PDA

View Full Version : Origin of Jay Walking

MattTuck
09-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Was eating dinner with some friends the other night and the topic of jay walking came up. A friend, who is German, wondered where that term came from... so we did a quick search on wikipedia and were interested with what we found.

The basic version is that it was a concerted effort by the early automobile industry to define roads as the domain of cars and not pedestrians.

Not to be political, but 100 years later, it is sad to see how well their efforts worked.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking
The word jaywalk is a compound word derived from the word jay, an inexperienced person, and walk.[4] No historical evidence supports an alternative folk etymology by which the word is traced to the letter "J" (characterizing the route a jaywalker might follow).

In towns in the American Midwest in the early 20th century, "jay" was a synonym for "rube", a pejorative term for a rural resident, assumed by many urbanites to be stupid, slightly unintelligent, or perhaps simply naïve. Such a person did not know to keep out of the way of other pedestrians and speeding automobiles.[5] It may also have been coined from the existing American word Jayhawker, being a term for American guerillas in Missouri in the 19th century.

Originally, the legal rule was that "all persons have an equal right in the highway, and that in exercising the right each shall take due care not to injure other users of the way."[6] In time, however, streets became the province of motorized traffic, both practically and legally. Automobile interests in the USA took up the cause of labeling and scorning jaywalkers in the 1910s and early 1920s; a counter-campaign to name (and disapprove of) "jay drivers" failed.[7]

Mike748
09-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Or as I was rudely reminded of this morning in Texas... trucks.

AndrewS
09-18-2010, 04:14 PM
One has only to subject oneself to the seemingly arbitrary and blind movement of walkers on area bike paths to feel a kinship to those early auto enthusiasts.

Don49
09-18-2010, 04:19 PM
I got a lesson on the legal definition of Jay Walking, courtesy of a local police officer. I was crossing a neighborhood street in mid-block, with no vehicles approaching from either direction. As I reached the other side a police car swooped in, the officer stated he was conducting a "crack down" on jay walkers, and issued me a citation.

When I researched code section I was cited for violating I found that Jay Walking has a very precise definition, at least in California. That definition is
"Between adjacent intersections controlled by traffic control signal devices or by police officers, pedestrians shall not cross the roadway at any place except in a crosswalk."

At the point where I was crossing I was not between adjacent controlled intersections. I plead not guilty on my jay walking citation, appeared in court, explained the code section to the judge, and the case was dismissed. It would have been dismissed anyway since the officer didn't appear.

I still feel pretty good about winning that one, but still pissed off that a cop would be conducting a "crack down" on a violation that he didn't even understand.

oliver1850
09-18-2010, 08:22 PM