PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in posting ride pictures?

700 x 23c
04-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Open road in the desert SW....

Ti Designs
04-19-2005, 07:26 PM
I'll have to take my camera with me some time. That way when I get lost I can show people where I was...

Ed Sassler
ed@wheelworks.com

David Kirk
04-19-2005, 07:59 PM
It's hard to choose a photo. Too much to see. Those of you joining the forum gathering here in Bozeman this August will ride down this road on Saturday. There are miles and miles of these views.

I'm a very fortunate man.

Dave

M_A_Martin
04-19-2005, 08:20 PM
And you want me to work sag? ;)

BumbleBeeDave
04-19-2005, 08:27 PM
I appreciate that you’re trying to earn a living and all, but you really do need to put in a few hours on your house . . . that IS your house there, isn’t it? ;)

BBDave

Sandy
04-19-2005, 08:36 PM
More pictures from everyone.

Sadly, I don't even have a camera.

The 2 pictures thus far are simply outstanding.

Shutterbug Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
04-19-2005, 08:40 PM
. . . but I generally ride my bike while I’m riding my bike, instead of taking pictures.

BBDave

700 x 23c
04-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Nice picture Dave....Must be great to ride and see snow in the distance.

dave thompson
04-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Nice picture Dave....Must be great to ride and see snow in the distance.
The view from the World Headquarters at the Kirk Frameworks factory is somewhat the same, beautiful Montana mountains. Maybe that's why he builds such damn good bikes.

Louis
04-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Those of you joining the forum gathering here in Bozeman this August will ride down this road on Saturday.

Dave, I hope the route does not take us through those "little hills" because if it does ...

Seriously, what is Bozeman's elevation, and how much climbing do you anticipate in the Gd'B?

St Louis is about 500 ft above sea level, so not much altitude training going on here. Maybe I can come out a few weeks before the Giro and spend some time getting used to things in Camp 1 and 2, then go back down to base camp at the hotel!

Louis

David Kirk
04-19-2005, 11:07 PM
Hey -

Louis -

The elevation at my house is about 5000'. The low point of Saturday's ride will be about 5200' and the hight point is 6300'. Basically we'll go up and over one major ridge ( Battle Ridge for those with maps) on the way out and back over the ridge on the way back. So it's a 50 mile ride with about 2200' of vertical. Most all of it takes place pretty gradually but there are a few steep low gear pitches.

Dave T. is correct....the world headquarters are just on the other side of the mountains in the photo I posted. No we will not be going over those 9200' peaks. Not much in the way of roads up there.

BBD - That's not my home but it's a rental property I own. I'm a MT slum lord. I rent it to low income folks for $2500 a month.

MAM - I don't want you to drive sag....I want you do have a good time and if you can ride you should. If you want to cheat and make it a shorter ride I'm sure we can figure that out.

This photo was taken on my side of the hill.

Dave

bcm119
04-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Posting pictures of your local rides is a great idea. More pictures!

I'll try to get some pics of my neck of the (mossy) woods on Thursday.

M_A_Martin
04-19-2005, 11:54 PM
Dave,
I was just yanking your chain...
:)

If I'm there and not up for riding, of course I'll drive sag!

vaxn8r
04-20-2005, 12:43 AM
Old McKenzie Hwy...in the Cascades. Classic ride out and back over the pass, up through the lava fields. 4,000 ft up to the pass at 5,500 ft, down to Sisters then back up 2,000 ft before the big descent. 80 miles of Heaven.

vandeda
04-20-2005, 05:17 AM
Taken while riding to a friends place last friday night on the bike path in niskayuna ny.

dan

William
04-20-2005, 05:59 AM
Vax,

Don't do that too me. I know those rides and I miss them.

bcm...don't do it! I mean it, don't do it.....you're going to make me.....make me......<sniff>....<choke>.......

William ;) :) (more!)

Len J
04-20-2005, 06:33 AM
[I can't compete with Dave'sbeautiful mountains, so how about some flats? This is the BBay this winter, and a flat farm fiels in winter, ansd the only hill in the county

Enjoy

Len
>

RABikes2
04-20-2005, 08:20 AM
Vaxn8r and Dave,

Your areas for riding are inspiring! WOW! Thank you for sharing.

700 x 23c
04-20-2005, 09:41 AM
great pictures....I can't wait to see some spring time pictures in the NE. :banana:

PanTerra
04-20-2005, 09:41 AM
One of my clubs had a trip to the Lake Caddo area for a weekend of pedalling and paddling.

