movement of the handlebar tape and keeps it securely in place.

Winner.

William
09-20-2010, 06:51 AM

Yup. :beer:

It's what I've been doing with my HB since the first iteration.

William

thwart
09-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Nice thing about this sort of bar tape is the fact that you can easily re-do things if it doesn't work out quite right.

You can use a stray piece of electrical tape wrapped around once, or a rubber band to hold things in place if you need to 'let go' of the tension* when working around ergos/brake levers and such. Don't wrap the electrical tape too tightly though... it'll be a PITA to remove.

*older tape... therefore lots of tension while wrapping = torn tape. :crap:

Louis
09-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks guys. I bought the hockey tape and will give it a shot.

Blue Jays
09-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Rear here for Tom Kellogg taping technique:
Tom Kellogg taping technique (http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/63.htm)

bigflax925
09-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Rear here for Tom Kellogg taping technique:
Tom Kellogg taping technique (http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/63.htm)

This could really benefit from a YouTube video.