Wayne77
04-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Here's a ride I do several times a month. Antelope island in the Great Salt Lake. We've got plenty of nice alpine canyone rides around here, so this is a nice change of pace. I've got this pic as my wallpaper at work. It makes me want to go out and ride (as do all of those other beautiful pics posted!!)

I posted a full ride report here a few months back on rbr:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=22475&highlight=antelope+island

Wayne

bcm119
04-20-2005, 12:36 PM
bcm...don't do it! I mean it, don't do it.....you're going to make me.....make me......<sniff>....<choke>.......

William ;) :) (more!)

You'd better buy some kleenex big guy, because I'm bringing the camera on the Decker loop tomorrow.

lnomalley
04-20-2005, 01:33 PM
last day of training camp in solvang... and these guys asked if they could sit in with us on the way out to jalama beach....(which was friggin cool!!!)

crf
04-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Assvertising.

Bradford
04-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Here are three pics from my honeymoon :banana: , which included a bike trip down the Icefields Parkway in the Canadian Rockies. (BBD, don't get excited, I'm not posting those pictures :crap: ).

The first is from Stoker Cam, the second was actually taken from the bike, and the third...well it was my honeymoon after all.

Tom
04-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Picture number two apparently settles that question.

700 x 23c
04-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Just finished a nice ride listening to Jimmy Buffet and snapped some shots. I got "lucky" and road by a rattlesnake. Usually they are road kill, but this one was not (not yet at least).

mtflycaster
04-20-2005, 04:34 PM
That ain't no rattlesnake!

700 x 23c
04-20-2005, 04:39 PM
You might be right...just assumed it was...we certainly do have a bunch around here...What kind of snake is it? It sure got my heart racing when I passed it.

Sandy
04-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Notice it's curled in a large S shape. It is a Serotta Sidewinder- a most deadly snake. :)

Snake Sandy

hypnos
04-20-2005, 05:45 PM
.... I think.

Sandy
04-20-2005, 06:06 PM
That ain't no king snake. King snakes normally have yellow or white bands around them in a ring like appearance. They are constrictors and actually eat rattlesnakes and are immune to the rattlesnake's venom.

Are you coming to the Serotta weekend this year? It was very enjoyable meeting and riding with you last year.

Snake in the grass,

Snake Sandy

Ray
04-20-2005, 06:11 PM
These are a few samples from the area I ride in several times a week. Shot a summer or two ago. Plenty of short, steep hills. Not many long ones. Lots of beautiful, isolated farm roads with almost no traffic. Heaven.

-Ray

Ray
04-20-2005, 06:21 PM
A few more...

PanTerra
04-20-2005, 06:33 PM
That ain't no king snake. King snakes normally have yellow or white bands around them in a ring like appearance. They are constrictors and actually eat rattlesnakes and are immune to the rattlesnake's venom.

Are you coming to the Serotta weekend this year? It was very enjoyable meeting and riding with you last year.

Snake in the grass,

Snake Sandy

Maybe it is a Prairie King Snake.
http://biology4.wustl.edu/tyson/faunareptprking.html

saab2000
04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Ray,

Those roads look awesome!!! If I end up in Pennsylania next I look forward to that kind of riding!!! Philly is one possibility and if that is what I have to look forward to I am there!

Ray
04-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Ray,

Those roads look awesome!!! If I end up in Pennsylania next I look forward to that kind of riding!!! Philly is one possibility and if that is what I have to look forward to I am there!
We're about a half hour west and slightly south of Philly. But if you live in the western burbs, you can get out here pretty easily. I'm lucky enough to be able to ride out my door and get into this type of riding within 15 minutes or so.

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone ;)

-Ray

700 x 23c
04-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Sonoran Gopher Snake
http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/july/papr/gophersnake.html

I posted a question on the Arizona Herpetological Association forum (interestling, uses the same software as Serotta forum).

Sorry for the incorrect snake identification in my initial post..... :beer:

cycleman_21
04-20-2005, 07:59 PM
http://newhorizonsbikes.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=230

click on images and see one of my favorite rides of the year,
usally with over 4,000 ft of climbing as well,route changes a
little every year
(PLUG) NH also sells Serottas :)

RC

William
04-21-2005, 05:29 AM
You'd better buy some kleenex big guy, because I'm bringing the camera on the Decker loop tomorrow.

:crap: :crap: :crap:

William :D

PanTerra
04-21-2005, 10:20 AM
I am really enjoying seeing all these ride photos, it is kind of nice not just talking about grams, frame material, and componentry and actually see what it is that really drives us in our passion of cycling. I was wondering if this thread could be made into a sub-section of the image gallery.

M_A_Martin
04-21-2005, 10:29 AM
That would be cool if it included a map on where the picture was!

OldDog
04-21-2005, 12:45 PM
That would be cool if it included a map on where the picture was!

If not a map maybe some gps coordinates.

Speaking of maps, how about a section of the forum consisting of ride maps we all could pick and choose from should we find ourselves in the area.

So many beautiful places to ride, so little time. Sigh.

vaxn8r
04-21-2005, 06:34 PM
Ray, those are beautiful. I lived in New England in the late 70's-80's. Pennsylvania is a gorgeous state.

ergott
04-21-2005, 08:53 PM
I can't resist. Mt Washington, 2004. In lots of pain and slow as hell.
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//6000ftpost.jpg

-Eric

700 x 23c
04-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Awesome picture Eric. :)

bcm119
04-21-2005, 10:48 PM
I took some pics on my lunchtime ride near Corvallis Oregon.
1. Looking west towards the coast range from the flat Willamette Valley.
2. A beautiful old farm along Decker Road.

bcm119
04-21-2005, 10:51 PM
3. Heading up the first climb
4. A powerbar break at the foot of Mary's Peak rd. (If I didn't have to work the rest of the day I'd climb the rest of the 9 miles to the top!)

bcm119
04-21-2005, 10:53 PM
5. Some curves on the descent. I can't believe I slowed down to take these photos for you guys! Hope you enjoyed 'em.

Louis
04-21-2005, 11:46 PM
BCM, you didn't have to slow down on our account. You could have just ridden "no hands" for a bit, snapped the pics and kept on going... Seriously, it looks like a super place to ride.

One of my absolutely favorite things about cycling is my first ride in a nice area that is not familiar to me. There's just something about pedaling along, taking it all in that just makes it so neat. Seeing all these pics reminds me of that.

Ray, your pics look a lot like some of the roads around here near my house. It's just a bit more residential here, but there are some spots that are nearly identical.

Saab2000 - If you can get a job flying out of the Spirit of St Louis airport I can show you roads like Ray's that are a 15 minute ride away from the runway.

Louis

William
04-22-2005, 07:47 AM
ThaFks alot bcm, I tFld you not to post thoFe pictures. I got so misty tFat I jumped on Fy bike and trieF to ride riFht into the comFuter moniFor. Now the moniFor is Fracked and the keyFoard is broken and throFs out random F's. :crap:

Seriously, very cool. Thanks!

1.) Looks like the first road on the right after you climb the first short hill on Bellfountain, after the long flat just outside of town.
2.) Not sure. Looks like maybe looking to the south on the lower part of Decker (I could be wrong on that).
3.) That's the spot where a Buck jumped out of the woods on the right, bounded once or twice across the road in front of me, then was gone down the hill to the left. I was coming down the hill at a good clip. That's about mid way up the climb on Decker.
4.) If that's the spot I'm thinking of, there is an out building to the right (if this is at the base of the climb just off the main road.
5.) Ahh! The switch-backs that eventually take you down to where Decker comes out to the main road.

Thanks Big Guy!

William

David Kirk
04-22-2005, 08:50 AM
I love this thread....what cool photos. Thanks to you all and keep it up please.

Dave

Ray
04-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Ray, your pics look a lot like some of the roads around here near my house. It's just a bit more residential here, but there are some spots that are nearly identical.
It's a bit more residential in a lot of areas around here too, but I wasn't gonna show THOSE pictures ;) But there's a LOT of the rolling farmland like in the shots I posted, much of it very wealthy horse country, but also a lot of dirt farms if you get a little farther out. For the time being, I can stay away from most of the residential and get into very rural areas. Hopefully, the development will be concentrated enough not to eat up all of the countryside. Time will tell. We've made pretty good progress in that regard around here, but the area's still booming, so it could still disappear pretty fast. A lot of the horse farms are actually eased against future development, so a lot of the area should stay pretty close to pristine.

-Ray

bcm119
04-22-2005, 11:48 AM
William- correct on all counts. What a memory! I thought I'd fool you with the first picture at least, since you don't actually ride that way on the loop.

William
04-22-2005, 02:00 PM
William- correct on all counts. What a memory! I thought I'd fool you with the first picture at least, since you don't actually ride that way on the loop.

I've logged thousands of miles around that area. North, south, east, and west from Corvallis. Even when I moved to Portland I would still occasionally come down there to ride.

Thanks again!

William

flydhest
04-22-2005, 02:08 PM
bcm, your pictures just caused me to check to see if OSU was hiring economics professors. Those are some great pictures.

William
04-22-2005, 02:15 PM
bcm,

are they still running the TT climb up Mary's Peak?

William

bcm119
04-23-2005, 02:44 AM
bcm,

are they still running the TT climb up Mary's Peak?

William

I don't think so...at least its not on the obra calendar. Maybe in a less official sense. The big TT around here is the 40k, which is a down-and-back on Bellfountain from the Philomath middle school, although we are losing that TT also because the folks who organized it are moving to Hood River. Not my cup of tea-- I'd much prefer a Marys Peak climb TT!

Fly- I don't think they teach economics here- its called forestry here and all you have to know is that trees = money. ;)

shaq-d
04-23-2005, 08:21 AM
my first real ride of the season. 50km, 25km/h avg. not too impressive, but it'll improve as the yr goes on. this is the Don Valley trail from suburbia _into the city_ and down to the lakefront downtown... i took a bunch of pictures, i hope you guys like them.

First picture: from my 'hood in suburbia, it started off real dark...

2nd pic.. on the trail: a river runs through it.

shaq-d
04-23-2005, 08:24 AM
a river runs through it... (that's my serotta on the bottom right corner of that pic)

finally at the lake... (you call those waves a lake? more like ocean.. was freezing today, i felt like a euro cyclist along the coast with insane headwind.. but i love starting my first real ride of the season suffering; last yr my first metric and imperial centuries were both on rainy days).

and, amidst the mix of nature and urban-ity.. it's an odd mix to be sure.. my favourite piece of graffiti, it's been there for years.

shaq-d
04-23-2005, 08:30 AM
this is an interesting park along the lakefront trail.. it's a past and current dumping ground for industry.. you look one way, you see a beautiful lakefront and on clear days the CN Tower and downtown Toronto skyline.. you look the other way, you see a desolate landscape of mud and concrete, nothing lives.. dull and crappy.

the last picture, it's hard to see it, but all that stuff before you see the water is concrete trash, tires, rock, etc.

all of these pics in a single day on the lakefront trail in toronto :banana:

sd

spiderlake
04-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Some pictures from a route I ride on Old Mission Peninsula in Traverse City, Michigan. The Old Mission Lighthouse is featured in one of the photos and the other is a normal view of the lakeshore. From the base of the peninsula out to the point is about 18 miles of rolling to steep hills, breathtaking views and a handful of wineries. I should mention these were taken last summer. It is snowing today!

arsegas
04-23-2005, 11:05 AM
I agree...this thread is great...it's making me want to buy that bike travel case even more. It'd be nice if we had a Forum section dedicated to ride pictures.

Here's some pictures of some rides south of San Francisco in the Redwood Groves between Palo Alto and the ocean.

- Eric

Lost Weekend
04-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Arsegas,that ride looks just like one I do here in santa cruz thru henry cowell state park. Gotta love those access,fire roads with no traffic. Nice photo's all!!

William
04-23-2005, 05:37 PM
I don't think so...at least its not on the obra calendar. Maybe in a less official sense. The big TT around here is the 40k, which is a down-and-back on Bellfountain from the Philomath middle school, although we are losing that TT also because the folks who organized it are moving to Hood River. Not my cup of tea-- I'd much prefer a Marys Peak climb TT!

My last year of crew, the year before I started racing road bikes, I volunteered for the 40k TT. I was helping out my friend who worked at Edan Nutrition (Wes, now owner of Stokers Vita World). It started at the Old Mill school at that time. I worked the turn around at the bottom of the hill/start of the climb, just after the big rollers that start past Decker & Bellfoutain.

I'd prefer doing the Peak myself as well.

William

vaxn8r
04-23-2005, 06:19 PM
arsegas, that's the ride I did in NorCal last January. Well, one of them anyway. If it wasn't that road it was one just like it. Amazing!

davep
04-24-2005, 08:13 AM
but since I don't have any good photos of where I normally ride, and its a pretty boring area anyway, here are photos from last summer in the French Alps. The first is of the D211, a road that goes off the road up Alpe d'Huez about half way up and runs along the mountain side. The second is a view from the D211 and the third is on the Col du Sarenne, which is the back way off Alpe d'Huez. A much less travelled, and at times rougher, road the the main road up the Alpe.